Unloved - What is your total?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Unloved - What is your total?

Post by noikmeister » 05 November 13 8:58 pm

One of my favourite sub-games in geocaching is going to get the ACT's most unloved cache. I'm in a pretty unique situation since there are lots of bush caches in the ACT only an hour's drive (but then many hours walking or riding) from home.

As the year draws to a close I have been looking at my stats and using the Spread The Love Challenge rules of a minimum of 183 days since the last find I found.

I have clocked up 13,000 days so far in 2013 and have a total of 50,789 days or 139+ years.

So am I alone in actively chasing these caches? How many of you are out there and what is your total?

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Re: Unloved - What is your total?

Post by Yurt » 05 November 13 10:21 pm

I do like to chase them but they are hard to come by in the Sydney region. I like to look at the nearest unfound (for me) and then click the "last found" header twice to bring up the longest unfound caches within 80km. It's 2.5 years since this cache was found but by the looks of it there's no cache to find any more. There are three more not found since 2011 and that's it.

I don't have a method of calculating which ones I've found apart from my relevant locationless logs and I haven't worked out the days/years. I don't use GSAK which I assume is the tool for this.

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 06 November 13 5:51 am

I started keeping track because of a 5 year spread the love style challenge. I know I'm over 15 years in total (so I can do the 15 year challenge cache next time I go down that way), but can't say offhand what my exact total is. I keep the stats in an excel worksheet, the file is on another computer.

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 06 November 13 12:16 pm

There are quite a few Victorian's (and an ex-pat German) where this is a growing obsession.

Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Agent Basil » 06 November 13 2:37 pm

Oh, I thought this was a confession thread ......... moving right along !

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Doubly Unloved Geocaches

Post by pjmpjm » 06 November 13 5:49 pm

You're not alone. I've always loved finding those caches that have been 'unloved' for long periods of time. In fact, I think it was Yurt who first got me going on these quests. :)

There are more such forgotten caches here in the Blue Mountains than there were in the northwest of Sydney, when I was living there, so over the past couple of years I've had fun going out on remote expeditions to log hides that have sometimes been neglected for a year or two years or even longer.

Another interesting 'obscession' is finding archived geocaches. Of course, most COs take their little boxes away when they archive a cache . . . but not always. :roll:

And these 'doubly unloved' caches are even more fun to discover . . . \:D/

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 07 November 13 8:02 am

Hoojar

Re: Doubly Unloved Geocaches

Post by Hoojar » 08 November 13 8:43 am

pjmpjm wrote:YouAnother interesting 'obscession' is finding archived geocaches.
I've often wondered if this one is still there, it is up your way... http://coord.info/GC21F

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 08 November 13 9:05 am

Hoojar wrote:
pjmpjm wrote:YouAnother interesting 'obscession' is finding archived geocaches.
I've often wondered if this one is still there, it is up your way... http://coord.info/GC21F
I would bet it wasn't removed at the time. Whether it is still able to be found is another question... that warrants investigation!

I am a bit wary of coords that end in double zero for both south and east though...
S 33° 14.300 E 150° 13.600

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 08 November 13 10:31 am

Yurt wrote:
Hoojar wrote:
pjmpjm wrote:Another interesting 'obscession' is finding archived geocaches.
I would bet it wasn't removed at the time. Whether it is still able to be found is another question... that warrants investigation!

I am a bit wary of coords that end in double zero for both south and east though...
The clue was to see their website, so maybe it was an early version of a puzzle. Three previous finders (at least) are still active, maybe one of them will have some memory as to the location.

canary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by canary » 08 November 13 11:13 am

Hoojar wrote:
Yurt wrote:
Hoojar wrote:

The clue was to see their website, so maybe it was an early version of a puzzle. Three previous finders (at least) are still active, maybe one of them will have some memory as to the location.
It was replaced by http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0068

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 08 November 13 1:55 pm

canary wrote:
Hoojar wrote:
Yurt wrote:
Hoojar wrote:

It was replaced by http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0068
I thought that rang a bell. I remember seeing that on the map a long while back but wondered why there hasn't even been a logged attempt since 2007.

pjmpjm
Twitter: Booroobin

Re: Doubly Unloved Geocaches -- GC21F

Post by pjmpjm » 14 November 13 10:26 pm

Hoojar wrote:
I hope rogerw3 can make our way into that area in due course. We'll definitely have a look . . .

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 22 November 13 9:01 am

I did some calculations based on the caches I've logged on the 6 months, 1 year and 2 years unloved locationless and came up with 18 odd years so I qualified for the 15 year one at Berry, NSW and the one down in Melbourne. One of these was found with a group so just in case one of the other finders uses that one first I had to find another to make sure.
Yesterday I found this cache:
Burrendong Gates
Four years and two months unfound. That boosts the tally a bit!

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 22 November 13 9:14 am

Yurt wrote:I did some calculations based on the caches I've logged on the 6 months, 1 year and 2 years unloved locationless and came up with 18 odd years so I qualified for the 15 year one at Berry, NSW and the one down in Melbourne. One of these was found with a group so just in case one of the other finders uses that one first I had to find another to make sure.
Yesterday I found this cache:
Burrendong Gates
Four years and two months unfound. That boosts the tally a bit!
Good work! Those 4 year jobbies really give a boost.