Speaking of Angels... Conflicted.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Speaking of Angels... Conflicted.

Post by Zalgariath » 05 November 13 8:34 pm

A number of years ago when I was a more naive cacher I unofficially adopted an old Ideology cache in North Sydney. It went missing a few months after I found it and I replaced it. It has walked once more since then and again got another life. Now it seems it is gone a 3rd time... and well, thinking I should let it go. Would be sad to see a 2001 cache go, but it has had 2 Angel Cache interventions, and perhaps should finally be laid to rest.

Thoughts? I dont know if I can bring myself to NA log it, but ignored it should disappear soon.

caughtatwork

Re: Speaking of Angels... Conflicted.

Post by caughtatwork » 05 November 13 9:06 pm

GC or GCA?
Is the only one left for that month / year?
Which one is it?

Cankid
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by Cankid » 05 November 13 9:17 pm

Is it http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCD64_i3-cash? If so, I say try and keep it alive for historical purposes. It is always nice to find a really old one every now and again!

GLISS!

Post by GLISS! » 05 November 13 10:28 pm

Seems a shame to lose such an historic cache. Perhaps there is someone else that wants to adopt it?

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 06 November 13 5:44 am

I always wondered how that one survived for so long in such an open position. Now I understand, it doesn't, but you keep it alive :D .

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 06 November 13 9:06 am

I met one of those angels...

... for the sake of the Old School (and Jasmer) challenge perhaps it should survive.
Be good if someone local could adopt it - I know it can't be officially adopted without the CO's permission.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 06 November 13 9:15 am

There are about 55 older caches still around so it's not absolutely vital to keep it going but I would try.
I used to live in Miller St just opposite during the late 70s and early 80s and it is a great location for a cache.
The last find looks a little dodgy. Very new cacher with the find surrounded by DNFs.
I wonder if it could still be there, tucked back almost out of reach .....?

Lucy
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Lucy » 06 November 13 10:00 am

gmj3191 wrote:There are about 55 older caches still around so it's not absolutely vital to keep it going but I would try.
I used to live in Miller St just opposite during the late 70s and early 80s and it is a great location for a cache.
The last find looks a little dodgy. Very new cacher with the find surrounded by DNFs.
I wonder if it could still be there, tucked back almost out of reach .....?
The last finder didn't find it, they posted a DNF log later, for some reason they haven't removed their original find log. I'd say keep it alive.

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 06 November 13 11:39 am

I have a few of the orginal Tasmanian caches I try to look after. They were set by holidaying cachers, which isn't allowed now but back then there would have been no other way for caching to get started. It's difficult when you can't adopt without the previous owner's permission - mine have owners that don't cache any more or log into the site or respond to emails, so cache page information and coordinates cannot be updated - so no matter what happens to the site, you have to try to keep it right where it is even if a slightly different location might be less muggleable.

So I feel for you but have no idea what I'd do!

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 06 November 13 7:40 pm

I was thinking about this this morning and first first thought was "If you can officially take over the listing it would be worth it. You could change the position so it wouldn't get muggled."

But the I thought: What are you actually saving here? The original cache and log book are gone. I'm assuming that the original hider is gone and has abandoned their maintenance duties. It is clearly in a bad position if it continually gets muggled and if you were able to move it then it isn't even remotely like the original cache any more. So all you are doing is helping out other cachers get a statistic.

So I guess it comes back down to your own motivation for saving it. What are you trying to achieve?

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 06 November 13 8:37 pm

You could say that about Lane Cove though. There really is nothing there. You don't even visit GZ. I guess that's a virtual though.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 07 November 13 2:42 pm

noikmeister wrote:I was thinking about this this morning and first first thought was "If you can officially take over the listing it would be worth it. You could change the position so it wouldn't get muggled."

But the I thought: What are you actually saving here? The original cache and log book are gone. I'm assuming that the original hider is gone and has abandoned their maintenance duties. It is clearly in a bad position if it continually gets muggled and if you were able to move it then it isn't even remotely like the original cache any more. So all you are doing is helping out other cachers get a statistic.
This is very much my thoughts, it may be an old GC code and listing but everything else about this cache is new. Let it go, if you really love the location list a new cache nearby in a less muggle prone area.
Yurt wrote:You could say that about Lane Cove though. There really is nothing there. You don't even visit GZ. I guess that's a virtual though.
I can understand this cache being the first in Australia it has some significance and has been a virtual cache for a large percentage of its life.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 07 November 13 11:44 pm

The original hide was cut down due to age. I had pretty much decided I wouldn't replace it again. At the end of the day it is a small cache in a nice park... plenty of those around. That spot has been taken for 12 years... time to so goodbye I think.

tronador

Post by tronador » 13 November 13 10:13 pm

Are you sure its gone? The last few DN'sF are all relatively new cachers with not many finds.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 16 November 13 10:49 am

It's not where I last put it... though that was years ago now!