Cache listings and HTML

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
tronador
6500 or more caches found

Cache listings and HTML

Post by tronador » 30 September 13 10:24 pm

Help, When listing a new cache on GC, the cache page allows you to do the description in word format and has all the nice features like bold, colour etc just like a word doc....... in plain English. when you go back to edit what's been done this page disapears and you're expected to use html or if you don't all your nice word processing disappears......... why? How am I supposed to edit my cache, the nice easy way when the option is no longer available. Any short cuts????

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: Cache listings and HTML

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 01 October 13 2:08 am

Well, learning a few html tags probably wouldn't kill ya...

However, you should be able to save your Word doc in html format (you used to be able to, but I haven't paid my Microsoft tax for some years, so I can't be sure) and just paste that into the description. Some tags will probably be stripped out, but the basic ones ought to survive.
Make sure the "use html" box is ticked on the page, of course!

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 01 October 13 8:04 am

The current version of Word has the following options for saving:
single file web page
web page
web page, filtered

Or this site has a good guide to html specifically for geocaching:

http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resou ... codes.html

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 01 October 13 8:52 am

I think that when you said the description editor is in "Word" format you mean it's a WYSIWYG editor, that is, "What You See Is What You Get". I don't think that GC's editor is based any any MS Office product.

While creating your new listing there's an option to toggle between the plain, or simple, or what ever the right description for it is, and HTML.

I had a look at an existing cache and couldn't see a way to access the description in anything but HTML. But it might be that a new listing has an option. My guess is once you push submit your stuck with HTML.

If you only want to make minor changes then working though the HTML tags and editing just the text you want changed is pretty easy. If you really get stuck and Google confuses you then I'm sure that someone here would be able to help.
Last edited by roundcircle on 02 October 13 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tronador

Post by tronador » 01 October 13 11:59 pm

Thanks for all the help but I find HTML cumbersome and not user friendly. I can't see what the page will look like as I type. i'd forgotten about this great Add on for Firefox that I had because I switched over to Chrome.
Its called Xinha Here! 0.17 and is an add on for fire fox. Portable WYSIWYG editor! No matter what site you're visiting you can launch a WYSIWYG right in your browser.
It only works with Firefox.
So to edit my cache page all I have to do is right click on the short or long description and a drop down box allows me to open Xinha Here,I type what I like using the nice word processing buttons and I can lay it out so i can see it. When I'm done I apply it and magically my cache page has the correct layout without the need to know HTML.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 06 October 13 12:45 pm

That's a handy add on!

However, why GC.com dont have a wysiwyg editor is beyond me. Yes I can use the HMTL but for god's sake, 2013 here people.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 08 October 13 9:47 am

It took me with my mediocre programming skills a few hours to set up our WYSIWYG editor.
I'm sure there's heaps available for IIS/.NET/ASP setups... it is fairly trivial to implement.