Need new GPS

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
The3Rs

Need new GPS

Post by The3Rs » 28 September 13 11:08 pm

Hi everyone,
We are not new to caching but have not actively cached for the last 18 months. We have a Garmin Gps 60 which had never missed a beat until we took it out today and it died. Just wondering what GPS devices you guys recommend. Had to use the iphone today but we would prefer to buy another handheld GPS. Would appreciate recommendations.

Rainbow Spirit
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Re: Need new GPS

Post by Rainbow Spirit » 29 September 13 12:13 am

I've been using a Garmin Dakota 20 for about 2 years, hasn't missed a beat. I download caches direct from my PC. It shows log descriptions, logs, hints etc, etc. It fits in the palm of a hand, and has a nice readable touch screen. You can pick them up for under $300.

In the end most new GPSrs work OK, just get one that has the features you like. Good luck.

jusojara
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by jusojara » 01 October 13 9:47 am

Rainbow Spirit wrote:In the end most new GPSrs work OK, just get one that has the features you like. Good luck.
I think this is the key point, a GPSr can be a very personal choice. I use a Garmin Montana mainly because it doubles as a car navigator that I then pop out of the cradle and continue on foot or bike to the cache.

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 01 October 13 10:33 am

A lot depends on the peripherals you have as well. If you old 60 was the sum total of what you have, then its a pretty easy choice to move to a new GPS. If however, you have external power supplies, cradles, ect, for the old one, then you would want to be looking at a new one that uses your existing stuff.

When my old GPS 60 CSX had an issue, then I did look at the new 62. But, none of the external power cables, cradles, ect, fitted. It would have meant buying these twice over, for 2 vehicles. And in addition, I didn't like the external power supply port on the 62. In the end, I bought a second hand 60 CSX, rather than a new GPS.

rudi63
4500 or more caches found

Post by rudi63 » 15 October 13 5:57 pm

It is very much a personnel choice, I have a Dakota 20, but recently upgraded to an Oregon 550, which had an accident so it is now being replaced with an Orgeon 600 (http://www.prestigecom.net.au/Garmin-Or ... ndheld-GPS) good price, comparable with Amazon in the US, and a local company.....should arrive on Friday.....yeah

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 15 October 13 7:27 pm

I've 'mislaid' my Garmin 62CSx. Didn't lose it in the field as the last time I saw it was at home but I cannot find it. Mind you I 'mislaid' my Etrex a couple of years ago and bought the new one. Later I found the old one in a pocket in a bag. So that's my back-up but it's hard to go back to using that one!

I'd probably have to upgrade and I fancied the idea of wifi capability but the Monterra at over $700 is a tad expensive. The one in the link looks good at around $410 which is still serious coin but I have the advantage of being able to justify it as a work expense so I can reduce the cost by my marginal tax rate roughly. (I'm self-employed.)

Of course then I'll find the old one.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 16 October 13 9:04 am

I've owned a couple of Garmins with the last being a 60CSx . I combined this with a Garmin Nuvi which had all the cache details but it was getting old so for a bit of variety purchased a Magellan eXplorist 710. It has all the bells & whistles & does the job of a handheld & an in-car navigator. You can also record memos which comes in handy for waymarking. Some say it chews through battery power but haven't found that to be the case. Fits nicely in the hand & screen can be seen easily in full sunlight. Purchased mine from Johnny A. I use a RAM mount so only had to purchase the specific holder.

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 16 October 13 10:13 am

Rainbow Spirit wrote:In the end most new GPSrs work OK, just get one that has the features you like. Good luck.
I have to totally agree with this. Somethings to consider are -

- Screen size
- overall size
- type of screen
- colour screen or not
- maps
- ability to download from a computer (although I think they all have this now.)
- price

These decisions will depend on how you cache. Both Garmin and Magellin in particular have a good range of GPS's, so once you decide what kind you want, look at the options. Probably best to stick to the same make for ease of use too.

colleda

Post by colleda » 18 October 13 4:07 pm

We've been using Garmin Etrex 10 and 20 for a while now and find them to be excellent and very accurate. Dick Smith and Harvey Norman are offering the Etrex 30 at bargain prices lately. Even the Etrex 10 can be found under $100 (if you can get by without maps)

The3Rs

Post by The3Rs » 24 October 13 10:56 am

Thanks for the advice guys. We purchased a Garmin Oregon 650. We are looking forward to getting out on the weekend and trying it out! :D

BatGirlandCo

Post by BatGirlandCo » 27 October 13 6:14 pm

The3Rs wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. We purchased a Garmin Oregon 650. We are looking forward to getting out on the weekend and trying it out! :D
Ooo....I'm up for one of them as Christmas present (or possibly pre-Christmas present) to myself....will be very interested in your report.