Contacting CO's

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Contacting CO's

Post by 2max » 08 August 13 12:46 pm

Just wondering on some thoughts about contacting CO's from out in the field (so to speak) :-k

We've had 4 separate instances in 2 states whilst we were on holidays last month, where we've tried to contact (an active) CO while we're at GZ, for a more specific hint after searching extensively, and/or where we've suspected a muggling has taken place. Only in one case did the CO reply, so I'm curious what would stop you, as a CO, from replying?

This isn't about having a go or anything, and I'm definitely not going to say who the CO's are - it's more a curiousity thing. Would you look at it and go "well they're probably not at GZ anymore so I won't worry about it".. or is it a matter of people using more than 1 email address for caching v's GC contact? (if that's even possible) or not updating mobile numbers on caching sites?

Oh and for the record we're not 'serial contacters' or anything, before this holiday we've only ever sought assistance twice I think, in 18mths that's not too bad!! :P

jusojara
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Re: Contacting CO's

Post by jusojara » 08 August 13 2:09 pm

I would most probably fall into the 'not responded' (intially) category simply because my listed e-mail address is to home and unless I am sitting at the computer I would not get it straight away. That said, if someone did e-mail asking a question I would answer noting that it was probably too late but considering that they were around for longer and could return to the cache for another go.

I don't mind giving assistance as it's about finding the cache's (isn't that why we put them out there :?: ) but usually seek guidance as to the level of assistance wanted. I would however re-condider if I though someone was always asking and not looking first.

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 08 August 13 2:32 pm

A bit like jusojara - If I was at home and paying attention when the email came in then, sure, I'd respond as soon as I could. But most likely there'd be a significant time-delay before I could get back to the cacher, and after about 10-15 minutes I'd assumed they would have moved on.

Knowing how so many emails through GC go unanswered, I've never tried to contact a cacher in the field via email/GC. I just assumed they wouldn't get back in a timely fashion (if at all). I've done so when I might be in the vicinity for a day or so (I remember doing this in Fiji), but that's about it.

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 08 August 13 4:08 pm

We respond to emails as soon as we see them but that could be later in the day or perhaps a week or so later if we are away and without internet. If someone SMS's us we are less likely to see it as we don't recieved many SMS's and don't carry our mobile around with us all of the time. :D

We do appreciate people letting us know when there is a problem with one of our caches so that we can rectify it ASAP.

Apologies but if you require a hint whilst "in the field" you really have to strike it lucky to get an instant response from us even though we would be more than happy to give assistance. Perhaps you could try someone who had already found the cache and lived locally.

2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by 2max » 08 August 13 8:47 pm

Great replies, thanks :D Yeah we were in each area for a few days so we were hoping we might have heard something before we left each town, but it just wasn't to be. Good to know that it sounds like most people will reply eventually. Two were contacted via sms and the other two were through GC. One of them was to let the CO know we'd clearly found the attachment point but the cache was missing. When a month goes by though, you kinda start to hope it's not personal, haha 8-[ :D

Team Pathfinder, yep we did find a familiar name in one of the logs at one cache and managed to get a wee hint that way, and luckily made the find. The CO who did reply was brilliant too. Hopefully we won't have any need in the future, and I guess the lesson we learned was to NOT try and find caches that haven't been logged in months and months. Probably better to stick to the ones that have more recent finds. :-k

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 08 August 13 9:57 pm

2max wrote: I guess the lesson we learned was to NOT try and find caches that haven't been logged in months and months. Probably better to stick to the ones that have more recent finds. :-k
Unless maybe it is a remote geocache as some of ours will go for months and months without being tried for due to the lack of tourists through the summer months. :D

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 09 August 13 12:26 am

If you send me an email I will reply when I see it. That may be within a few minutes, if I am in the office I check my personal email fairly often. If I am on a rooftop it may not be until I get home at the end of the day. If I am on holidays overseas or outback it will be whenever I can get an internet connection.

For me, SMS would bring a quicker response if I am within range, and I think my number is available on both GC and GCA profiles.

2Lost-Souls
Twitter: @Amanda467

Post by 2Lost-Souls » 09 August 13 10:16 am

I guess it depends on where you live and how much mobile coverage you've got. We usually respond within 12 hours or less - often quicker. Both of us do remote area bushwork at times, and as soon as you go 30km outside of Alice Springs, there's no 3G reception (unless you're in a larger Aboriginal community, like Hermannsburg or Santa Teresa), so it could be up to a week if we're both out bush.

Also, I think it could be difficult for many people to respond super-quick through the working week..your job kind of gets in the way.

Browngang
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by Browngang » 09 August 13 10:42 am

I've contacted CO's via my smartphone and had some good results. I've been contacted and as my email is on my phone I usually respond pretty much straight away. Locally, I've logged DNF's from c:geo saying how I was there for hours and owners have contacted me straight back and said "what are you doing Browny it's just under there" and found new cache's coordinates many meters out, turned the geowagon around and made the find way out. So that was a plus.

Huurtle
10000 or more caches found

Post by Huurtle » 09 August 13 1:58 pm

Not everyone has email on their phone I reckon is the most likely answer to not receiving an instant reply to an in-the-field query. I certainly wouldn't rely on it. Better off contacting a previoys finder whose number you already have. Many interstaters contact me prior to coming to SA as they will be doing many of mine while here! :-)

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 09 August 13 8:15 pm

I wouldn't expect a reply but it's worth a try. Some people will also try the last finder rather than the CO. I got an urgent PM (with a mobile number) from pprass not long ago from Townsville - luckily I was able to ring straight away, the bad news was the cache was gone.

I've also had someone log a DNF on one of my caches and I sent them a PM (as I was at the computer) and they were able to find it.

pprass

Post by pprass » 18 August 13 11:30 am

This is a good discussion point which I have been meaning to bring up as well, however not so much regarding an immediate reply while still on site - you have to be very lucky for that to happen (although Yurt just recently helped us in Townsville in a huge coincidence), but more as to why cachers don't reply at all :cry:

In preparation for an 8 week trip that we just completed, there were about half a dozen emails sent to local cachers asking for either some assistance to a puzzle; some assistance to get to a cache that was in the middle of a dam (we were told by someone else that they could assist); whether any maintenance would be performed on a cache that had many DNF's and we particularly wanted to do it (it was to be part of an Alphabet Challenge), or simply that we were going to be in town and if they were inclined to a meeting. Not one responded!

However - and this really made us laugh - if we gave some constructive criticism to one of their caches eg: incorrect D/T ratings, hint not useful, cache not maintained, bad placement of the cache ( such as in the middle of a garden bed that was now destroyed) - then boy did we get an immediate blasting email :o

As we know there are a lot of different types and temperaments who play this game and to get to the ones who are less inclined to spend a bit of time in the other facets of this game is very difficult. We certainly won't be reaching them on this forum post as they are the extremely unlikely to be bothered to get onto the forum. The ones that are on this forum are the ones that do enjoy all facets of the game and by default would be the ones who would respond to emails - as has already been seen by the above responses.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 20 August 13 10:41 pm

I don't use my phone for emails ,the data is usually turned off. I'm lucky to answer my phone as i never hear it in my bag and I don't carry it on my person when I'm at work. I do answer texts but not always immediately. I am not so obsessed with the digital world that I need to respond straight away, especially if I'm busy.