Geo Apps??

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Q71

Geo Apps??

Post by Q71 » 28 June 13 11:18 pm

Are there any good apps out there to use when geocaching??

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Re: Geo Apps??

Post by Yurt » 28 June 13 11:33 pm

c:geo

That is all. :mrgreen:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 28 June 13 11:50 pm

Depends on what platform you are running. As mentioned c:geo is considered the best if you are on an Android platform, but I've never had an Android phone so I can't comment on it personally.

If you are on Apple then I would recommend Geosphere, though full functionality on it's own is best gained with a premium membership to geocaching.com.

The advantage of Geosphere over their app is the ability to load caches from other sites should you choose to chase those as well. Not that I have tried their app to compare them.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 29 June 13 12:19 am

What Yurt said! :D

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by geo_jas » 29 June 13 7:33 am

When I started caching I used cgeo and it is good but have been using locus for a while now. I use OSM maps which are great but the best thing is that it works with any gpx files so I have all my caches (GC, GCA and munzees) all on the map at the same time. It also does it's own navigation (needs data) so I can see all my caches on the map while I'm navigating.
When I log, I use it's field notes and load the up to the GC website. This gets around the problem of all the logs coming out yesterday.
I haven't used cgeo in a long time

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 29 June 13 8:04 am

Do you just mean geocaching apps, or other apps that can be useful for caching?

Apart from the geocaching app (I use the groundspeak app for the iPhone, but I've heard a few people say the android version isn't great & that cgeo is better), I have apps for scanning QR codes & microsoft tags, the Wherigo app, iCGT (has converter for DMS, DM & D and a few other useful tools) and GCTools. A flashlight app is also very handy for caching.

Tyreless
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Tyreless » 29 June 13 9:33 am

I have an iphone and use geosphere. It has a number of advantages over Groundspeak's app:

1. Better filtering of caches
2. Correct date on uploaded logs.
3. Handles caches from other sites (eg: GCA) and uploads logs to GCA.
4. Handles corrected co-ordinates.

Like Toriaz said, there are a bunch of other useful apps for different tasks: iCGT Pro, Wherigo, etc.

Q71

Post by Q71 » 29 June 13 11:51 am

Hi Guys...

Thanks for the info :) I only went in search of my first cache yesterday, successfully, and yes, i was wondering about geocaching apps to help me locate the caches.

Extreme noob and have no idea lol

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 29 June 13 1:16 pm

Cachesense for Android > c:geo ... and only a few dollars, and not in breach of Geocaching.com TOS :D

Free trial for a month too.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 29 June 13 6:03 pm

On those rare occasions I've logged in the field using c:geo it seems to get the date right.

I'm trying to think what I don't like about it. They've fixed a lot of earlier problems. I do struggle using it for multis though so I will always use the traditional Garmin.

I only wish there was some app for Chirp caches. Not that there are many of those but now and again I need it.

cap flint
100 or more tracks walked

Post by cap flint » 30 June 13 11:43 am

Not sure what platform you use but if it is OSX (iPhone, iPad) then my recommendation is Geosphere. You can also do all the cache planning, sorting and filtering, imaging and find logging with this ap. Works great with multies as well.

MrHyde
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by MrHyde » 30 June 13 12:40 pm

I use c:geo and am very happy with it. One question I have is how do people get GCA caches on c:geo. Is the only way by manually importing GPX files? The best part of c:geo is its ability to download live cache information from gc.com, thereby not requiring me to manage gpx files and copy them from one place to another.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 30 June 13 6:51 pm

MrHyde wrote:I use c:geo and am very happy with it. One question I have is how do people get GCA caches on c:geo. Is the only way by manually importing GPX files? The best part of c:geo is its ability to download live cache information from gc.com, thereby not requiring me to manage gpx files and copy them from one place to another.
That is my one and only complaint with c:geo too. They are working on live access from a number of opencaching websites so you never know GCA might come eventually...
Yurt wrote:I only wish there was some app for Chirp caches. Not that there are many of those but now and again I need it.
The problem with this is the most phones don't have the ability (RF circuitry) to receive chirp signals. This may be chirp's downfall one day when an alternative becomes available...

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 30 June 13 7:26 pm

MrHyde wrote:One question I have is how do people get GCA caches on c:geo. Is the only way by manually importing GPX files?
Yes.

We have an interface developers can use for free if they just ask. mtrax's GA Cacher on Android uses it as do a copuple of GSAK macros for pulling queries.

Talk to the devs of your favourite iOS/Android/WinMo apps, if there is enough interest perhaps they'll speak to us. Our door is open to all.

cap flint

Post by cap flint » 30 June 13 7:55 pm

I don't have an Android phone with c:geo but I wonder if bulk downloading GCA caches would work same as in my iPhone / Geosphere.

All I need to do is to run a GCA query in the browser window of Geosphere, then hit GPX button (still in the GCA web site) and Geosphere asks me into which folder I want to put the download.
That way I just loaded all GCA caches within 3km from my home into iPhone. As I had the query pre-written in GCA, the whole bulk download took just three clicks (as I have it all set up already).

Would it work on Android / c:geo?