Caching Swap - Where have they gone?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Should Caches Have Trades?

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 43

Delta Response Team

Caching Swap - Where have they gone?

Post by Delta Response Team » 02 May 13 10:32 pm

When I first went caching as a muggle with a friend in 2008, Almost every cache had a whole bunch of trades.

I went caching the other day and found 5 smalls, None had any trades. Why do people seem to be no longer including trades?

When I hide a new cache i try to make sure it is full of cool little gizmo's etc.

What do people think.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Re: Caching Swap - Where have they gone?

Post by noikmeister » 02 May 13 10:38 pm

Personally I don't care and so didn't vote. I only care when caching with kids. As a hider, I am always disappointed that people don't stick to the guidelines when swapping something of equal or better value.

Delta Response Team

Post by Delta Response Team » 02 May 13 10:46 pm

noikmeister wrote:Personally I don't care and so didn't vote. I only care when caching with kids. As a hider, I am always disappointed that people don't stick to the guidelines when swapping something of equal or better value.

I just don't see the point of putting an ammo can in the middle of the bush with nothing but a log book and pen in it. I think that caches with a trade theme are perhaps the way to go.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 02 May 13 11:42 pm

I agree, if the cache is a decent size put something in it. Personally I very rarely swap these days, when I first started as a solo cacher I did swap but it was just moving one item from a cache to another. For a few years I was caching with kids and they loved the swaps, but since that time in my life has passed I don't bother these days. I just enjoy the find.

That said, if I do place a cache I try to fill it up with some goodies to start with, and if I have to do a maintenance run I will restock.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 02 May 13 11:47 pm

Delta Response Team wrote:
noikmeister wrote:Personally I don't care and so didn't vote. I only care when caching with kids. As a hider, I am always disappointed that people don't stick to the guidelines when swapping something of equal or better value.

I just don't see the point of putting an ammo can in the middle of the bush with nothing but a log book and pen in it. I think that caches with a trade theme are perhaps the way to go.
They're better than an eclipse tin in the bush with nothing but a logbook and pen... :D

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 May 13 9:09 am

They've gone away due to the cost of creating them. I have 20 containers in the computer room. Each has about $20 worth of trades. Plus a $4.00 container. Plus a $10.00 ammo can. Plus paint (x 20 ammo cans, it actually adds up). Plus a log book and pen and stash note. That would be about $40.00 -$50.00 per cache. They're going to be cool caches, but at $1,000 for the series of 20 ... hmmm.

Alternatively I could chuck out 20 eclipse tins for the price of driving from one location to another.

Your question is sensible, but possibly rhetorical. I think we all know the answer.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 03 May 13 9:37 am

I find half the miserable buggers don't even put in a pen or pencil nowadays. Just a scrap of paper in an oversized ziplock bag which is rendered useless as it has to be folded several times, breaking the seal, before it can be put back into its container (usually an Eclipse tin).

I put an ammo can way out in the bush and, thinking that no kiddies would ever visit, put in books only to make it a book exchange. Also it's such a nice spot to just lie in the sun I thought people could just have a read while they were there and put the book back if they wanted to.

http://coord.info/GC445FC

jonnosan+2

Post by jonnosan+2 » 03 May 13 9:47 am

I just don't see the point of putting an ammo can in the middle of the bush with nothing but a log book and pen in it.
If that bush is in a NSW national park, then that is all you are allowed.

Delta Response Team

Post by Delta Response Team » 05 May 13 9:41 am

jonnosan+2 wrote:
I just don't see the point of putting an ammo can in the middle of the bush with nothing but a log book and pen in it.
If that bush is in a NSW national park, then that is all you are allowed.

Ok so that would explain it if I had this problem in NSW, I had not known that so thank you for letting me know. But its not just there, there are bare caches everywhere.

jusojara
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by jusojara » 06 May 13 12:57 pm

With this common occurrence in mind, most of these caches may have started with swaps :stabby

Ben and Benji

Post by Ben and Benji » 19 June 13 9:31 am

It would be boring if all caches were the same.

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 19 June 13 10:06 am

I still like to swags and look to at least add to a cache even if I do not take. Plenty of opportunities to get reasonable swag at resoanable prices, e.g., 4 GB USB Flash Drives for $1.99 each. Okay they are Disney branded but still :)

Andrew

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 19 June 13 10:48 am

All my caches start out with swag & I add new stuff when doing maintenance. I've had some great feedback in logs about the swag. I seldom take anything from a cache but leave polished semi precious stones which I purchase from a lapidary club. I also leave one of my path tags, occasionally. My usual FTF gift are LED Throwies.

bructus

Post by bructus » 22 June 13 4:58 am

the CURSE OF THE NANO has stuck..... :roll:

Zombies are the cause...... :lol:

the SKY is falling [ Global warming].. :^o

TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY... \:D/

DEATH AND TAXES... 8-[