What should be a short trip....hours later

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
steamtrain13583

What should be a short trip....hours later

Post by steamtrain13583 » 30 April 13 1:44 pm

Im sure everyone else realises that trips that should take say only 3 and a half hours turn into 6/7 hours thanks to geocaching, we were returning home from the Wagga region and had the inlaws ring us every now and again saying "gee you should be there by now, what have you been doing?" and we only stopped to grab 13 caches along the way imagine if we stopped for every cache i'll still be driving!

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Re: What should be a short trip....hours later

Post by noikmeister » 30 April 13 9:00 pm

Same. I did 19 caches between Canberra and Sydney for a 6 hour trip. My usual trick is to set the satnav in the car to my final destination and then use the Garmin to cache. Then when the ETA on the satnav gets to the time I'd like to arrive by I stop caching and start driving.

2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by 2max » 10 May 13 2:07 pm

Can definitely relate to that. We left Pakenham at 10am, cached all the way home and arrived home about 6pm. It's usually a smidge over a 2hr trip. :P

text messages from my mum who lives in a town near us "thought you would have been home HOURS ago, is everything alright??????????????"

texts from our 20 & 18yr old kids at home "Geez, are you two STILL caching? We're hungry."

(credit to them, we arrived home to find the kids had cooked a magnificent tea for themselves, and us. :D )

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 10 May 13 3:16 pm

When I was heading south on the bike to Oz Mega Albury Wodonga, I deliberately went via Toowoomba/Warwick/Stanthorpe to pick up some of the caches along the main road. As I approached the granite belt, the Nuvi screen was swamped in little green boxes. I had to bite my tongue, and just pass any by that were not right beside the road.

We went back a couple of months later for about 4 days in the Stanthorpe region. We are going to have to head back down that way again, the screen would be all green again.

I am a little concerned about a caching trip I am planning on the bike in 2015. Roughly 4 weeks to do from CQ up through NT, over to Broome, then down the west coast and across the Nullabour, then back home through western NSW. I thinks its around the 13000km mark.