Calculating offsets

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
steamtrain13583

Calculating offsets

Post by steamtrain13583 » 26 April 13 12:58 pm

:oops: I feel rather embarrassed asking this but i started a puzzle cache yesterday and gathered the a,b,c,d's etc from an information board the description of the cache then asked me to calculate the offset using these clues, which i have no idea how to, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated, the cache in question is http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 0ebd8ece91

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Re: Calculating offsets

Post by Zalgariath » 26 April 13 1:05 pm

Three ways (or more!)

Traditional - Grab a compass and start pacing! Set the destination on your GPS as the start point, and head off in the projected direction until GPS read the projected distance. Good for short stuff.

Function - A lot of GPS units have a project function which makes this easy... unit dependant.

Calculated - GCC (Geocaching Calculator, and a number of the Geocaching apps on Android and iPhone have tools to caculated projected co-ords, which you can then jut punch into the GPS

Good Luck!

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 26 April 13 1:05 pm

Are you sure you linked to the right cache? I can;t see offsets in this cache.

steamtrain13583

Post by steamtrain13583 » 26 April 13 1:09 pm

LouiseAnn wrote:Are you sure you linked to the right cache? I can;t see offsets in this cache.
Yeah sure did, in the description it says "use the clues to calculate the offset gz"

steamtrain13583

Post by steamtrain13583 » 26 April 13 1:10 pm

Zalgariath wrote:Three ways (or more!)

Traditional - Grab a compass and start pacing! Set the destination on your GPS as the start point, and head off in the projected direction until GPS read the projected distance. Good for short stuff.

Function - A lot of GPS units have a project function which makes this easy... unit dependant.

Calculated - GCC (Geocaching Calculator, and a number of the Geocaching apps on Android and iPhone have tools to caculated projected co-ords, which you can then jut punch into the GPS

Good Luck!
Thanks Zalgariath will give it a go next time om down that way!

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 26 April 13 1:16 pm

Night shift is a killer... just spotted more than 6 typos in that last message of mine :oops: ... bah... :lol:

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by geo_jas » 26 April 13 2:24 pm

Although the description says offset gz, it looks like gz coords are just the posted coords with the decimal parts replaced by the called values.