upsetting tupperware sales people

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
steamtrain13583

upsetting tupperware sales people

Post by steamtrain13583 » 13 April 13 10:58 pm

After a great morning caching my wife and i went shopping in town after my wife left me in the gaming store I caught up with her looking at some Tupperware kit costing close to $900 i couldnt help but say "mmm they could be great geocaches" after then explaining geocaching to the salespeople i was given a dirty look and i quietly left :lol:

mtrax

Re: upsetting tupperware sales people

Post by mtrax » 13 April 13 11:26 pm

$900 I hope that was a power trail of boxes, right?

steamtrain13583

Post by steamtrain13583 » 13 April 13 11:30 pm

mtrax wrote:$900 I hope that was a power trail of boxes, right?
Haha you would think so, though i reckon you would of been lucky laying down at least 30

mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found

Post by mtbikeroz » 14 April 13 9:05 am

BUT...............Tupperware will survive the sun for over a decade, whereas sistema won't last a year! (Decor lasts close to 10 yrs)

I know because I have had caches out in the open in an alpine environment 1800m+ elevation in Namadgi NP. The caches had cache creep and ended up being quite exposed to the low northern sun, during winter when not covered in snow. I left them there for many years, because even though there were many muggle entries, the caches were never damaged or muggled. I have only just replaced the Tupperware and Decor ones, and they were just beginning to be sun affected. Probably would have lasted a few more years. (I twisted and poked the Decor & Tupperware quite severely, testing them, and eventually the Decor cracked, Tupperware OK & still keeping its seal (Decor kept its seal too). But I replaced them both with painted metal ammo cans anyway)

So, the summary is Tupperware makes good outdoor caches!

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 16 April 13 12:10 am

You should just have got the tupperware container replaced, they have a lifetime warranty and will replace any cracked or warped containers or lids. I've done it..............!!!!! just don't tell them what you are really using them for.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 16 April 13 7:30 am

mtbikeroz wrote:BUT...............Tupperware will survive the sun for over a decade, whereas sistema won't last a year! (Decor lasts close to 10 yrs)

I know because I have had caches out in the open in an alpine environment 1800m+ elevation in Namadgi NP. The caches had cache creep and ended up being quite exposed to the low northern sun, during winter when not covered in snow. I left them there for many years, because even though there were many muggle entries, the caches were never damaged or muggled. I have only just replaced the Tupperware and Decor ones, and they were just beginning to be sun affected. Probably would have lasted a few more years. (I twisted and poked the Decor & Tupperware quite severely, testing them, and eventually the Decor cracked, Tupperware OK & still keeping its seal (Decor kept its seal too). But I replaced them both with painted metal ammo cans anyway)

Correction. Tupperware/Decor bought 10 years ago lasts 10 years. I don't think the products available today are up to the standards of the past. Plus, the sistema on Mt. Namadgi was in perfect condition when I found it and it had been there over 2 years then. It would be interesting to see that one now.

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 16 April 13 10:56 am

I have used a lot of Sistema containers for caches and have found that under severe flooding they are not waterproof but I also have a few Lock'n'Lock in similar situations which have been bone dry inside after being completely inundated.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 16 April 13 11:18 am

Yes, sistemas are no good in wet conditions. Lock 'n Lock, and Superlock I have found to be good but
you usually have to buy them in bulk lots and they're a bit hard hard to find.

I don't think you should leave any plastic container exposed to the sun.
That's where an ammo can comes into it's own, but they can get a bit nasty inside.
The double boxing technique with a sistema inside an ammo can is perfect.
You need to invest a few dollars but why place a cache that's not worth the investment.

mtbikeroz

Post by mtbikeroz » 16 April 13 5:21 pm

noikmeister wrote:
mtbikeroz wrote:BUT...............Tupperware will survive the sun for over a decade, whereas sistema won't last a year! (Decor lasts close to 10 yrs)

Correction. Tupperware/Decor bought 10 years ago lasts 10 years. I don't think the products available today are up to the standards of the past. Plus, the sistema on Mt. Namadgi was in perfect condition when I found it and it had been there over 2 years then. It would be interesting to see that one now.
"Tupperware/Decor bought 10 years ago lasts 10 years." AGREED.
The sistema on Mt Namadgi was totally hidden from the sun, under snow/bark/rocks. Whilst sometimes sistema are not waterproof, sometimes they are if not flooded etc, just get really dirty & grubby.

wyrdsister
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by wyrdsister » 08 May 13 8:07 pm

I think this is a you know when your a geocacher........ when you ask the tuppaware lady how long it lasts in the outdoors. I fell foul last week in a tuppaware game when you had to win a prize for the fastest answer . The question - Name the best use for tuppaware - needless to say the blank stares ensured I did not win and spent a considerable time with the tuppaware lady explaining. So add me to the upsetting salespeople club. LOL

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 09 May 13 9:35 pm

It is my understanding that Tuppaware comes with a lifetime guarantee. If an item splits they will replace it. On this basis Tuppaware caches will last for ever. Just replace every ten years. :shock: