Clearly 'Not Chosen'

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
nathan mitchell

Clearly 'Not Chosen'

Post by nathan mitchell » 24 February 13 2:32 am

I have recently hidden a cache and I would prefer not to reveal the size. Am I allowed to 'not choose' a size?
I am told that this is a default and not an option to choose. I find this hard to believe as worldwide there are caches based on finding traditional caches with no chosen size. These caches have their own section on statistics pages. It's going to be really hard to find them in future if you're not allowed to publish them. I don't want to choose 'other' because its not an 'other' I just don't want to say what it is. ](*,)

''no precedent for placing geocaches' 'if you're wrong then make it up as you go along!' ](*,)

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Re: Clearly 'Not Chosen'

Post by noikmeister » 24 February 13 8:21 am

nathan mitchell wrote:I have recently hidden a cache and I would prefer not to reveal the size. Am I allowed to 'not choose' a size?
I am told that this is a default and not an option to choose. I find this hard to believe as worldwide there are caches based on finding traditional caches with no chosen size. These caches have their own section on statistics pages. It's going to be really hard to find them in future if you're not allowed to publish them. I don't want to choose 'other' because its not an 'other' I just don't want to say what it is. ](*,)

''no precedent for placing geocaches' 'if you're wrong then make it up as you go along!' ](*,)
I think that is what Other is for. I assume you are trying to be tricky... I once wanted the same and chose Other, but this just tips off people that they are looking for something out of the ordinary. In my case the container the log was in was a micro, in a larger "outer" container. I chose Other and later changed it to Micro.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 24 February 13 1:08 pm

"Other" is a catagory for things that dont meet the traditional definitions of a cache. ie a box with a log in it. The most common 'other' cache I can think of are 'flat' caches like magnets with a log book on the back. These often have a reference on the cache page to let people know why you chose this option.

"Not Chosen" is for when you want to be a b....d and not tell people what they are looking for :twisted:

Please remember, that "not chosen" often results in a lot more geo-damage from hunters unless you outline clearly on the cache page the vague idea of what people are after.

rubai
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by rubai » 26 February 13 9:53 am

nathan mitchell wrote: I find this hard to believe as worldwide there are caches based on finding traditional caches with no chosen size.
I believe they were published back when the option to choose sizes wasn't there.

budgietas
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by budgietas » 26 February 13 1:09 pm

Zalgariath wrote:"Other" is a catagory for things that dont meet the traditional definitions of a cache. ie a box with a log in it. The most common 'other' cache I can think of are 'flat' caches like magnets with a log book on the back. These often have a reference on the cache page to let people know why you chose this option.

"Not Chosen" is for when you want to be a b....d and not tell people what they are looking for :twisted:

Please remember, that "not chosen" often results in a lot more geo-damage from hunters unless you outline clearly on the cache page the vague idea of what people are after.
I agree here, I have a flat magnetic cache and the ump suggested that Other was the correct size for it. Not to be B.......d but it is the best description for it!