GPS on a budget

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Two in the Bush

GPS on a budget

Post by Two in the Bush » 04 February 13 5:27 pm

On a budget so could anyone recommend a GPS that will do the trick and not too costly. Just reading up on how to get started and looking forward to our first find. .... now just to get the GPS :?

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Re: GPS on a budget

Post by noikmeister » 04 February 13 6:28 pm

Two in the Bush wrote:On a budget so could anyone recommend a GPS that will do the trick and not too costly. Just reading up on how to get started and looking forward to our first find. .... now just to get the GPS :?
Got a smart phone? Usually that is a good way to go for a while before you invest $200 in something you may not end up using, or buy something that is so cheap that you upgrade within 6 months.

That being said, a lot of people start out on the inexpensive Garmin eTrex units. The eTrex 10 can be got for $115 plus shipping from Johnny Appleseed GPS

Two in the Bush

Post by Two in the Bush » 04 February 13 8:17 pm

Thanks for the info. Smart phone....will need the kids help with that :)

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 05 February 13 6:14 pm

Etrex: http://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/etrex-10/

They are what many the cachers of a few years back would have started with, before the smart phone. This new model also picks up the GLONASS satellites, which means you have two GPS systems to reference your location. (Something for you to show off at events as this is new. 8) )

Johnny Appleseed have them listed for $115. They seem to have a deal that throws in a cover for free at the moment. I've seen them in lots of different shops that have outdoor gear. (I look for this stuff. Sad isn't it) I'd think you'd find one for $100 if you had a look around when some sales are on.

You'd probably get one cheap on ebay, but it's not a source I'd recommend for this sort of stuff. Others might.

Cheaper than I think you'd get a smart phone, but will struggle to make phone calls. :twisted:

Good luck. :gnome

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 11 February 13 9:17 am

Doesnt Anaconda have a "We will beat any price by X amount" guarantee. So if Johney Appleseed do an Etrex for $115, and Anaconda also sell the same model Etrex,then you should get it cheaper there.

las ramblas

Post by las ramblas » 23 February 13 10:52 am

I didn't have any gps for the first 9 months I was caching, and managed to find well over 100 that way. You can find the majority of traditional caches easily enough just by taking a close look at google maps at home and reading past logs. I still use that method a lot.

colleda

Post by colleda » 11 March 13 8:58 am

We started off using our car GPSr and would take a sheet of paper along with coordinates and hints written down. After about 100 finds we bought a Garmin Etrex 10. These are a great little unit and very accurate, also, no need to take paper, just download coordinates straight off the computer. Have seen the Etrex 10 on sale in stores (boating) for less than $100, on special, but are usually around $130.
Their biggest drawback was they only come with a base map i.e. VERY basic. This didn't bother us as we still used the car GPSr to get close to the cache site then the Etrex to find it. The Etrex 20 & 30 can take SD cards for greater capacity and maps.

ruralslicker
Location: Churchill Vic 3842 (Latrobe Valley) 160 km east of Melbourne

Post by ruralslicker » 13 March 13 8:04 am

The current Rays Outdoors catalogue has a number of GPSr on special, including the eTrex 10 for $99. I use an older Garmin bought off ebay. I also use my smartphone in conjunction with it, but battery use can be severe if one is not careful.