Photos of GPS units

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Obiwan

Photos of GPS units

Post by Obiwan » 04 February 13 10:21 am

I can understand cache owners wanting a photo including you GPS unit, unfortunately tho these days this can be a little difficult. Most smart phones have GPS, some cameras have GPS built into them. I would like to se cache owners stop requesting photos to include the GPS unit

caughtatwork

Re: Photos of GPS units

Post by caughtatwork » 04 February 13 11:00 am

Bu then how do I know whether you were there for the cache or conveniently there for some other reason, but are now claiming it was for the cache :wink:

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 04 February 13 11:58 am

Good point, C@W, but how do I get on?

GPS unit with no camera facility, no digital camera, phone that MAY have camera capability for all I know, but if it does I can't work it?

I usually completely avoid those caches that require photographic proof of being there, unless my husband is there also, and then he takes care of the technical stuff.

By the way, even if I could take a digital photograph of my GPS or even of the area, I have no idea how to get that photo onto my computer, and I think there is a further step to get it on the internet....

Actually, I DO have a digital camera, but I can't work it. I just remembered.

I reckon I am doing extremely well in learning to find a cache using my Garmin.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 04 February 13 1:05 pm

If I have been using a phone or similar as the GPS and the camera I just take a photo of me at the GZ and make note of it in my log. No issues thus far.

As another note, for Earthcaches on GC.com if I don't have a camera I don't take a photo. The guidelines no longer require it.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 04 February 13 10:23 pm

More often than not these days I just cache with the iPhone and don't even worry about getting the eTrex out. So yes, I just photo myself at GZ if that is asked. No problems so far like Matt.

I guess you could also take a screenshot of whatever Geocaching software you are using showing the distance to GZ and the coords to include as well, though of course that could be photoshopped by someone with suitable skills. On my iPhone that is done by pressing the big bottom button and the on/off one at the same time.

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 05 February 13 8:49 pm

Bring a mirror or just take a photo of the question sheet of paper or something like that.
Basically any picture that wasn't taken specifically for tourism purposes should do the trick ie your shoes.

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 07 February 13 11:16 pm

I prefer having to include GPS in photo (but as I usually use my GPS's camera so I just point them to example the EXIF info as proof of GPS @ location @ date/time if they want to get "picky"...) to having to include myself in the photo. That was one thing that annoyed me about many of the GC.com Challenges - you finally get a photo for one then read the fine print about needing to be in the photo too GRRR!....

:-$