What Have You Lost/Found?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Minifig Ant

What Have You Lost/Found?

Post by Minifig Ant » 05 January 13 10:19 am

I just finished up shinydragon's Cache Constellation series off the Kings Hwy this morning, and on the way back to the car I realised I had dropped my sunglasses SOMEWHERE in the forest.

If anyone happens across a pair of black prescription designer sunnies while they're out finding the caches, could you please let me know? Thanks :)

It got me thinking of what other things people may have lost (or found) while out caching. The best thing I ever found was an expensive-model walkie talkie. It had been ground into the mud and the case was cracked. I brought it home, opened it up and cleaned it out in an attempt to get it working again, but with no success.

I have a dread fear of one day stumbling across a body. I'm sure it must have happened before.

AussieCacheHunter
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Re: What Have You Lost/Found?

Post by AussieCacheHunter » 05 January 13 10:43 am

Minifig Ant wrote:
I have a dread fear of one day stumbling across a body. I'm sure it must have happened before.
Some have been close :)

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... pic=213726

Only thing I've lost is some swag I'd just pulled out of a cache.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 05 January 13 2:01 pm

I've lost many, many pens over the years... Although I suspect some of them are somewhere in my car...

As for what I've found, the worst would have to be some human poo...
and the best thing I've found was a pair of bluetooth wireless headphones...

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 05 January 13 7:18 pm

I've lost my glasses several times in bushes and not noticed. They're very thin black titanium frames and hard to see in bushes (especially when you're not wearing them !).
Sometimes it takes a few minutes to realise I'm suddenly not wearing them. Took me 30 mins to find them once, 20 mins another time.
I bought a loop to put around my neck, but never remember to put it on.

theshattells

Post by theshattells » 06 January 13 2:22 pm

Hello, this is my first post and i have only been caching for about three months.

A cache i was going for that was in a pretty remote, isolated area. I saw some shopping bags placed under a tree with rocks piled around the shopping bags. I thought that this was the cache so i went up and moved the rocks and opened the bags and inside was a knife wrapped in a cloth with dried blood on it, a Packet of .22 bullets, a hand crank camera worth 800 dollars, a plastic bag with three or four watches in it, architect tools and some children's toys.

I left this where it was and reported to the police who then asked me to go back and collect it and bring it back to them (it was a two hour hike). if owner does not collect it by the 8th its mine :) and before you try and collect there was a name on the camera.

After the 8th i will post pictures of the stuff and how it was hidden

The shattells

AussieCacheHunter
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by AussieCacheHunter » 06 January 13 2:32 pm

Not sure I'd want to keep a blood stained knife.

Though if you attached a TB to it, it would make a very unique trackable.

theshattells

Post by theshattells » 06 January 13 2:35 pm

sorry forgot to mention i don't get the knife or bullets

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 06 January 13 4:52 pm

What a weird bag full of stuff to stumble across!! Would certainly have me watching my bike as I hauled that one out of the forest.

About 18 months ago I was researching a spot nearby to home for a cache (in some fairly inaccessible bushland/billabong area alongside a freeway reserve) when I spied a bike tossed in the bushes. Assumed it would be an old clunker but went to have a look anyway, and ended up pulling out a $2k almost brand new carbon fibre road bike. Highly bizarre....

So I took it home, then handed it in to police. 3 months later no call, so assumed it had found the owner. 9 months after that got an apologetic call from the coppers saying "Do you still want this bike?". Not my size, but sold it for about $1k which helped with a nasty car service bill at the time. Caching paid off in that instance nicely....

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 06 January 13 8:32 pm

This sounds oddly familiar http://coord.info/GC18RMG

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 06 January 13 10:45 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:This sounds oddly familiar http://coord.info/GC18RMG
Ah...something I'm constantly reminded of. Thanks for bringing it to fore once again Big Matt. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've been good the last couple of years and only lost another 3 pairs.....

One was in WA, and two here in Canberra.....one at Eagle Mountain? and the other at Old Macca's.

Minifig Ant

Post by Minifig Ant » 07 January 13 7:57 am

Sol de Lune wrote:
Ah...something I'm constantly reminded of. Thanks for bringing it to fore once again Big Matt. :oops: :oops: :oops:

One was in WA, and two here in Canberra.....one at Eagle Mountain? and the other at Old Macca's.
But, did you ever get any of them back again? Is there any hope?

I figure I dropped my glasses between caches, which means the odds of them being found is very, very small.

Diadem
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Diadem » 07 January 13 9:22 am

The oddest find I've made is a really large bottle of unoped bubbly. Left it where it was, it was not worth the effort.

The worst loss is my GPSr. I've left it at a few caches in the past and had 30 minute drives to back-track and get it. This time I left it (I think) in Balranald a fortnight ago - far to far for me to go back for it. It was a few months short of giving me 10 years of service. On the positive side I expect I'll get a new one soon.
Diadem

Team Ladava
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Team Ladava » 07 January 13 10:18 am

Below is my log from a cache in Junee in 2009.

'Oh Dear, what can I say about this cache.
Chauffeured around for the second day of the weekend by our Geocaching sister and brother-in-law baby&Mrs gopher this was the last cache before a visit to the liquorice and chocolate factory.
All was going well for a quick find until distracted by the family dog trying to disappear chasing rabbits and perhaps the thought of lunch I had a 'senior moment' and left our GPS’r sitting on the rocks near GZ. Somehow with a very pleasant long lunch and not in my usual driving role we headed back to The Rock for a coffee and goodbyes before trekking south. It wasn’t until Henty that I asked the better half of Team Ladava "where is the GPS?'
Around we went and back to Junee by 5pm. Oh No its not there. Down to the Police station to see if someone had handed it in. No. (I will leave out this part of the narrative as it probably contravenes some standard of cache logging)
Now it was almost dark and we still had to get to Melbourne and front up at work in the morning
A missed call from our hosts at Albury told us that another team had made an 'interesting find' when doing the cache an hour or so after we were there. Phew
Eventually arrived home after 11.00 pm so it has been a rough day at the office.
Our thanks to that Team from Canberra who kindly posted our GPS’r down to us.'

Sol de lunes log

'Quick find at an area with cool views over the local area. Made an interesting find a short distance from the cache, but will have to wait for more logs from today before I can do anything about it.'

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 21 January 13 6:27 pm

Most recently a pair of sunglasses somewhere between Mt Bimberi and Leura Gap. I don't think I will ever see them again. Pens! I took 3 pens with me on the Woodlands 100 series and by about cache #20 I had lost them all. Thankfully the series is well-maintained and so I used the in-built pencils.

Things I got back:
The headphones from where they were dangling around my neck. I went back to GZ and found them hanging in the thorn bush that had snagged them.

My GPS, from where I left it next to the cache I had found on top of Mt. Taylor (24-hours later). I was so happy with the find that I decided to take the trig point with me! (Joke).

Found: What looked a lot like human hair, attached to a scalp, but not a head. Took a photo, but can't seem to find it. The cops came and picked it up and I never heard from them again. I am guessing it wasn't human.

FarmerFrentzen

Post by FarmerFrentzen » 22 January 13 12:06 pm

Sol de Lune wrote:
Big Matt and Shell wrote:This sounds oddly familiar http://coord.info/GC18RMG

Hahaha I can remember a certain cache in Wodonga at which you very nearly lost another pair! :-"