Is it just me?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
User avatar
mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 821
Joined: 28 November 03 10:49 am
Location: Canberra, ACT

Re: Is it just me?

Post by mtbikeroz » 02 February 13 6:08 am

I have no issue with the way caches are named like this.

And mr rapidly wild, I'm not against your cache names at all. (I was just having a bit of word play & fun in my post above).
You just happened to be the next cab in the rank so to speak that used this convention that annoys J.

As an aside, this naming convention used to be a problem for cachers with some old gps units. I changed the names of my ACT INVESTIGATE series to have those words at the end of the cache name. mtrax I think advised me when I published that series of caches, that on some older basic type gps units the title name of the cache was limited to 20 characters (or less in some), consequently, in their gps units, they had multiple caches with the same name. I even learnt in one unit, that if the first 20 characters were the same (as in ...GREAT SOUTHERN ROAD.... caches by a local cacher) that the gps unit removed all but one of the caches. Weird.

But that aside, you lay em, I'll find em.

meanwhile, where's the coffeeeeee...........

User avatar
Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Posts: 1905
Joined: 11 February 07 9:53 pm
Twitter: BigMattandShell
Contact:

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 02 February 13 5:02 pm

noikmeister wrote:So perhaps I should say it this way. Hi my name is Jeremy and the way you name your caches irritates me for no rational reason. Please don't take it personally. I am sure you are a lovely person and I'd be happy to discuss it with you in person over coffee. I'll shout.
Very well put, that made me laugh.

AussieCacheHunter
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Posts: 51
Joined: 09 February 12 12:31 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Is it just me?

Post by AussieCacheHunter » 02 February 13 7:26 pm

noikmeister wrote: So perhaps I should say it this way. Hi my name is Jeremy and the way you name your caches irritates me for no rational reason. Please don't take it personally. I am sure you are a lovely person and I'd be happy to discuss it with you in person over coffee. I'll shout.
Would that be an event cache?

User avatar
allrounder
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Posts: 365
Joined: 19 January 06 2:38 pm
Location: Kambah

Re: Is it just me?

Post by allrounder » 03 February 13 5:15 pm

I think it's Ms Rapidlywild not Mr...

User avatar
mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 821
Joined: 28 November 03 10:49 am
Location: Canberra, ACT

Re: Is it just me?

Post by mtbikeroz » 03 February 13 5:19 pm

:oops:

User avatar
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1200
Joined: 10 July 09 12:29 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Is it just me?

Post by noikmeister » 03 February 13 6:35 pm

mtbikeroz wrote:Rapidlywild’s Fore!gotten to Chalk up Bruce and Basil.

That makes 5. :D
And you forgot Mosaic

Rapidlywild
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Posts: 51
Joined: 24 November 12 10:24 pm
Location: Ngunnawal ACT

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Rapidlywild » 03 February 13 6:44 pm

Yes, I am not male lol. Miss Rapidlywild :P

Caches have been renamed btw

User avatar
Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
Posts: 560
Joined: 23 February 06 12:45 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Alansee » 04 February 13 1:18 pm

For what it is worth, I am now back to using my old Garmin HCX, which has a name limit of 14 characters. Hence any similarly named caches come up Abcdefghi01, Abcdefghi02, etc, using GSAK. I suspect that if I used a Groundspeak download, it would overwrite each preceding similar name so that I may end up with one cache at the end. This is what happened when I used to use EasyGPS. (for a very short time!) I well remember loading in 15 such caches once and only finding one when I got there. :shock:

Of course I could always use the GC code but that does make it harder to identify each cache than using the name.

When we put out the Woodlands series (100 caches) we made sure that there was a reasonable uniqueness to the start of each name (Woodlands 01, etc.) for this reason.

So it is definitely easier for the likes of me if the start of each cache name is unique, but also not that hard to work around. Having another device like a Smartphone or SatNav helps a lot.

User avatar
Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found
Posts: 673
Joined: 31 July 08 8:26 pm
Location: Deakin, ACT

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Agent Basil » 04 February 13 1:22 pm

Today's list of ACT caches published has warmed my heart! \:D/

User avatar
mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 821
Joined: 28 November 03 10:49 am
Location: Canberra, ACT

Re: Is it just me?

Post by mtbikeroz » 04 February 13 5:40 pm

noikmeister wrote:
mtbikeroz wrote:Rapidlywild’s Fore!gotten to Chalk up Bruce and Basil.

That makes 5. :D
And you forgot Mosaic

And you missed Betchern0t, crazeecat, Wombat & Tankengine!

Have i missed any :D

User avatar
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1200
Joined: 10 July 09 12:29 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Is it just me?

Post by noikmeister » 04 February 13 6:33 pm

mtbikeroz wrote:
noikmeister wrote:
mtbikeroz wrote:Rapidlywild’s Fore!gotten to Chalk up Bruce and Basil.

That makes 5. :D
And you forgot Mosaic

And you missed Betchern0t, crazeecat, Wombat & Tankengine!

Have i missed any :D
I'll grant you Betchern0t, but the other 2 are only occasional offenders.

User avatar
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1200
Joined: 10 July 09 12:29 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Is it just me?

Post by noikmeister » 04 February 13 6:35 pm

Alansee wrote:For what it is worth, I am now back to using my old Garmin HCX, which has a name limit of 14 characters. Hence any similarly named caches come up Abcdefghi01, Abcdefghi02, etc, using GSAK. I suspect that if I used a Groundspeak download, it would overwrite each preceding similar name so that I may end up with one cache at the end. This is what happened when I used to use EasyGPS. (for a very short time!) I well remember loading in 15 such caches once and only finding one when I got there. :shock:

Of course I could always use the GC code but that does make it harder to identify each cache than using the name.

When we put out the Woodlands series (100 caches) we made sure that there was a reasonable uniqueness to the start of each name (Woodlands 01, etc.) for this reason.

So it is definitely easier for the likes of me if the start of each cache name is unique, but also not that hard to work around. Having another device like a Smartphone or SatNav helps a lot.
The GSAK feature that will help you is Smart Name. Under Tools --> Options --> General. You can tell it how many characters you have to work with and a few other things then you just let it make unique names for you.

User avatar
Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found
Posts: 673
Joined: 31 July 08 8:26 pm
Location: Deakin, ACT

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Agent Basil » 04 February 13 6:39 pm

noikmeister wrote:
mtbikeroz wrote:
noikmeister wrote:
mtbikeroz wrote:Rapidlywild’s Fore!gotten to Chalk up Bruce and Basil.

That makes 5. :D
And you forgot Mosaic

And you missed Betchern0t, crazeecat, Wombat & Tankengine!

Have i missed any :D
I'll grant you Betchern0t, but the other 2 are only occasional offenders.
Offenders? You are a joke

User avatar
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1200
Joined: 10 July 09 12:29 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Is it just me?

Post by noikmeister » 04 February 13 6:54 pm

Agent Basil wrote:
Offenders? You are a joke
It's like winding up an automatic clock. :twisted:

User avatar
Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Posts: 681
Joined: 21 September 10 4:20 pm
Twitter: bronnie1990
Location: Tuggeranong, Canberra.

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 04 February 13 9:44 pm

mtbikeroz wrote:
noikmeister wrote:
mtbikeroz wrote:Rapidlywild’s Fore!gotten to Chalk up Bruce and Basil.

That makes 5. :D
And you forgot Mosaic

And you missed Betchern0t, crazeecat, Wombat & Tankengine!

Have i missed any :D

Crazeecat isn't mentioned in the name... ..and its vombatus, not wombat god dammit...

Post Reply