Is it just me?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
User avatar
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1200
Joined: 10 July 09 12:29 pm
Location: Canberra

Is it just me?

Post by noikmeister » 03 January 13 9:01 pm

Or is anyone else out there totally over people putting their cache name in every single cache they hide? In Canberra we have Fore! who does it, but does it really creatively, but now we have at least 4 more teams that every hide is "So and so's something or other."

Yeah yeah I know. First world problems, but it irritates me. So am I alone in my irritation?

And before you flame me, I understand that it is totally none of my business and that I am being petulant, so save the flame for winter time.

User avatar
caughtatwork
Posts: 16299
Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Is it just me?

Post by caughtatwork » 03 January 13 9:07 pm

Annoys the pants off me. With paperless caching, if the same text appears at the front of the name AND it's a long name, then I have no idea what I'm looking at. All I see are 10 listings on the GPS all that start exactly the same way, with someones name. Irritating and annoying.

User avatar
FelixII
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found
Posts: 260
Joined: 12 December 10 9:12 pm
Location: Pearsall WA

Re: Is it just me?

Post by FelixII » 03 January 13 9:54 pm

:-k Yep we have same problems in the West too.

Although reference the note about paperless geocaching we used to cause similar problems when we would put out a series of 12 caches so for instance Healthy Snack 1,2,3

So now we actually put the number first.

but yes I know there are others that put out for instance FelixII 1, FelixII 2

doesnt exactly tell you much about the cache does it?

But then I guess we all have to remember its a game and we all play it how we individually like to. :oops: But yep it annoys us too. :?

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found
Posts: 1282
Joined: 05 October 10 10:20 pm
Location: Yorke Peninsula, South Australia

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Laighside Legends » 03 January 13 10:01 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Annoys the pants off me. With paperless caching, if the same text appears at the front of the name AND it's a long name, then I have no idea what I'm looking at. All I see are 10 listings on the GPS all that start exactly the same way, with someones name. Irritating and annoying.
I agree. Put the number (or unique thing) first in the name so my GPS just cuts the generic part off.

In SA we have:
Wandering Heros ... ??? (200+ like this)
Lets follow LPT ??? (~20 like this)
Its a small world - ???? (50+ like this)

And just yesterday:
Hills picnic spot ??? (8 like this)

User avatar
Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found
Posts: 674
Joined: 31 July 08 8:26 pm
Location: Deakin, ACT

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Agent Basil » 04 January 13 9:12 am

noikmeister wrote:Or is anyone else out there totally over people putting their cache name in every single cache they hide? In Canberra we have Fore! who does it, but does it really creatively, but now we have at least 4 more teams that every hide is "So and so's something or other."

Yeah yeah I know. First world problems, but it irritates me. So am I alone in my irritation?

And before you flame me, I understand that it is totally none of my business and that I am being petulant, so save the flame for winter time.
Feel free to put my caches on your ignore list - most of yours are on mine :D

User avatar
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1200
Joined: 10 July 09 12:29 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Is it just me?

Post by noikmeister » 04 January 13 9:26 am

Agent Basil wrote:
noikmeister wrote:Or is anyone else out there totally over people putting their cache name in every single cache they hide? In Canberra we have Fore! who does it, but does it really creatively, but now we have at least 4 more teams that every hide is "So and so's something or other."

Yeah yeah I know. First world problems, but it irritates me. So am I alone in my irritation?

And before you flame me, I understand that it is totally none of my business and that I am being petulant, so save the flame for winter time.
Feel free to put my caches on your ignore list - most of yours are on mine :D
When it was just you and Fore it didn't annoy me. Now with the addition of 2 or 3 others it is annoying me.

User avatar
mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 823
Joined: 28 November 03 10:49 am
Location: Canberra, ACT

Re: Is it just me?

Post by mtbikeroz » 04 January 13 5:24 pm

Rapidlywild’s Fore!gotten to Chalk up Bruce and Basil.

That makes 5. :D

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found
Posts: 1067
Joined: 13 October 03 11:45 am
Location: Travelling Australia using a Garmin Montana 650T

Re: Is it just me?

Post by ian-and-penny » 04 January 13 5:53 pm

Instead of posting such negative carp on the forum maybe it would be better to seek out the answer and post something positive instead.

Hint: There's a setting in GSAK to cure your problem.

User avatar
Marcus Vitruvius
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 297
Joined: 23 July 07 12:35 pm
Location: Newcastle, NSW

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Marcus Vitruvius » 04 January 13 5:56 pm

It certainly doesn't annoy me...but if ever I did put out a large series the one thing I would be mindful of is making each prefix different to differentiate each cache on your GPS. But having said that...when usually doing a powertrail you just hit find next closest and go to it without really reading each and every title.

User avatar
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1200
Joined: 10 July 09 12:29 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Is it just me?

Post by noikmeister » 04 January 13 6:23 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:Instead of posting such negative carp on the forum maybe it would be better to seek out the answer and post something positive instead.

Hint: There's a setting in GSAK to cure your problem.
I expect to be put onto another one of your lists by replying here, but here I go.

Since you didn't quote someone else's reply then I assume you are replying to the OP, if not then I'll retract this. If you bothered to read the whole thread you'll note that I owned up to be being petulant in the OP and that I wasn't the one with the issue of the caches all looking the same in my GPS.

Instead of posting such a negative post against this thread because you are upset that I called you self-serving in another thread why not post something positive instead.

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found
Posts: 1067
Joined: 13 October 03 11:45 am
Location: Travelling Australia using a Garmin Montana 650T

Re: Is it just me?

Post by ian-and-penny » 04 January 13 7:21 pm

noikmeister wrote:Since you didn't quote someone else's reply then I assume you are replying to the OP, if not then I'll retract this.
I was replying to the thread in general.
noikmeister wrote:Instead of posting such a negative post against this thread because you are upset that I called you self-serving in another thread why not post something positive instead.
That's the trouble with assumptions - they are very often wrong.

User avatar
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1200
Joined: 10 July 09 12:29 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Is it just me?

Post by noikmeister » 04 January 13 7:33 pm

noikmeister wrote:
ian-and-penny wrote:Instead of posting such negative carp on the forum maybe it would be better to seek out the answer and post something positive instead.

Hint: There's a setting in GSAK to cure your problem.
I expect to be put onto another one of your lists by replying here, but here I go.

Since you didn't quote someone else's reply then I assume you are replying to the OP, if not then I'll retract this. If you bothered to read the whole thread you'll note that I owned up to be being petulant in the OP and that I wasn't the one with the issue of the caches all looking the same in my GPS.

Instead of posting such a negative post against this thread because you are upset that I called you self-serving in another thread why not post something positive instead.
Retracted then.

User avatar
Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Posts: 1905
Joined: 11 February 07 9:53 pm
Twitter: BigMattandShell
Contact:

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 04 January 13 8:22 pm

There is a way you can separate them out int GSAK. I remember asimilar issue with the Remembrance driveway series.

At the end of the day cache owners will name their caches what they want to as it's their right.

User avatar
Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Posts: 2782
Joined: 22 May 05 11:59 am
Location: Bathurst

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Mr Router » 09 January 13 11:52 am

Big Matt and Shell wrote:At the end of the day cache owners will name their caches what they want to as it's their right.

=D> well said

User avatar
PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found
Posts: 452
Joined: 07 February 08 12:12 pm
Location: Arana Hills.

Re: Is it just me?

Post by PesceVerde » 09 January 13 1:53 pm

A gentleman is a man who can play the accordion, but chooses not to. :|

EDIT: Or substitute accordian with whichever instrument you don't fancy.
Last edited by PesceVerde on 09 January 13 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply