A cunning plan

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

A cunning plan

Post by noikmeister » 03 January 13 8:58 pm

I have a come up with a cunning plan to get people to read the description of the cache before they attempt it. I am going to put a clue in that says:
Cyrnfr ernq gur qrfpevcgvba sbe n pyhr
Then I will manually ROT13 encrypt my clue and embed it in the middle of the description. I see too many caches these days that say things like "Do not attempt at night" or "please don't remove any of the plastic caps on the fence, it isn't under any of them." But the problem is that these will not be read by 90% of cachers (I admit culpability for not reading descriptions at finding time).

What do you all reckon? Anyone already tried this?

caughtatwork

Re: A cunning plan

Post by caughtatwork » 03 January 13 9:05 pm

I only do traditional caches from Groundspeak nowadays, so I rarely, if ever, read the description.

So the hint is to read the description and in the description the ROT13 hint will be placed?

I would never do one of your caches again. I can't ROT13 manually and I wouldn't do it in the field. I certainly wouldn't write the ROT13 out, then decrypt it on paper (which I don't have, I'm paperless). I look at the hint to give me a hint. Reading the hint to find out I need to manually decrypt the hint in the middle of the cache description means I've already gone to the site at the wrong time of day and have already pulled the caps off everything. I use the hint as a last resort and if I'm frustrated already, your method would make me want to kill you.

If I'm mistaken I apologise.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 03 January 13 9:15 pm

Noikmeister, I think your plan is as cunning as .. well, as one of Baldrick's cunning plans. You can try, but you won't succeed. Some people won't read descriptions, some won't read clues, and some will pull everything apart and destroy the entire area, just because they can. ](*,)

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 03 January 13 9:24 pm

Well maybe the ROT13 requiring manual decoding is going to far... [:D]

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 03 January 13 10:16 pm

Maybe put the name in ROT13 so it makes no sense, encouraging people to read the description?

But as said, many will just turn up at an area and go like a bull at a gate. As I do most caching now with the iPhone (it's convenient even if not as accurate as the etrex) I always glance at the description and if I can't find it quickly, the hint. They are all loaded there for me.

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 10 January 13 9:26 am

I wish the majority of cachers would not have huge descriptions with plagiarized text that has nothing to do with the geocache and in turn train us to not read the cache description unless we have to.. That my opinion at least.

Don't get me started a stolen images with no recognition to the original source...

I only read as much as I have to on the cache page to find the cache.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 10 January 13 9:39 am

covert wrote:I wish the majority of cachers would not have huge descriptions with plagiarized text that has nothing to do with the geocache and in turn train us to not read the cache description unless we have to.. That my opinion at least.
I see where you are coming from here. It isn't too hard to read on my Montana, but at least put the relevant information at the top of the listing and the history of the spot or other info at the bottom. I do like to read that when I get home and have done all my logs, but it is pretty useless to have a nicely written history of a spot, why it is here and stuff and then at the very bottom say "Don't lift any of the pavers" and you get there and see that EVERY paver has been lifted and the place has been torn apart.

In future if I have any information to impart like "don't lift any pavers" I'll be putting it in the description as well as the hint.

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 10 January 13 9:54 am

noikmeister wrote: I see where you are coming from here. It isn't too hard to read on my Montana, but at least put the relevant information at the top of the listing and the history of the spot or other info at the bottom. I do like to read that when I get home and have done all my logs, but it is pretty useless to have a nicely written history of a spot, why it is here and stuff and then at the very bottom say "Don't lift any of the pavers" and you get there and see that EVERY paver has been lifted and the place has been torn apart.

In future if I have any information to impart like "don't lift any pavers" I'll be putting it in the description as well as the hint.
The hint is a good place to put info like that. One place on a cache page I always find info only relevant to the find. Good idea !

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 10 January 13 11:41 am

The description should be broken in two parts.
1. summary about finding the cache (this should appear first)
2. details on the area or reason for hiding it etc.. blah blah blah..