"Throwdown" or "angel cache"?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
jonnosan+2

Re: "Throwdown" or "angel cache"?

Post by jonnosan+2 » 30 January 13 5:02 pm

looking at the logs for that cache, there's a "Needs Maintenance" from 2011 that appears to not have been actioned.

So given the description of container, and the concerns about the waypoints being out of date, I strongly recommend logging a "Needs Archiving" and letting a reviewer take a look.

The CO will always get a reasonable amount of time to respond to such a log, but if they continue to ignore, and you were really feeling virtuous, you could go remove the container after it gets archived.

jonnosan+2

Post by jonnosan+2 » 30 January 13 5:07 pm

PS - no need to feel bad about any one cache getting archived, there are plenty more fish in the sea (nearly 10,000 caches in Vic, according to the GCA stats page).

Plus archiving an unmaintained cache lets a more responsible Cache Owner put a new cache out.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 30 January 13 8:28 pm

2max wrote:I just feel bad about it for some reason. We've only been caching for just on 12 months now so very much aware that we are still the new kids on the block, and don't want anyone to look badly on us.
There is a definite (and erroneous) stigma against a NA log. If your log is well written, polite and to the point with all the relevant reasons, then you are being a good geocaching citizen.

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 01 February 13 10:57 am

I have been reading this topic with interest and must come down firmly in favour of replacing caches in most circumstances. In fact I find the term "Throwdown" while probably occasionally correct, is generally misleading.

Many cachers carry spares around and happily use them to the greater benefit of the game. In fact the people who benefit from a cache replacement are far and away the Cache Owners and other cachers - not the replacers - it actually costs them.

While there is an onus, obviously, on Owners to maintain their caches, the reality is that most of us don't have our caches clustered around our houses, and/or from time to time are not able to immediately attend to our caches all the time. So what is more logical that for a cacher, who is there ON THE SPOT, with the makings, to fix the problem?

I have been very grateful at times when that has been done for me, and happily do it for others when I can.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 01 February 13 6:29 pm

Alansee wrote:I have been reading this topic with interest and must come down firmly in favour of replacing caches in most circumstances. In fact I find the term "Throwdown" while probably occasionally correct, is generally misleading.

Many cachers carry spares around and happily use them to the greater benefit of the game. In fact the people who benefit from a cache replacement are far and away the Cache Owners and other cachers - not the replacers - it actually costs them.
I'm happy to perform maintenance on a cache, especially if it is somewhat remote. But only if I can find the original. It may have a cracked lid, be full of water or whatever. But I've found it, so I know where it should be.

I don't support assuming that because you or I can't find it then it isn't there. Which if it happens too often just leads to multiple caches near GZ, with future finders having no way of knowing if they have found the correct one. It could also be missing because it deserves to be - having been placed in a poorly thought out spot, too visible to muggles, somewhere that gets flooded or whatever.

Even with 4000+ finds, there are still D1 or 1.5 caches that occasionally stump me. A return visit later sometimes leads to it being found straight away. Some days I just seem to have cache blindness :mrgreen:

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 01 February 13 9:56 pm

Richary wrote:
Alansee wrote:I have been reading this topic with interest and must come down firmly in favour of replacing caches in most circumstances. In fact I find the term "Throwdown" while probably occasionally correct, is generally misleading.

I'm happy to perform maintenance on a cache, especially if it is somewhat remote. But only if I can find the original. It may have a cracked lid, be full of water or whatever. But I've found it, so I know where it should be.

I don't support assuming that because you or I can't find it then it isn't there. Which if it happens too often just leads to multiple caches near GZ, with future finders having no way of knowing if they have found the correct one. It could also be missing because it deserves to be - having been placed in a poorly thought out spot, too visible to muggles, somewhere that gets flooded or whatever.

Even with 4000+ finds, there are still D1 or 1.5 caches that occasionally stump me. A return visit later sometimes leads to it being found straight away. Some days I just seem to have cache blindness :mrgreen:
Ditto exactly!!!

steamtrain13583

Post by steamtrain13583 » 08 April 13 3:59 pm

I was on trek to Tamworth last week and stopped to look for a cache that had been logged as DNF 3 times before the last find, we stopped because it was an iconic location, we searched for awhile when we decided it was either 1. Missing or 2. We didnt search good enough, i leant towards 1. as the cache size was a decent size and the clue pretty much gave it away, anyways we logged a DNF and in hindsight should have logged a needs maintenance as well, we went on our merry way enjoyed our holiday, when we got back i looked at the same cache and saw this found from another cacher "The container was definitely missing so I replaced with a micro eclipse tin until the co can restore the larger one
Streak day 124 # 1088" this annoyed me just a little because i know i wont get that way again for quite some time and to see something like that grinded my gears a tad, then i calmed down and thought oh well no skin off my back still enjoyed my holidays :D

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 08 April 13 4:14 pm

steamtrain13583 wrote:I was on trek to Tamworth last week and stopped to look for a cache that had been logged as DNF 3 times before the last find, we stopped because it was an iconic location, we searched for awhile when we decided it was either 1. Missing or 2. We didnt search good enough, i leant towards 1. as the cache size was a decent size and the clue pretty much gave it away, anyways we logged a DNF and in hindsight should have logged a needs maintenance as well, we went on our merry way enjoyed our holiday, when we got back i looked at the same cache and saw this found from another cacher "The container was definitely missing so I replaced with a micro eclipse tin until the co can restore the larger one
Streak day 124 # 1088" this annoyed me just a little because i know i wont get that way again for quite some time and to see something like that grinded my gears a tad, then i calmed down and thought oh well no skin off my back still enjoyed my holidays :D
Well you could have done the CO a favour and replaced it too. Maybe, as you knew there were DNF's, even contacted the CO and asked if you could maintain it for them.

Win win all round hey!

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 08 April 13 5:54 pm

steamtrain13583 wrote:I was on trek to Tamworth last week and stopped to look for a cache that had been logged as DNF 3 times before the last find, we stopped because it was an iconic location, we searched for awhile when we decided it was either 1. Missing or 2. We didnt search good enough, i leant towards 1. as the cache size was a decent size and the clue pretty much gave it away, anyways we logged a DNF and in hindsight should have logged a needs maintenance as well, we went on our merry way enjoyed our holiday, when we got back i looked at the same cache and saw this found from another cacher "The container was definitely missing so I replaced with a micro eclipse tin until the co can restore the larger one
If you have GSAK you can filter out caches that have multiple DNFs. In this example it wouldn't have been on my list as I now filter out caches that have had 3 or more DNFs.

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 08 April 13 7:47 pm

The critical words here are "Streak day 124 # 1088"...

In other words: "I couldn't find the cache but I wasn't going to let that destroy my consecutive days run, so I just put my own out instead."

:roll:

Pretty lame. If you're going to be proud of your streak run and publicise it to everyone, at least have the decency to make it on 'found' caches, not throwdowns.

steamtrain13583

Post by steamtrain13583 » 08 April 13 7:59 pm

Yep thats why I included the streak part, I knew it was probably missing just wantef to have a look anyways have a "man's look" my wife would say "woman's" lol

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 08 April 13 8:29 pm

Happy Chappies wrote:
The critical words here are "Streak day 124 # 1088"...

In other words: "I couldn't find the cache but I wasn't going to let that destroy my consecutive days run, so I just put my own out instead."

:roll:

Pretty lame. If you're going to be proud of your streak run and publicise it to everyone, at least have the decency to make it on 'found' caches, not throwdowns.
I couldn't agree more. Shows a lack of ethics.

Richary

Post by Richary » 09 April 13 12:29 am

Personally if it was my cache I would delete the log and stuff their streak.

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 09 April 13 3:29 pm

Richary wrote:Personally if it was my cache I would delete the log and stuff their streak.
If it were my cache, I would say thanks for doing the maintenance run.

(And was this the only cache they did in the streak? )

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 09 April 13 6:55 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:
Richary wrote:Personally if it was my cache I would delete the log and stuff their streak.
If it were my cache, I would say thanks for doing the maintenance run.

(And was this the only cache they did in the streak? )
For replacing a "decent size" cache with a mint tin? Really? You think this is doing anyone a favour except the self serving finder?