Small pens

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Freddo

Re: Small pens

Post by Freddo » 27 January 13 9:40 pm

AussieCacheHunter wrote:So I'm after a nice compact pen that I can carry around with me for when I run into nanos?

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 27 January 13 11:30 pm

I had a great little pen from Japanese visitors to my workplace that was telescopic (single-stage) so would shrink to 3/4-1/2 it's length to fit in your pocket, but expand to make writing comfortable and thus perfect for caching. Sadly I lost it in the grass, etc at on of the caches I visited so have had to resort to regular (and often faulty/smudgy/etc pens). What I'd really like is a pen that can write on right-in-the-rain logs, etc. Pencil yes, but often a bit faint, prone to breakage or perforating soggy log books... I thought of trying a wax pencil (Chinagraph or equivalent) but never quite got around to it...

:-$

Pesky!
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found

Post by Pesky! » 28 January 13 10:47 am

Chinagraph pencils are more like writing witha crayon. they are hard to keep a fine point on.
I have two( 1 black one white) in the car for emergenecy use ,as they will write on just about everything. however they do not sign logs that well.

I have had ,and lost while geocaching, a few pens that i think came from hotel rooms and mail out promotions and the like that were flat and wide,and a farly short length.
but i cannot locate one to show.
this is a link to a google image of simmlar product http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120316 ... an_and.jpg
and another i found... look quite expensive though theseones...http://www.onlinesciencemall.com/media/ ... orti_1.jpg

There are a few instructables online on how to make your own comppact/small pen.

Another idea is to purchase a metal refill for a pen and just carry that.
http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120313 ... Refill.jpg like these ones.
you can even drill a hole in the plastic end, Put a split ring on it and fit it to your keys.
I think i even postedmy own how-to in the forums last year about making a compact pen.
( i found the thread but the images are missing... I have deleted them from Picassa)

Only thing was i cut the metal refil in half to make it shorter, and the thing leaked after a couple of days in py pocket.
let me know if you have any better luck that I did. with thisidea.

A quick search on ebay shows a lot of compact pens,
these ones look like a good idea too..
http://images.linnlive.com/0de592877633 ... 1cbe26.jpg

Zebra Penpod Compact Ballpoint Pen
Yet another incredibly useful pen from Zebra. The PenPod Mobile is a 75mm-long, 12mm diameter case on a metal loop with attached split-ring. Twist the cap to pop out the pen which expands to 90mm long, while the case stays safely and securely attached to your keyring, bag, belt loop, etc.

AussieCacheHunter
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by AussieCacheHunter » 28 January 13 3:17 pm

Bronnie_1990 wrote:
AussieCacheHunter wrote:
Cheesy pigs wrote:smiggle have keychain pens that are very handy
Any idea about what size they are?
Got one, ..i've seen smaller
here it is next to a normal sized pen
Nifty.

Freddo wrote:
AussieCacheHunter wrote:So I'm after a nice compact pen that I can carry around with me for when I run into nanos?
That'd just encourage people to phoenix the cache ;)

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 29 January 13 11:40 am

I bought a pack of mini felt-tip markers that had a ring attached but sadly they're thick and hopeless at signing with, and the ring is attached to a plastic clip so can detach anyway... Still come in handy though

:-$

gmj3191
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 29 January 13 4:48 pm

I think cachers should carry pens and an IKEA type pencil in a cache for emergencies is probably ok if you can't find small pens.
I just applaud people for hiding caches big enough to contain pens and pencils these days.