Green as Grass Newbie needs HELP!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
just_jodie297

Green as Grass Newbie needs HELP!

Post by just_jodie297 » 20 October 12 9:49 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to Geocaching after hearing about it from a random stranger I was talking to one day who regularly partakes in the thrill of the seek and find of caches. I downloaded the iPhone App and have attempted to find 3 caches so far and failed each time even though I picked easy ones and used the clues. For two of the three caches I know I was in the correct location from the clues and wandered around for about half an hour looking in trees, under rocks, in gardens, under the spiders and ants and in snake territory etc but to no avail. My main issue, I believe, is not knowing what I am actually looking for or how they are generally hidden form the world. I have read the beginner information on geochache.com as well as a number of posts in this forum and am still struggling to find my first cache :(

I live on Brisbane's Northside and was wondering if there were any meet ups for the green as grass newbies to geocaching to get a better idea of the practical side of this incredably interesting and fun (yet sometimes a little frustrating) game of global hide and seek.

Regards
Jodie

Just a cacher

Re: Green as Grass Newbie needs HELP!

Post by Just a cacher » 21 October 12 7:02 am

You'll get it. The next one you try for will probably leap out at you (NOT literally!) and you'll be off and running. Sometimes it helps to sit down quietly at the ground zero point, and read through other people's logs. Often the information others have given will suddenly gel, and you will know exactly where to look.

About meeting people: I would suggest that you put this topic in the Queensland forum, which is further down the main index page. There, you will get more 'locals' reading it.

The other thing you can do is look for someone to go out caching with. If you go to the Wiki in the toolbar at the top of the page and type in Guru, you will come to a list of gurus in your area (I hope!).

Good luck! Keep on trying. It's great fun, and Addictive, and well worth all the fuss!!!!! Well, WE think so!

If you have any specific questions, reply here, or send me a message.

Wendy

Wingaap
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Re: Green as Grass Newbie needs HELP!

Post by Wingaap » 23 October 12 3:57 pm

PM sent