Logging Archived Caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Marcus Vitruvius
5000 or more caches found

Re: Logging Archived Caches

Post by Marcus Vitruvius » 07 May 13 9:51 am

GazaC wrote:I logged an archived cache yesterday, and a couple of hours later, the reviewer brought down the hammer, locking the page.
It had been archived for over 2 years and had several finds and DNFs logged over that period. Why now?
Having a look at the cache in question...the reason it has no doubt become locked is that people can't follow instructions, and avoid finding a cache even though it's illegally placed. Entering a storm water drain in Victoria is illegal, so why would you want to! Add to that, the owner hasn't taken enough responsibility to remove the cache himself, and continues to entice people down there, so the reviewer has to do it for him.

GazaC

Post by GazaC » 07 May 13 10:14 am

My question was why NOW?
All catchers do so for different reasons. I've been doing that type of thing long before I was caching. I'm not arguing that it shouldn't have been archived, I'm wondering why the reviewer waits 2 years and 8 logs and then all of a sudden locks it down. Did we do something the others didn't? Were we more in jeopardy? Both of us have confined space permits and do very similar things industrially. We are trained to identify hazards ahead of time and are certified to perform rescues in those environments. I know we were being naughty, but certainly no naughtier than those who came before us.
As for the illegality question, I am far more concerned about historical walls and fences being vandalised/destroyed by catchers, also illegal, in most cases protected by the heritage trust. History is alive, and what is wounded is extremely difficult to heal. Why do the reviewers turn a blind eye to that crime?

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 07 May 13 10:19 am

GazaC wrote:I logged an archived cache yesterday, and a couple of hours later, the reviewer brought down the hammer, locking the page.
It had been archived for over 2 years and had several finds and DNFs logged over that period. Why now?
If it is the cache that I suspect that it is, then 'why now' is because entry is illegal. Sadly. It was my favourite DNF of all time. Without doubt next time I am in Melbourne I will be returning to GZ, whether or not I can claim a 'smiley.' These type of caches can only be legally hidden and found in the ACT.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 07 May 13 10:45 am

I saw this log by a reviewer on an archived cache:
As the map on the page shows, its in the National Park and that's illegal.
Illegal? Are the cache police coming? :mrgreen:

But on a more serious note, why was one cache archived for being in a NP when there are hundreds still out there from the time when they were allowed (or not specifically banned)?

spatialriq
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by spatialriq » 07 May 13 6:53 pm

How do you even find archived caches? Is there a pocket query you can run to see what's nearby?

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 07 May 13 7:04 pm

spatialriq wrote:How do you even find archived caches? Is there a pocket query you can run to see what's nearby?
GCA queries can return archived caches if you select the right box...

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 07 May 13 7:21 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:
spatialriq wrote:How do you even find archived caches? Is there a pocket query you can run to see what's nearby?
GCA queries can return archived caches if you select the right box...
And there's this... (courtesy Geocaching Australia) =D>

http://geocaching.com.au/caches/archived/au.gmap

The only way to view archived caches using the GC site is to go to a cacher's profile page and look at their hidden caches to see the ones with the red line through them. You can look at the listings but they won't show up on any map there.

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 08 May 13 9:54 am

There is a bloke in QLD that has bookmark lists of just about every cache ever archived in Australia. I think his name is Crew153 (or something along those lines). You can run a pocket query based on the bookmark list(s).

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 08 May 13 10:07 am

You can access all my bookmark lists of archived and available archived caches in any state from here:-

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid ... 001cef9403

Go to lists and scroll down to bookmark lists.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 08 May 13 10:35 am

Hoojar wrote:
There is a bloke in QLD that has bookmark lists of just about every cache ever archived in Australia. I think his name is Crew153 (or something along those lines). You can run a pocket query based on the bookmark list(s).
A PQ will not contain archived caches last time I checked sorry mate.

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 08 May 13 10:43 am

Big Matt and Shell wrote:
Hoojar wrote:
It does if the Pocket Query is based on a Bookmark list, trust me, I have eight such queries in my list!

Ministro

Post by Ministro » 08 May 13 11:13 am

GazaC wrote:My question was why NOW?
All catchers do so for different reasons. I've been doing that type of thing long before I was caching. I'm not arguing that it shouldn't have been archived, I'm wondering why the reviewer waits 2 years and 8 logs and then all of a sudden locks it down. Did we do something the others didn't? Were we more in jeopardy? Both of us have confined space permits and do very similar things industrially. We are trained to identify hazards ahead of time and are certified to perform rescues in those environments. I know we were being naughty, but certainly no naughtier than those who came before us.
The cache is archived and the owner should probably have removed it, they even placed another cache within about 50m of this one talking about the issues they had. I became aware of it and placed a watchlist on the cache and when I saw your logs come in I locked the cache.

I can not encourage people to continue to enter this location to get a smiley.

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 08 May 13 11:19 am

Hoojar wrote:
Hoojar wrote:
It does if the Pocket Query is based on a Bookmark list, trust me, I have eight such queries in my list!
There you go, you learn something new every day!

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 08 May 13 11:25 am

There you go, you learn something new every day!
Glad I could finally teach you something :o

GazaC

Post by GazaC » 08 May 13 1:55 pm

Ministro wrote:
GazaC wrote:My question was why NOW?
The cache is archived and the owner should probably have removed it, they even placed another cache within about 50m of this one talking about the issues they had. I became aware of it and placed a watchlist on the cache and when I saw your logs come in I locked the cache.

I can not encourage people to continue to enter this location to get a smiley.

Thanks for answering my question Ministro. I copped a bit of stick from a previous finder (most likely joking) for getting it locked.
When I found the listing and saw logs on it after the archiving, as a relatively new cacher, I blindly followed their lead thinking it was OK .. poor excuse I know, but having logged archived caches previously I thought it was much the same.