Archiving my cache

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Smergol

Re: Archiving my cache

Post by Smergol » 31 August 12 10:14 pm

OK CraigRat, if the boot was on the other foot – what about somebody who has purchased a Geocoin from GC’s shop and has it in a GCA cache – nobody knows it is there; as far as GC are concerned the site doesn’t exist. So does gratitude apply in that scenario?

Lockyer

Post by Lockyer » 02 September 12 9:33 am

What about a facebook page...?

I have never looked for a GCA...I think the last time I used the map on the GCA site it was reallllllllllly slow at loading and at different levels of view some caches vanished, that was approx 6 months ago but.

I think the other issue is alot of people only want to log into one site to post there logs imho.

Smergol

Post by Smergol » 02 September 12 11:55 am

Hi Lockyer, I personally hate Facebook; but millions love it – says a lot about my opinion! I haven’t found GCA’s site tooo slow.
When pjmpjm mentioned the Blue Mountains Power Trail, it got me thinking. If you set up a series like that along some trail and placed the 1st of the series on GC’s site, the 2nd on GCA’s site and so on; then the pedantic cachers out there who will want to do the series will have to log onto GCA to get every second one! If there is a time gap between the setting up of the new cache then they (GC cachers) will be back often as their “Premier Membership” email-outs won’t happen. Any thoughts on that one?
:?:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 September 12 12:31 pm

To be frank, the trouble you will encounter (as will loads of people) is that a GCA poor area doesn't attract GCA cachers from the dark side (GC) to the light side (GCA). The more you put out the more they will come. However, the time between hiding them and people discovering them can be non-trivial.

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga4434 is the first of a set of 26 in a nice park to go for a walk. 10 finds in two months. Not too bad for a GCA series. However, I suspect if I had hidden only one or two in that park, the overall find rate would have been much lower.

Some will go for numbers and some will go for the experience and some will go just because they are GCA caches. I know I fall into all 3 categories. If I'm travelling somewhere that takes a few hours to get to I like to gather up quite a few caches when I get there. A set of 26 to find in a couple of hours is nicer than find 1 drive 10 minutes, find another drive 10 minutes, etc. I like caching, not driving. A good example of this is the Woodlands Series http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc35e2n 100 caches in a park. Lots of people head out to find a whole bunch in easy walking distance because the fun is in geocaching, not always how to get there.

I have a couple of trial caches set not too far from each other. One GC and one GCA.

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gcvx9w 121 finds.
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0432 40 finds.

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc13wdy 69 finds.
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0799 18 finds.

That's probably typical of how the game flows. 1/3rd GCA finds compared to GC.

Of course if no one hides GCA caches, no one will find GCA caches, so by changing your mindset a bit from hide a cache and get loads of finds to hide a cache and encourage people to play at GCA you help to get the word out there. You have to accept that GCA caches will get less finds over time, but once an area is known for GCA caches the find rate starts to increase as people travel to an area to find more caches in less time (see my point above).

I am gathering ammo cans (I want to get about 30) for a series in the west (between Melbourne and Ballarat) and they will all be GCA caches. Great caches in great areas. I know the find rate will be lower than if they were hidden on GC, but there are so many more free and open benefits to GCA I choose to do it that way.

Smergol

Post by Smergol » 02 September 12 1:56 pm

Thanks for that Caughtatwork, found what you had to say and the chasing up the hyperlinks etc. very interesting. It seems that even though you indicated that there was a GCA cache nearby, people wouldn’t go out of their way to find it – maybe it is complacency and they are satisfied with what they get from GC; Where’s their patriotism!?!? Was wondering if in your “Long Forest East/West” did you have any flier/note/advertisement that the other cache existed only 500 meters away, or was the only reference to the “companion cache” on the web site description? Hey I like your work – some GREAT caches there.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 02 September 12 5:21 pm

This thread has developed into a thought-provoking one RE:GCA caches. Could it be split from the OT with an appropriate heading, please? :)

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 02 September 12 7:16 pm

PesceVerde wrote:This thread has developed into a thought-provoking one RE:GCA caches. Could it be split from the OT with an appropriate heading, please? :)
Sorry, I tried :oops: to but it looks like I only split part of it to http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 30&t=17609

C@w or CR can you fix please?

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found

Post by PesceVerde » 03 September 12 4:38 pm

Thanks Matt. I'll make a note of the thread path for possible future reference.
:)

Smergol

Post by Smergol » 04 September 12 12:12 am

Well that worked well PesceVerde – nothing like the old “Wet Blanket” approach; the blog died after your intervention and suggestion!!!

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found

Post by PesceVerde » 04 September 12 11:15 am

:hatoff:
No thanks are necessary. :)

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 04 September 12 5:24 pm

While I'm happy to find GCA caches in the city which are close to where I live, when I go away on a trip, I never seek out GCA caches.
I don't do this consciously, I just never think to do it. It adds a level of complexity and overhead which is more than I can handle when combined with all the other things I do.

And if you try to log a gc.com TB into a GCA cache, I don't think it will show up as missing, it will just stay logged as being in your possession in gc.com (but you'll soon not know where it is so it might as well be logged as missing). Not sure how you would actually log it into a GCA cache anyway, other than advise the fact in your textual log.

Smergol

Post by Smergol » 04 September 12 8:27 pm

PesceVerde wrote::hatoff:
No thanks are necessary. :)
](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)