Archiving my cache

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Smergol

Archiving my cache

Post by Smergol » 30 August 12 8:24 pm

Can somebody tell me how to Archive my cache. Want to do this as it seems that there are no GCA members around Warrnambool. There are a lot of GC members and they seem to make an effort to find any newly hidden cache.
Regards,
Smergol.

lemmykc
2500 or more caches found

Re: Archiving my cache

Post by lemmykc » 30 August 12 8:56 pm

To archive a cache, click on 'log this cache' and then choose the log type 'Archived'.

I checked out the cache in question and I would suggest not archiving it as it looks like it is in perfectly good shape. The fact that it is found rarely is irrelevant to the decision about archiving a cache. It is true that Warrnambool barely has any GCA caches, however I know of a few that like to travel through that area (including me). Then again, it is your choice and if you truly think it deserves to be archived, then so be it. Oh, and it also seems that this cache requires a long walk along the beach to get to it. If you really wanted finds, you should change it to a GC.com cache. Though the finds would probably still be scarce, they would be more than if it was GCA.

If you decide to change it to a GC cache, make sure you archive the GCA counterpart as duel listings are quite bad.

Smergol

Post by Smergol » 30 August 12 9:32 pm

"If you decide to change it to a GC cache, make sure you archive the GCA counterpart as duel listings are quite bad."
But that is what I asked - How do you archive a cache!
I'm only new to this, but have read all about "double listings" - this is the reasoning behind removing it from GCA to GC.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 August 12 9:36 pm

Smergol wrote:"If you decide to change it to a GC cache, make sure you archive the GCA counterpart as duel listings are quite bad."
I'm only new to this, but have read all about "double listings" - this is the reasoning behind removing it from GCA to GC.
lemmykc wrote:To archive a cache, click on 'log this cache' and then choose the log type 'Archived'.
Go to your cache page. Top right click on 'log this cache'. Select the log type 'Archived'. Enter some text. Hit the button. All archived.

lemmykc

Post by lemmykc » 30 August 12 9:37 pm

Smergol wrote:"If you decide to change it to a GC cache, make sure you archive the GCA counterpart as duel listings are quite bad."
Oh, right! It was a bit unclear that you wanted to transfer the listing. I interpreted it as you wanted to archive the cache all together.

Anyway, follow those instructions above and the cache will be archived :D

Smergol

Post by Smergol » 30 August 12 9:50 pm

Thanks for that! I have given your advice some consideration Lemmykc and I will leave it there. I do prefer an Australian run and Free caching organisation; which is why I posted here. But after a month I did think that somebody would have thought a 2K walk there would not have been too far; should I increase the “Difficult” level to 3???

lemmykc

Post by lemmykc » 30 August 12 10:03 pm

Smergol wrote:Thanks for that! I have given your advice some consideration Lemmykc and I will leave it there. I do prefer an Australian run and Free caching organisation; which is why I posted here. But after a month I did think that somebody would have thought a 2K walk there would not have been too far; should I increase the “Difficult” level to 3???
Increasing the difficulty won't really do much to attract people and in fact, it might scare people off! ](*,)

The unfortunate thing is that it is a 2km walk in an area rarely visited by cachers, let alone GCA cachers. It's not really a recipe for many finds unfortunately. The good thing is that you can change one of those variables (being the GCA vs GC thing). It looks like a nice cache nevertheless and I can't wait to find it :D

Smergol

Post by Smergol » 30 August 12 10:13 pm

You are right – the area is rarely visited; by anybody! Great wildlife – Black faced wallabies, echidnas, tiger snakes – whoops maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned the snakes! I run there regularly from Dennington.

Smergol

Post by Smergol » 31 August 12 1:57 pm

Thanks for the replies, I will continue to support GCA. Seeing that GC sites appear on GCA’s web-site and it is not reciprocated by GC, is it unethical to take say a TB from a GC cache and log it as going to a GCA cache? That way it wouldn’t disappear of the radar so to speak until it goes back to a GC cache. It would actually get people from GC looking what is around on GCA! I realise that this might be a No-No, but I haven’t seen any mention to the theory (but I haven’t read all the rules yet!) – sure somebody will set me straight!

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 31 August 12 2:34 pm

Putting a GC TB in a GCA cache makes it appear to be missing on GC's site, I wouldn't recommend doing it.

They wouldn't even be able to tell where it is on the GC site, so they wouldn't even know where to look for it!.. plus, not many people go out of their way to actually grab specific TBs nowadays.

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Popular GCA Traditionals -- BMPT Series

Post by pjmpjm » 31 August 12 3:04 pm

An exception to the general rule of somewhat ignored GCA traditionals has been rogerw3's 60 Blue Mountains Power Trail (BMPT) geocaches, roughly following the Great Western Highway from Penrith to Lithgow.

These have attracted an amazing number of logs, stimulating some geocachers (like yours truly) to immediately try to log all of them!

And there's one anomalous spot on the GWH where the BMPT GCA has received more logs than the GC located a few metres away.

But I agree with all the recent comments -- we need to place more GCAs, and publicise them, if we want to encourage more logs.

My latest, put out for the 'Leura International Day of Geocaching' event in the Blue Mountains, didn't receive as much attention as the GCs around the site, but did 'fly the flag' for the GCA.

But of course, we don't have to choose. We can do both!

Smergol

Post by Smergol » 31 August 12 3:08 pm

So CraigRat, there is no rule that says you are not allowed to do this? If you wrote in the GC log and on their web-site that you are going to place the Trackable or Geocoin at say the GCA “Fire in the Hole” cache (just made that one up!) – then it wouldn’t disappear from the radar as the log will tell you where it is and it might get people looking at GCA’s site to find out where it has gone to! If you kept it up long enough and had a cache the size of a 44 gallon drum – I think you might get some interest in the long run – just a thought.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 31 August 12 3:13 pm

Our biggest issue in spreading the word is that 'we' (GCA) have no budget to go around at big events handing out flyers or whatnot. Makes it real hard to pique peoples interest.

There's plenty of well respected people at events telling people they don't do GCA caches, we need a few more people who are happy with our services to advocate for us too! :lol:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 31 August 12 3:14 pm

Smergol wrote:So CraigRat, there is no rule that says you are not allowed to do this? If you wrote in the GC log and on their web-site that you are going to place the Trackable or Geocoin at say the GCA “Fire in the Hole” cache (just made that one up!) – then it wouldn’t disappear from the radar as the log will tell you where it is and it might get people looking at GCA’s site to find out where it has gone to! If you kept it up long enough and had a cache the size of a 44 gallon drum – I think you might get some interest in the long run – just a thought.
You're free to do what you want, but don't expect the TB owner to be grateful.

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Re: Popular GCA Traditionals -- BMPT Series

Post by Toriaz » 31 August 12 9:34 pm

pjmpjm wrote: And there's one anomalous spot on the GWH where the BMPT GCA has received more logs than the GC located a few metres away.
Now you've made me curious - which one?