Cache contents what do you leave and why?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Minifig Ant

Re: Cache contents what do you leave and why?

Post by Minifig Ant » 27 July 12 12:06 pm

I've been leaving custom-made (or I should say custom-assembled) LEGO minifigures as I'm a big LEGO fan. But I recently did some sums about just how much this was going to cost me to continue to do and the answer wasn't pleasant :\

Instead I've been leaving LEGO magnets. They're on-theme (for me anyway), not all that expensive and actually useful (you can stick stuff to your fridge with 'em, for example). And they're a bit more interesting than a simple LEGO brick, which was another option I was considering. I still leave minifigs occasionally, but only in caches I've really enjoyed finding.

I have a huge collection of swaps that people have left in caches, some of them very cool, but most fairly cheap. I don't begrudge someone who doesn't want to leave an expensive or valuable item lying around in a plastic box in the bush :) I'm planning on making some kind of artwork out of the items I've collected, not quite sure what yet.

wyrdsister
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by wyrdsister » 21 October 12 9:33 pm

Louise anne I hear you we are out of Melbourne and I had a great spot for a cache worked out and another cacher placed an eclipse tin, what a let down. we spent today just topping up caches in our local area and cleaning up rubbish. I figuire with school hols coming there will be kids around and my boys are always apreciative of something interesting. =D>

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 22 October 12 9:53 pm

wyrdsister wrote:Louise anne I hear you we are out of Melbourne and I had a great spot for a cache worked out and another cacher placed an eclipse tin, what a let down. we spent today just topping up caches in our local area and cleaning up rubbish. I figuire with school hols coming there will be kids around and my boys are always apreciative of something interesting. =D>
If you had a great cache planned, why not hide it as a GCA cache? Support the local product and compete with the Eclipse tin! :D

wyrdsister

Post by wyrdsister » 03 November 12 4:50 pm

O.k Now what do you do if the caches in your area are full of shitty buisness cards by the same user? They don't seem to be bothered correctly writing in the book. Interesting enough this couple (you know who you are) dont have their own caches to have to clean out.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 03 November 12 7:23 pm

wyrdsister wrote:O.k Now what do you do if the caches in your area are full of shitty buisness cards by the same user? They don't seem to be bothered correctly writing in the book. Interesting enough this couple (you know who you are) dont have their own caches to have to clean out.
I usually remove any rubbish from a cache and bin it. Like used train tickets and wet or torn bits of paper. I would generally consider business cards as rubbish too, caches are not there for advertising. :D

wyrdsister

Post by wyrdsister » 04 November 12 5:56 pm

Ok I get the idea of expanding civilisation but there is sooo much of an area out in south gippsland that is unexplored. I agree my pet hate is those eclipse tins in the middle of nowhere. UGH

SeabreezeOZ
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by SeabreezeOZ » 26 November 12 11:13 am

I hate when a cache if full of crappy junk, and when it has got wet inside and it all starts rusting and bits of paper go mouldy and fall to pieces. I feel like takeing it all out and tossing it in the bin. Some caches have foriegn coins, usually worthless.
I have found some great caches however that have good quality swaps and its a fight with the kids to stop them taking everything, lol.
South west catchments cache recently had a bundle of usb memory sticks, great idea.
I have a bag full of McDonalds & Hungry Jacks toys and i leave one in a cache, usually not opened that are duplicates of what the kids already have, sometimes its a cleanup of their old toys they dont use anymore, still in good condition of course.

storchburp

Post by storchburp » 26 November 12 4:43 pm

After seeing my first couple of caches I began putting some thought into what could be used in them. I have a small container of tiny toys and trinkets for swaps now and I have the philosophy of looking at a cache and then thinking what addition or swap would improve the variety and value of the total items offered. For example, if there is a plastic toy animal inside a cache, I probably wouldn't put in a plastic deer, and if there is stationery inside a cache I won't place an eraser etc.