bulk downloading to my GPS

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Taz
400 or more spectacular views seen

bulk downloading to my GPS

Post by Taz » 02 July 12 8:56 am

Is there any way to download a whole page of caches to my GPS or do I have to do them one at a time? I tried ticking the boxes and hitting download (on the .com site) but that must go to my computer or something because they weren't on the unit.
Putting 500 or so into the GPS is going to take ages if I have to do the individually, as it is I have to manually enter the ones from here because I have a Magellan which isn't so bad because there aren't as many.

help? :?

caughtatwork

Re: bulk downloading to my GPS

Post by caughtatwork » 02 July 12 9:08 am

Pocket Queries http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/ are your friend.

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 02 July 12 9:25 am

You might also need a database like GSAK to manage the caches and move them from the computer to the GPS :)

jusojara

Post by jusojara » 02 July 12 10:37 am

Yes, Pocket Queries (PQ) and GSAK will make your task a 5 min job. You simply download your PQ thorough GSAK and then sort it anyway you like before sending it to your GPSr. The number is only limited by the capacity of your GPSr.

You can also keep track of your finds though GSAK as well (yes I like GSAK \:D/ )

Taz

Post by Taz » 02 July 12 11:07 am

Ok thanks guys, just had a quick look at GSAK, am downloading and will try it out.
There are all these tricks of the trade..... :lol:

Taz

Post by Taz » 04 July 12 9:32 pm

I've been having a play and I think the only fault I can find with it is I can't seem to make it show me on the map all the caches I have in the GPS or on the list in GSAK. Unfortunately I have a touch of paranoia in my makeup and I want to be certain all the caches in the area I want to search are there but the map on my GPS isn't really big enough to see properly. Am I missing something or am I just asking way too much?

Swampy
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Swampy » 04 July 12 10:40 pm

Taz wrote:I've been having a play and I think the only fault I can find with it is I can't seem to make it show me on the map all the caches I have in the GPS or on the list in GSAK. Unfortunately I have a touch of paranoia in my makeup and I want to be certain all the caches in the area I want to search are there but the map on my GPS isn't really big enough to see properly. Am I missing something or am I just asking way too much?
If you have OziExplorer or another map program (map app?), then you should be able to see all the caches that you have downloaded onto your GPSr. I'm not familiar with Magellans so I'm unsure if you can suck the info out of the GPSr into Ozi.
You should be able to zoom in on an area on the GPSr and see if the caches are there. Having said that, the base maps in most GPSrs are woeful.

You could try grabbing the info out of the GPS by using the 'receive waypoints from GPS' option under the GPS drop down in GSAK. Make sure you have a test database created first and switch to that one before receiving the waypoints. This way, you will know what is in your GPSr. (I know that is convoluted but it will work - once satisfied, then that database can be deleted or overwritten later)

gd___
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by gd___ » 04 July 12 10:49 pm

there are GSAK macros that will map the list from GSAK.

From memory this is the one I use
http://gsak.net/board/index.php?s=6ba48 ... ntry156121

edit
actually I use this one
http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtop ... ntry157381

don't know which is best

Alansee

Post by Alansee » 05 July 12 5:50 pm

That is interesting! :idea:

I have always felt that Caching maps were not as good as they could have been (GC.com doesn't show you the location of solved puzzles/finals, Ozi means using a whole other application). This may be the answer! It's only been around since 2006 which would explain why I have never seen it before! :oops: