GeosportZ 2012 - Questions and Clarifications

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
caughtatwork

Re: GeosportZ 2012 - Questions and Clarifications

Post by caughtatwork » 23 July 12 8:43 am

toy hunters wrote:For 2707, would coordinates like S?? 27.??? E??? 07.??? be acceptable?
The published co-ordinates contain 27 and 07 in order anywhere in the co-ordinate set to claim this requirement.
So, yes, this one works.

GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found

Post by GJMMelb » 23 July 12 10:29 am

Aggghhhhh :shock: :shock: :shock:

The cache we were going to use for the Modern Pentathlon was disabled (muggled) on 13 July and CO was looking for a new hiding spot... They enabled it last night in the new hide - it's still 5 stages but the container size has changed and so the points have changed by 5 points !!!!! :shock:

Back to the drawing board lol (for the rest of the requirements that is... we still need to use that one for the Modern Pentathlon!)

:lol: It's all fun and we KNOW we won't win as we're not doing the Marathon, and are just doing it for the pure fun of it but had to laugh when we had the rest all planned out exactly for a 29/350 result and now this has happened lol :lol:

Oh... and.... we still may chicken out of the Aquatics yet!!! :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 23 July 12 10:42 am

<puts on wetsuit> Chilly today aint it? <trudges out door...>

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 23 July 12 12:37 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
toy hunters wrote:For 2707, would coordinates like S?? 27.??? E??? 07.??? be acceptable?
The published co-ordinates contain 27 and 07 in order anywhere in the co-ordinate set to claim this requirement.
So, yes, this one works.
Oooh, I forgot about the coordinates option for this requirement. I was hanging out for a cache to be published on 27 July!

*starts searching GSAK DB*

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 23 July 12 2:11 pm

If there are half a dozen teams who achieve the 350 total via all 30 events, the places are going to be on a countback. I expect everyone will have to log the marathon on the last day (is that right for the "date" we show on this one when we enter it to geosportz??) so the next highest score will be one of the 25 pointers and it is likely to come down to who logged their 25 pointer(s) first.

Does the Game Ladder automatically calculate the countback so what we see there at any given time will be the actual places? Or is the countback done manually?

So if we have a number of teams all sitting on 250 points on 1st August with 29 events completed, will the ladder be showing the correct placings?

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 23 July 12 2:21 pm

Zalgariath wrote:<puts on wetsuit> Chilly today aint it? <trudges out door...>
LOL brrrrrrrr!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hope you survived!! :D

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 July 12 2:45 pm

blossom* wrote:If there are half a dozen teams who achieve the 350 total via all 30 events, the places are going to be on a countback. I expect everyone will have to log the marathon on the last day (is that right for the "date" we show on this one when we enter it to geosportz??) so the next highest score will be one of the 25 pointers and it is likely to come down to who logged their 25 pointer(s) first.

Does the Game Ladder automatically calculate the countback so what we see there at any given time will be the actual places? Or is the countback done manually?

So if we have a number of teams all sitting on 250 points on 1st August with 29 events completed, will the ladder be showing the correct placings?
Countback is done automagically.
If you find someone on the list with the same points, they are already being counted back.

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 23 July 12 4:34 pm

blossom* wrote:If there are half a dozen teams who achieve the 350 total via all 30 events, the places are going to be on a countback. I expect everyone will have to log the marathon on the last day (is that right for the "date" we show on this one when we enter it to geosportz??) so the next highest score will be one of the 25 pointers and it is likely to come down to who logged their 25 pointer(s) first.

It would be nice to finish in the placings, but I'll just be chuffed if I can reach 350 points. I only expect to complete 25 or 26 requirements, so I doubt I'll be at the pointy end of the ladder.

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 23 July 12 7:34 pm

A query about requirement 30 - if we chose the hide option. If it's a GC.com hide, what happens if there's a delay in publishing that doesn't allow us to log it within 7 days? It's unlikely that it would take that long for a cache to get published (unless there's something odd or weird about the cache), but stranger things have happened....

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 July 12 7:58 pm

Team Wibble wrote:A query about requirement 30 - if we chose the hide option. If it's a GC.com hide, what happens if there's a delay in publishing that doesn't allow us to log it within 7 days? It's unlikely that it would take that long for a cache to get published (unless there's something odd or weird about the cache), but stranger things have happened....
Then log it on the day it was published vs. hidden.
I'm afraid you're at the mercy of the GC publishing system there.
Of course if you choose GCA, you get to log it immediately :mrgreen:

Team Wibble

Post by Team Wibble » 23 July 12 8:03 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Team Wibble wrote:A query about requirement 30 - if we chose the hide option. If it's a GC.com hide, what happens if there's a delay in publishing that doesn't allow us to log it within 7 days? It's unlikely that it would take that long for a cache to get published (unless there's something odd or weird about the cache), but stranger things have happened....
But given this requirement relates to a specific date, logging it on the date it was published automatically discounts that requirement? (and yes, I know I could go the GCA route. Or just find one instead. But I like making things difficult for myself, apparently :mrgreen: )

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 July 12 8:09 pm

Team Wibble wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
But given this requirement relates to a specific date, logging it on the date it was published automatically discounts that requirement? (and yes, I know I could go the GCA route. Or just find one instead. But I like making things difficult for myself, apparently :mrgreen: )
I'll check the hide date. If it.s ... (ha! you're not going to get the date that easily) ... then if it was more than 7 days ago, I'll accept your publish date.

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 23 July 12 10:19 pm

"Geocaches you claim for the game must be logged at CachingGames.com within 7 days of your find date on the original listing site or prior to the end of the game, whichever occurs first."

Hmm - I don't see where it says it must be within 7 days *after* your cache find/hide.... :idea: :mrgreen: :wink:

:-$

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 July 12 10:51 pm

I defy you to log a claim on a cache you haven't found.
And by defy I mean if you do it and you get spotted, you'll be DQ'd instantly.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 23 July 12 10:53 pm

quiet1_au wrote:"Geocaches you claim for the game must be logged at CachingGames.com within 7 days of your find date on the original listing site or prior to the end of the game, whichever occurs first."

Hmm - I don't see where it says it must be within 7 days *after* your cache find/hide.... :idea: :mrgreen: :wink:

:-$
huh???