GeosportZ 2012 - Questions and Clarifications

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found

Re: GeosportZ 2012 - Questions and Clarifications

Post by Bewilderbeest » 12 June 12 3:36 pm

Scoring
The ladder is sorted by the total points earned then by number of requirements claimed.
I would just like to to clarify the sort order please.

Obviously the higher the points the better but with the number of requirements, which way are they sorted: highest to lowest meaning the cacher who meets the most requirements finishes higher; or lowest to highest meaning the cacher with the highest average points/find finishes higher?

Thanks

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 June 12 3:41 pm

This game challenges you to maximise the number of requirements you claim and to reach but not exceed a target of 350 points.
Highest to lowest.

That's part of the challenge. Not to get there with the fewest requirements met, but the most.

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 12 June 12 10:37 pm

Excellent, thanks.

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 13 June 12 1:36 pm

Me again. I have a few questions but will post them separately for clarity.

In anticipation of the requirements, if there is a requirement that requires you to find a certain number of caches can you use one cache to claim that requirement, and one of the other caches for another?

e.g. You need to find 27 caches to meet the 2707 requirement. You claim cache A as the find for this requirement, but can you also claim one of the other 26 against another requirement such as Boxing?

Cheers.

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 13 June 12 1:38 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Dik: wrote:
urch1949 wrote:When logging the multiple cache events - eg Heptathlon or Decathlon - the highest scoring cache is logged, and the rest are listed in the justification box ...
Do the scores of these other caches get added on as well, or are their point values irrelevant?
When doing these the requirement states "list the highest point claim you can".

Is it mandatory to claim the highest possible score?
Could you claim one of the lower scoring caches if that was to your advantage?
If not who would check thet you had actually claimed the maximum?
Do you need to do the sums on every cache in your claim to prove it was the highest?
Your are free to claim any combination of points out of the 7 or 10 that you complete. It probably benefits most people to claim the highest, but of course if you need a specific number of points to meet a target, then claim those points instead.
If there is a similar requirement this time, must you claim the highest pointscore, or can you pick and choose?

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 13 June 12 1:39 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Coffee and Cache wrote:Re: Badminton

Me again I'm afraid.<p>

What about if the flying ability of the animal is somewhere between that of an eagle and a kiwi? <p>

I'm thinking specifically of the Lyrebird. They are poor flyers and generally regarded as ground dwellers, but can indeed manage to get up to the tops of trees, apparently in a series of short hops/flights where they dwell at night.<p>
We've allowed chickens so I think a lyrebird would fit into that category.
If there is a similar requirement this time, what about a peacock?

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 13 June 12 1:49 pm

Bewilderbeest wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:

Me again I'm afraid.<p>

What about if the flying ability of the animal is somewhere between that of an eagle and a kiwi? <p>

I'm thinking specifically of the Lyrebird. They are poor flyers and generally regarded as ground dwellers, but can indeed manage to get up to the tops of trees, apparently in a series of short hops/flights where they dwell at night.<p>
What on earth are you planning??? :shock: I'm beginning to suspect that you're going to complete all 30 events on Day 1 with total score of 350 due to extensive planning and coniving :evil:

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 13 June 12 2:02 pm

blossom* wrote:
Bewilderbeest wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:

Me again I'm afraid.<p>

What on earth are you planning??? :shock: I'm beginning to suspect that you're going to complete all 30 events on Day 1 with total score of 350 due to extensive planning and coniving :evil:
Don't panic! I'm not that serious - I was just looking at the caches on my to do/wish list, and wondering which ones I should maybe leave until after 1 July.

I suspect that like last time, I wont get anywhere near completing all of the requirements...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 June 12 2:22 pm

Bewilderbeest wrote:Me again. I have a few questions but will post them separately for clarity.

In anticipation of the requirements, if there is a requirement that requires you to find a certain number of caches can you use one cache to claim that requirement, and one of the other caches for another?

e.g. You need to find 27 caches to meet the 2707 requirement. You claim cache A as the find for this requirement, but can you also claim one of the other 26 against another requirement such as Boxing?

Cheers.
Each requirement must be claimed against a geocache previously unfound by you. ie. You cannot revisit a geocache you have already found to claim a requirement, unless the requirement specifically states an exception.
Each requirement must be claimed against a different geocache. ie. You cannot claim more than one requirement per geocache.
Poorly worded, but if you have found a cache that you are using as a requirement , then you have found the cache and therefore the cache is not unfound by you for the next requirement.
To speak plainly, no. If you use a cache for any requirement you cannot use it again.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 June 12 2:24 pm

Bewilderbeest wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:

Me again I'm afraid.<p>

If there is a similar requirement this time, then if you can provide a cite that justifies your position, it will be all good.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 22 June 12 8:38 pm

You don't think you might give us a few hints with only a week to go? [-o< (I hate waiting! It takes sooooooo long :evil: )

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 June 12 8:46 pm

Sure, why not.
For requirement 30 there is probably one one geocacher who will know how to meet the requirement immediately. The rest of you will probably need to find out who that is and offer a non-trivial bribe. It may be worth getting onto the fact finding sooner rather than later.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 22 June 12 8:51 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Sure, why not.
For requirement 30 there is probably one one geocacher who will know how to meet the requirement immediately. The rest of you will probably need to find out who that is and offer a non-trivial bribe. It may be worth getting onto the fact finding sooner rather than later.
Oh good, that helps. :roll: I'll get right on to the fact finding tonight. Which facts do you reckon I ought to look into first?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 June 12 9:03 pm

OK, maybe that wasn't a good hint.

4 years ago during the same game, I found a cache (well I had a cache handed to me) that met one of the requirements that will be the same as this year. The further south you go, the more you are going to hate me. A certain Tasmanian (now) will know what I'm talking about.

sushilord
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by sushilord » 22 June 12 9:39 pm

Will you be able to revisit a cache that you have already found and logged, say a month ago, and claim the revisit for a requirement in this game, or do the finds for claiming a requirement for this game need to be first time finds? [-o<

Any more hints? :^o