Forgotten to log caches.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found

Forgotten to log caches.

Post by Team Pathfinder » 23 May 12 5:10 pm

We have just parked up for the night at an overnight rest spot at Yandina in Queensland there is a cache right here. As soon as we pulled in Ian said we have already found this one and as it is slightly unique he described it then without GPS headed straight for it and found it. I have been sitting here this afternoon going through old logs and now find that it appears there are probably many caches we found on our trip following the Oz Mega 2010 that I somehow missed logging. Probably because we had limited internet is my excuse although I thought I had been writing every find down. Hmmm... :oops:

Anyway, I know I must have missed heaps we found in Brisbane but one in particular sticks in my mind, it was down on the boardwalk on the southern side of the river. Can anyone here recall what it's name might have been please as I think it probably got washed away in the floods as I can't seem to spot it now.

Meanwhile we will now be stopping at all caches along our route and finding them again I guess.

cheers

Sue

PS. I haven't told Ian about my goof ups yet.. :lol:

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

Re: Forgotten to log caches.

Post by ian-and-penny » 23 May 12 5:43 pm

Do you log them as found in the GPS?

We have found that even without internet you can still do all of your daily publishing offline (in GSAK with data from the GPS or the GSAK grid), and then upload them all at once (or in batches) when you do get internet signal.

crew 153
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 23 May 12 6:35 pm

Sue

How long ago was it? Are you talking about the Southbank area?

the farmers 5
4500 or more caches found
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 23 May 12 6:53 pm

Team Pathfinder wrote:We have just parked up for the night at an overnight rest spot at Yandina in Queensland there is a cache right here. As soon as we pulled in Ian said we have already found this one and as it is slightly unique he described it then without GPS headed straight for it and found it. I have been sitting here this afternoon going through old logs and now find that it appears there are probably many caches we found on our trip following the Oz Mega 2010 that I somehow missed logging. Probably because we had limited internet is my excuse although I thought I had been writing every find down. Hmmm... :oops:

Anyway, I know I must have missed heaps we found in Brisbane but one in particular sticks in my mind, it was down on the boardwalk on the southern side of the river. Can anyone here recall what it's name might have been please as I think it probably got washed away in the floods as I can't seem to spot it now.

Meanwhile we will now be stopping at all caches along our route and finding them again I guess.

cheers

Sue

PS. I haven't told Ian about my goof ups yet.. :lol:
Sue,
If it makes you feel better, a log came in about 4 to 6 weeks ago for the OZ MEGA event.
Not the Albury one, i am talking the Wagga one.

Can you believe it. :shock:

Logs filtered in for caches around Wagga for well over a year after the event. It seems people just forget and get distracted and mean to do it in the next few days after the find but it slips there mind.
So, you are not alone. :lol:

Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Post by Dvixen » 23 May 12 7:05 pm

Not at all alone!

I had a cache owner contact me to tell me I'd forgotten to log his cache. I think it was about a year and a half later? I'm horrid for forgetting to log caches, I've others that were near that late logging, hehe. Even now that I have a smartphone with a spanky application, I still forget. ;)

andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by andiamo » 23 May 12 8:39 pm

We have been caught on a number of occasions where we even remember the on-line log we had written for the find, but months later the log does not appear on the cache page. Sometimes, the log has appeared as a note, but more often there has been nothing!

WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 23 May 12 9:45 pm

How about the fact our daughter (BBTD) still has over 250 finds to log from as far back as 2009 (She's not too keen on missing out on a heap of facebook time whilst she's typing up all the caching logs \:D/ )

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 24 May 12 8:45 am

Dvixen wrote:a smartphone with a spanky application
Sounds like my kind of app :wink:

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 24 May 12 8:59 am

OK let's see how good the memory in replying to your comments :lol:

The caches in question are most likely only the Brisbane through to Gympie ones, as past Gympie we had bought a dongle to replace the one that belonged to Ians' work. (he resigned and sent works laptop and dongle back there).

The dates are May 2010 and that Southport cache doesn't show up anymore on a list as it probably washed away. It was in that lovely garden with the boardwalk we had to go over the edge to retrieve it.

Ian and Penny, despite my being pretty competent with programs the one I have owned the longest but least understand is GSAK, even thought I bought it back when Clyde very first released it nearly 10 years ago. In my defence I probably would have made a better effort if it wasn't for the fact that we lived so remote and only found a few caches at a time back then.

My Ian does have a smartphone now and has been logging as he goes which actually urks me as I like to leave proper logs. OK some nano and micros don't have much that can be said about them but I always think that if someone has taken the time to hide something I should take the time to make a decent log. I love good logs on my caches and read every one.

Greg, I did see that log on the 2010 Oz Mega. It is really hard to believe that someone didn't log that one straight away.

Sorry if I have missed anyone. If anyone does know the name of that Southport cache I would love to know it, not so worried about the others but now I have that one in my head..... LOL.

Cheers all,

Sue

PS heading for Goomeri for the Pumpkin Festival this weekend if anyone is going please look us up at the showgrounds.

crew 153

Post by crew 153 » 24 May 12 1:14 pm

Sue,

The one in Brissy was probably Combination Bravo GCKR9H. It was under the boardwalk before the flood.

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 24 May 12 1:39 pm

After caching for over 6 years I have found that one bit of technology seems to work best. Actually two -

A piece of organically derived flat white very thin sheet, and a container of specific secretion blue fluid.

Works every time!

Except when forget to apply them of course! Doh!

the farmers 5
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 24 May 12 2:11 pm

Alansee wrote:After caching for over 6 years I have found that one bit of technology seems to work best. Actually two -

A piece of organically derived flat white very thin sheet, and a container of specific secretion blue fluid.

Works every time!

Except when forget to apply them of course! Doh!
Cant agree more Alan. I can certainly remember one exact day we were together caching in Melbourne general cemetery doing the Walter Lindrum cache.
We bumped into Geodes and he asked us what the papers were we we're carrying.
We explained they were the days caching pages.

He was quite amazed at what we had.
That was about 5 or 6 years ago and guess what , we still enjoy it the same way .
Now, where is the bike rider these days ???

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 24 May 12 2:59 pm

I keep getting weird looks from my 'modern' friends because I prefer to print out long multi's and other sorts of puzzles, even though I have a 'so called' paperless caching GPS.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 24 May 12 8:19 pm

Not alone at forgetting to log caches. The year before Oz Mega Wagga Wagga, we returned from down south, via the Newell Hwy, and cached along the way.

When Wagga Wagga came around, we had our attendance earmarked as a milestone cache- it may have been 1000.

After Wagga Wagga, we again returned north via the Newell, and went to find a cache at a rest area. It was strangely familiar. I went straight to it, knowing we had been there before. Checking the log book revealed our stamp from the previous year. Which meant, our milestone cache of the Mega event, was actually find number 1001. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Moneydork

Post by Moneydork » 24 May 12 10:42 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Not alone at forgetting to log caches. The year before Oz Mega Wagga Wagga, we returned from down south, via the Newell Hwy, and cached along the way.

When Wagga Wagga came around, we had our attendance earmarked as a milestone cache- it may have been 1000.

After Wagga Wagga, we again returned north via the Newell, and went to find a cache at a rest area. It was strangely familiar. I went straight to it, knowing we had been there before. Checking the log book revealed our stamp from the previous year. Which meant, our milestone cache of the Mega event, was actually find number 1001. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Used to happen to me a LOT - however having a fieldnote capable GPS has certainly reducted the rate of revisits to strangely familiar caches.