BIG Little Geocaching Event

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
oakydog
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Re: BIG Little Geocaching Event

Post by oakydog » 30 April 12 8:17 pm

Spent 4 days kayaking down the Glenelg River this January. An absolutely stunningly beautiful area, I won’t need much convincing and it sounds like I may be able to arrive by the GeoYak :D

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 30 April 12 8:28 pm

oakydog wrote:Spent 4 days kayaking down the Glenelg River this January. An absolutely stunningly beautiful area, I won’t need much convincing and it sounds like I may be able to arrive by the GeoYak :D
Yes it is the main reason we're in this area, so we could work in the boating cache as part of your registration price.. obviously some people may take the chance to kick back and hire a canoe or similar and take an extended cruise down the river..

Thanks for the feedback..
James

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 03 May 12 3:53 pm

For people asking the GC listing WILL be available on the 19th JUNE to log your attendance. Thanks.

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 05 May 12 10:05 pm

Thanks to a number of sponsors we've got plenty of geo goodies to give away at the event..

Plus a couple of major announcements coming soon.. stay tuned..

ruralslicker
Location: Churchill Vic 3842 (Latrobe Valley) 160 km east of Melbourne

Post by ruralslicker » 06 May 12 3:09 pm

Hmmm…..no pets……no alcohol……..not a long weekend…….

I’d love to attend, but can’t make a decision yet.

What really peeves me are the camping fees – I think $22 per night for an UNpowered sight is a bit rich. Are the showers included or extra? The nearby River Vu caravan park at $16 is a bargain by comparison, so considering all that’s probably where I’d stay if I'm able to attend.

A few years ago I hosted a camping group at a Christian alcohol-free camp site west of Ballarat (Vic). With their permission, I obtained a liquor licence just for the weekend. Would your Karnkendi people consider this?

None of this should be read as criticism – I think it’s great that you are organising this Event =D>.

It’s early days I know, so I’ll keep an eye on the web page for updates and more detailed info.

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 06 May 12 6:32 pm

ruralslicker wrote:Hmmm…..no pets……no alcohol……..not a long weekend…….

I’d love to attend, but can’t make a decision yet.

What really peeves me are the camping fees – I think $22 per night for an UNpowered sight is a bit rich. Are the showers included or extra? The nearby River Vu caravan park at $16 is a bargain by comparison, so considering all that’s probably where I’d stay if I'm able to attend.

A few years ago I hosted a camping group at a Christian alcohol-free camp site west of Ballarat (Vic). With their permission, I obtained a liquor licence just for the weekend. Would your Karnkendi people consider this?

None of this should be read as criticism – I think it’s great that you are organising this Event =D>.

It’s early days I know, so I’ll keep an eye on the web page for updates and more detailed info.
Hi,

Thanks for your comments. The unpowered site price is not quite right as RiverVu is a beautiful spot but the price you quote is
UNpowered site for a maximum of TWO people, extra people cost $5 extra per person per night.

So to compare our $22 unpowered site with up to 8 people would cost actually $46 at RiverVu for the same number of people.
I will get the event website changed to reflect that up to 8 people can stay at that nightly cost.

Great point you make, a liquor licence may be a possibility so I will look into that for sure, appreciate the idea.

Thanks
Last edited by jgc3 on 06 May 12 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 06 May 12 6:35 pm

ruralslicker wrote: Are the showers included or extra? .
Yes there's an outdoor shower and toilet block as well as a laundry provided for camp sites..

Cheers

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 06 May 12 7:28 pm

For those staying nearby in Mount Gambier here's another PET friendly location.

http://pinecountry.com.au/

Thanks

ahomburg
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by ahomburg » 09 May 12 10:30 pm

Definitely count me in and possibly Geo Brother and sister in law as well.

I can do without alcohol for a weekend despite popular opinion :P and am also prepared to leave my pet fish at home just for the weekend to fend for themselves. \:D/

This sounds like a lot of fun and I will watch the progress with anticipation.

Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Twitter: bronnie1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 10 May 12 12:10 am

ahomburg wrote: and am also prepared to leave my pet fish at home just for the weekend to fend for themselves. \:D/
Well drats, i was going to bring my pet cat, (...at a pet friendly camping ground, clearly), so there goes her form of entertainment ;)

Price of a campsite is a bit of a pain for me, i imagine i will not take up the space of 8 people!! ;)
So it may be a bit cheaper for me to stay at the other place (I know it's just 6 bucks difference..but it adds up i guess)

WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 10 May 12 12:35 am

We've spent a few days of Christmas holidays down the south west corner a couple of times in recent years and have visited on a number of other occasions; always having a good time.

Therefore the decision was easy...We're booked into private accomm in Nelson. (The Wench and the Wenchette both believe broomsticks and tents don't belong together :-" )

Count us in.

ruralslicker
Location: Churchill Vic 3842 (Latrobe Valley) 160 km east of Melbourne

Post by ruralslicker » 10 May 12 10:28 am

Price of a campsite is a bit of a pain for me, i imagine i will not take up the space of 8 people!! ;)
So it may be a bit cheaper for me to stay at the other place (I know it's just 6 bucks difference..but it adds up i guess)
As a one-person team, I'd feel a bit “guilty” totally taking up a large site that could be better utilised by 8 persons. Anyway, I might end up with 8 snorers on the sites either side of me :lol: .

For the moment (should I attend) I think my best bet at peak holiday time may be to book an unpowered site for 5 straight nights at a nearby caravan park, meaning no setup required Friday morning after a long drive, and no packup Monday morning. But it’s early days yet – plenty of time for me to make decisions.

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 10 May 12 1:10 pm

ahomburg wrote:Definitely count me in and possibly Geo Brother and sister in law as well.

I can do without alcohol for a weekend despite popular opinion :P and am also prepared to leave my pet fish at home just for the weekend to fend for themselves. \:D/

This sounds like a lot of fun and I will watch the progress with anticipation.
Thanks, appreciate the post, I'm happy to hear from anyone who has ideas / suggestions they'd like to add..
We've got a few surprises we're working on.. so I guess I'll take the "bait".. a geocaching pet fish :)
My the fish is "hooked" like most of us!!

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 10 May 12 1:17 pm

Bronnie_1990 wrote:
ahomburg wrote: and am also prepared to leave my pet fish at home just for the weekend to fend for themselves. \:D/
Well drats, i was going to bring my pet cat, (...at a pet friendly camping ground, clearly), so there goes her form of entertainment ;)

I understand completely, there are some very lovely spots nearby to camp.. It might be an option to share for some people say 2 teams on one site to make it cheaper.. I have no problem with two teams say paying the registration each but paying for one campsite up to 8 people.. as long as we're aware so we can plan..

Thanks

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 10 May 12 1:23 pm

WazzaAndWenches wrote:We've spent a few days of Christmas holidays down the south west corner a couple of times in recent years and have visited on a number of other occasions; always having a good time.

Therefore the decision was easy...We're booked into private accomm in Nelson. (The Wench and the Wenchette both believe broomsticks and tents don't belong together :-" )

Count us in.
Great.. awesome there's some nice places down there to stay.. thanks for the support.. yes I can imagine a tent is difficult to carry on a broomstick..

Look forward to saying hello at the event..