BIG Little Geocaching Event

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
jgc3

Re: BIG Little Geocaching Event

Post by jgc3 » 10 May 12 1:30 pm

ruralslicker wrote:
Price of a campsite is a bit of a pain for me, i imagine i will not take up the space of 8 people!! ;)
So it may be a bit cheaper for me to stay at the other place (I know it's just 6 bucks difference..but it adds up i guess)
As a one-person team, I'd feel a bit “guilty” totally taking up a large site that could be better utilised by 8 persons. Anyway, I might end up with 8 snorers on the sites either side of me :lol: .

For the moment (should I attend) I think my best bet at peak holiday time may be to book an unpowered site for 5 straight nights at a nearby caravan park, meaning no setup required Friday morning after a long drive, and no packup Monday morning. But it’s early days yet – plenty of time for me to make decisions.
Yes for one person it sounds like a good plan as there's enough places in the area you might like to have a better look around after the event, or try to log as many of the new caches we're working on as possible.

We've been out this week working out nice locations for the approx 50 caches / 50 munzees we're deploying.

Any although I've been to Nelson many times I've surprised myself at some of the beautiful places / views we've found looking for hiding spots..

So I'm enjoying myself well before the event..

Yes plenty of time as we can't even list the GC number for a while still... as we're expecting to make it an annual event, the campsite is upgrading buildings / location etc. next year (not because we're staying) so it will be quite different in 2014.

Thanks for the message..

ahomburg
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by ahomburg » 10 May 12 2:24 pm

If you are anticipating this becoming a Mega, 500+ is there enough space to camp or do we need to book a long way in advance? Is camping in the National Park allowed?

AH

Mrs Parrot

Post by Mrs Parrot » 10 May 12 3:54 pm

We have been saying for a long time that we should have a holiday down around this way as it is a lovely spot. We have booked our accommodation nearby at a holiday house and so at this point there will be 5 of us maybe 6. We are looking forward to this event very much.

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 10 May 12 8:10 pm

ahomburg wrote:If you are anticipating this becoming a Mega, 500+ is there enough space to camp or do we need to book a long way in advance? Is camping in the National Park allowed?

AH
Hi,

There's enough room for about 150+ people on site (camping + 15 rooms + limited sites for vans) without cramming like sardines!! :)

The rest of the area is going to be used for stage / events / room for kids to play etc.

There's a lot of very close by nice places to stay (I have links to some here)
http://www.biglittleevent.com/accommodation.html
http://www.nelsonvictoria.com.au/direct ... ommodation

So if you decide you wish to camp onsite you'd want to get in as early as you feel comfortable with.
Or keep an eye on these listings or email me directly.. happy to keep you informed.
The GC listing is according to Groundspeak going to listed 19th June.

No camping in most areas of the National Parks however
there are campsites (free) available at selected spots on the GSWW (Great South West Walk)
http://www.greatsouthwestwalk.com/track/campsites.php

Thanks
James
Last edited by jgc3 on 10 May 12 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 10 May 12 8:20 pm

Mrs Parrot wrote:We have been saying for a long time that we should have a holiday down around this way as it is a lovely spot. We have booked our accommodation nearby at a holiday house and so at this point there will be 5 of us maybe 6. We are looking forward to this event very much.
Thank you, I appreciate the support, and look forward to talking to everyone. There certainly is some nice B&B's locally at Nelson.

Regards
James

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 10 May 12 9:01 pm

We're pleased to let everyone know, the setup is coming along well for the event.

We've found some beautiful locations for the 50 new caches going out, we've been
in Nelson spending time checking out interesting spots for people to stop and hunt!

Some of them WILL require you to get wet or head out in a canoe or boat.

Yes, there's a prepaid (part of your registration fee) boat trip included so you
can at least perhaps grab one water cache if you dare! :)

Thanks
James

quasar217

Post by quasar217 » 11 May 12 12:15 pm

I'm hoping I *MIGHT* be able to attend this one. It sounds interesting.

I've just got a few questions, not having been to a major event since 2002.

How suitable are they for young children? It would just be me with a 6 year old and a 3 year old daughter (my wife is not a geocaching fan!). Obviously canoeing or anything like that is out of the question. How safe would the boat trip be? Are the caches likely to be kid friendly?

We don't do camping, so is there any chance that other accommodation would be available? It's in the middle of the summer holidays so I expect most things would already be booked out? I've only been to Nelson once before but I know it's a pretty small place!

Thanks

Quasar

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 11 May 12 1:13 pm

quasar217 wrote:I'm hoping I *MIGHT* be able to attend this one. It sounds interesting.

I've just got a few questions, not having been to a major event since 2002.

How suitable are they for young children? It would just be me with a 6 year old and a 3 year old daughter (my wife is not a geocaching fan!). Obviously canoeing or anything like that is out of the question. How safe would the boat trip be? Are the caches likely to be kid friendly?

We don't do camping, so is there any chance that other accommodation would be available? It's in the middle of the summer holidays so I expect most things would already be booked out? I've only been to Nelson once before but I know it's a pretty small place!

Thanks

Quasar
Hi,

Thanks for the post. Obviously it is going to be a little different at any event, but I expect most larger events to be ok for kids. However, I can say we've got a number of interesting things planned suitable for younger children to older ones. We have other kids activities planned but not
booked yet so I can't guarentee those yet... but more will be announced when possible.

Kid's Activities

We've got areas set up that the little one's can draw with crayons etc.. we've got a large grass area that will have a safety barrier for the children to run around kick a ball and generally play.. there will also be a small area in the entertainment room with building blocks etc.. and a small tv / dvd with some G rated movies available.

There's also some board games available which would suit a little older kids.

Only a few minutes from the Event area there's also a new BBQ / Playground area that has a new boardwalk near the river.

A little further away there's another playground not far from the kiosk.

For people attending we'll post co-ords to all these spots (closer to the event) for your assistance if attending.

Boating

The boating trip will be:

Pontoon Boat
http://www.biglittleevent.com/big-fun-what-s-on!.html

"Our pontoon boat seats up to 10 people and is great for parties and celebrations of every kind. Lounge style seating and an all-weather canopy make for comfortable year-round cruising."

Everyone is supplied with a life jacket but if the children have a lot of energy they might not like to sit still for that long.. about 1 hour per group of ten..

If you check the photo on the bottom of the What's on page (link above) you'll see there's hand rails and should be suitable for most children.

Accommodation

Perhaps the best solution would be for you to stay onsite at the event, there are basic rooms with just beds, heating or the rooms with a private bathroom with shower / toilet (which is better than perhaps having to take the children out to a toilet block in the night)

You do require to bring linen / pillows / blankets.

Also there is an onsite laundry you have access to for doing a little washing of dirty clothes etc..

Yes the town is small but has a lot of various accommodation from pub, B&B's, and caravan parks.

Offsite accommodation
http://www.nelsonvictoria.com.au/direct ... ommodation

Onsite Event Accommodation

Hope that covers all your questions, happy to answer any more if you think of anything.

Thanks
James

Quasar
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: quasar217

Post by Quasar » 12 May 12 10:29 pm

Thanks for the info, I have registered now and looking forward to it.

Also found my old login for this site :D

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 12 May 12 11:05 pm

Quasar wrote:Thanks for the info, I have registered now and looking forward to it.

Also found my old login for this site :D
No problem for the additional info.

Thanks, You should of received an email from me. Appreciate you support.

Accommodation / Registration all ok and received.

Regards
James

toy hunters
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by toy hunters » 20 May 12 12:31 pm

We are planning to come to this event. We have already booked our accommodation nearby. Looking forward to it. Cheers! =D> \:D/ =D>

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 20 May 12 3:25 pm

toy hunters wrote:We are planning to come to this event. We have already booked our accommodation nearby. Looking forward to it. Cheers! =D> \:D/ =D>
Great. It's a beautiful area to visit anytime of year, but we're glad to have you joining the fun. Look forward to meeting everyone.

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 20 May 12 3:29 pm

Just a reminder it is during school holidays so if you're booking accommodation in the area good idea to do ASAP even if you leave the registration side until closer to the event to be sure you get where you'd like to stay.

As judging by the amount of people contacting me places will be filling up quickly. We do have places available onsite at event of coarse.

Thanks
James

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 22 May 12 1:23 pm

A good point was asked.

How do we know the accommodation is still available when we do the online registration?

The online form is live and it updates instantly so once a particular accommodation is full it will update and NOT be selectable
by the next person. So if you don't get the option you want it means SOLD OUT. But you're welcome to contact me to verify if
you wish.

Thanks

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 30 May 12 4:36 pm

We're pleased to announce a MAJOR sponsorship by a GPS company.

So we'll have GPS's to giveaway to lucky teams at the event..

Good luck..