BIG Little Geocaching Event

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
jgc3

Re: BIG Little Geocaching Event

Post by jgc3 » 05 December 12 9:32 am

ian-and-penny wrote:
jgc3 wrote:
The Empire wrote:If this isn't a MEGA event, and I'm staying off site, why do I have to pay $65? What am I getting for my money? Where does my money go? :?
Have a look on the official website, there's a big concert sat and entertainment sunday. Loads of fun at no extra cost for
the kids, face painting, jumping castles etc So is there a discount for teams without kids?.. plus an awesome boating adventure and more all included in your registration
as well as collector path tags, etc in your goodies bag.

And a mega event has nothing to do with whether an event should be a paid event or not. There's 100's of hours of work going into planning and organising this event True, but this is/should be done by volunteers. The organiser should not expect to receive an income!, such as the PA systems, lighting, extra toilets, extra power for onsite campers, temporary fencing
etc..
If the sponsorship is worked out correctly, these should be factored into the equation and be provided for at no cost to the participants.

Cheers
James
extra toilets, extra power for onsite campers, temporary fencing costs for these things should not be passed on to participants that wish to stay off site.
That's a fair enough comment, but if I charged off site campers the true fee of just attending the entertainment and the souvenirs alone in the registration packs the fees should be well above the cost charged. if I took into account the boating cruise that all registered attendees get in the package, it would be even higher. The boat cruise is nearly 3 hrs and $70 for a family or $30 per person. So keeping the fees down and paying a little for everything is the fairest way for all coming, as the event will be well in excess of $10,000 to host.

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 05 December 12 8:57 pm

Hmmm, $10,000 to run the event. Even if that's a ballpark figure, and 250 teams attend that's only $40 per team (excluding camping fees).

With two councils, Magellqan and your magazine kicking in some funds (at say $1,750 each), along with the registration fees, my simple maths tell me there will be a bucket load of cash left over.

As I said in my last post "If the sponsorship is worked out correctly, these (PA systems, lighting, extra toilets, extra power for onsite campers, temporary fencing etc.) should be factored into the equation and be provided for at no cost to the participants."

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 05 December 12 10:29 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:Hmmm, $10,000 to run the event. Even if that's a ballpark figure, and 250 teams attend that's only $40 per team (excluding camping fees).

With two councils, Magellqan and your magazine kicking in some funds (at say $1,750 each), along with the registration fees, my simple maths tell me there will be a bucket load of cash left over.

As I said in my last post "If the sponsorship is worked out correctly, these (PA systems, lighting, extra toilets, extra power for onsite campers, temporary fencing etc.) should be factored into the equation and be provided for at no cost to the participants."
Thanks for the message. We intend to improve with each event. Unfortunately much of what you assume is wrong but I have no doubt people that attend will have a great time with the surprises we have in store.
We just have differing opinions. I have easily spent $65 at a restaurant for an evening meal so a 4 day event is a steal. Bottom line is no one has to come. The beauty of a democracy. Cheers.

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 09 December 12 1:20 pm

Hi all,

For those coming to the event or just in the area, the 50+ new geocaches and munzees are done and ready for you to
hunt... So perhaps download a pocket query before you leave. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks

toy hunters
5000 or more caches found

Post by toy hunters » 09 December 12 1:30 pm

jgc3 wrote:Hi all,

For those coming to the event or just in the area, the 50+ new geocaches and munzees are done and ready for you to
hunt... So perhaps download a pocket query before you leave. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks
Thank you so much for this - keep up the good work. I just want to ask one question though - are the caches that were hidden for the event, going to be archived after the event finishes? We might come back to Nelson one day, so I just want to know if I should get all the caches in one go. Thanks!

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 10 December 12 12:02 pm

toy hunters wrote:
jgc3 wrote:Hi all,

Thanks
Thank you so much for this - keep up the good work. I just want to ask one question though - are the caches that were hidden for the event, going to be archived after the event finishes? We might come back to Nelson one day, so I just want to know if I should get all the caches in one go. Thanks!
Hi,

The caches all will be active after the event and I plan to up keep them, so people have plenty of time to find them. Excluding a bush fire they shouldn't get muggled easily where most of them are, a few high risk ones out in the open.... Hope you enjoy finding them.. we certainly had an adventure putting them out..

Thanks

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 28 December 12 3:22 pm

Here's a zipped gpx file for those that need it for their gps around the event area.

<link removed>

Thanks

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 December 12 3:23 pm

jgc3 wrote:Here's a zipped gpx file for those that need it for their gps around the event area.

<link removed>

Thanks
Sharing GPX files from geocaching.com is against their Terms of Service, so I've removed the link.

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 01 January 13 2:43 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
jgc3 wrote:Here's a zipped gpx file for those that need it for their gps around the event area.

<link removed>

Thanks
Sharing GPX files from geocaching.com is against their Terms of Service, so I've removed the link.
Sorry. Will avoid in the future. Thanks

toy hunters

Post by toy hunters » 01 January 13 3:00 pm

Oh yeah, will there be a pathtag table or trackable/moveable table?

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 01 January 13 3:01 pm

Create a public bookmark showing the same caches and you will not have a problem.

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 03 January 13 12:59 pm

toy hunters wrote:Oh yeah, will there be a pathtag table or trackable/moveable table?
Hi

Nothing official... however it could be organised if theres an interest..

Cheers

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 03 January 13 1:01 pm

Chwiliwr wrote:Create a public bookmark showing the same caches and you will not have a problem.
Thanks..

firesafe

Post by firesafe » 08 January 13 12:19 pm

I have put up some maps of the fires to the east of Nelson on the Event GC page for those attending and wondering where the fire is.

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 11 January 13 12:06 pm

firesafe wrote:I have put up some maps of the fires to the east of Nelson on the Event GC page for those attending and wondering where the fire is.
Thanks, see you at the event.. Cheers