Some BIG caching days ahead?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Re: Some BIG caching days ahead?

Post by quiet1_au » 21 April 12 8:01 am

gmj3191 wrote:We need to have individual records identified separately to team records which would be much easier.
Many hands make light work, or in this case, many eyes find cache quickly.
When a team does these records, am I right in assuming that not all members are present at every cache, that one group would be doing one cache, the other somewhere else doing another? Would each log would be signed as the team, or as all individuals' of the team?

:-$

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 21 April 12 8:15 am

From the logs and forum notes I have been privileged to read regarding these sorts of runs and record attempts, the team is a small group that travels together in one vehicle.
I understand that there is often a designated driver who stays in the vehicle. He or she is part of the team and his or her name is signed at each cache as part of the team.

I have heard of teams comprised of persons who are residing many many miles apart, but I haven't heard of this in long runs or record attempts.

I guess that it is a matter of each playing the game in his or her own way, though, and as far as I know there is no rule against a team dividing and finding caches - some from one end of a run, and some from the other, for example. For fairness and comparison, I would hope that this would be mentioned when claiming a record.

Of course, it could be fun to do a sort of event, where we invent a "Team Mega", for example, and have enough members to each sign a cache in a run, all at the same time. It could be like a flash mob power trail. :-D

rediguana
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by rediguana » 21 April 12 10:49 am

quiet1_au wrote:When a team does these records, am I right in assuming that not all members are present at every cache, that one group would be doing one cache, the other somewhere else doing another? Would each log would be signed as the team, or as all individuals' of the team?
Personally, I don't see a Divide and conquer approach as being in the spirit of a record attempt - and misses out on the best elements of these crazy days, doing it together as a team. All of ours (the Kiwi's) have been one vehicle and all members of the team travelling together, and as many as possible/practical getting close to the cache, and no divide-and-conquer. (As an aside, I still think PBL should claim his finds as driver for our 195 run back in 2007... he was an integral part of our team.)

There are some GCA guidelines:
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Cach ... s_in_a_day

Note from this:
o At least one particular member of The Team should visit every cache,
o This particular team member should actively assist in every cache find.
In both our recent ~250 and ~230 cache days on our way to/from the MEGA, this was me as I did all the logging.

The GCA guidelines don't really support distributed logging, as one member must visit every cache, and this pretty much removes the benefit from dividing. Of course, there is nothing stopping a team taking a divide-and-conquer approach and not telling, but they're only cheating themselves.

Back to the core point, daily records of significance have pretty much flown out the window with powertrails, and it is really about setting your own new Personal Best, or just having a 'solid' days caching, that is a contrasting experience to say a 1 cache hike :)