Downloading cache info onto a Garmin GPS60

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bill BD

Downloading cache info onto a Garmin GPS60

Post by Bill BD » 14 April 12 10:26 am

I have a Garmin GPS60 but only ever used it when hiking to tell me distance travelled... so I am not really proficient with it. Anyhow, I have installed the Apple software and got it communicating with the website. I have downloaded one dataset but I can't find it on my Garmin. This website throws up a "download successful" message (or something similar) but I am stumped on how to find the info on my GPS. Has anyone got a GPS60 and knows where I am going wrong.

BTW, I know its an old GPS but I haven't the spare till to replace it at the moment.... so that is not an option.

Cheers, Bill

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Re: Downloading cache info onto a Garmin GPS60

Post by PesceVerde » 14 April 12 2:30 pm

Hi. Did you download a file (of geocaches) to your computer, or to the GPSr? Don't know much about Macs but it may help if you describe what and how you downloaded, and from which web page/address etc.

If the geocache file/s has transferred *to the GPS60* OK you should find Geocaches listed at Find>Geocache (possibly Find>Waypoints).
Cheers. :)

Bill BD

Post by Bill BD » 14 April 12 2:44 pm

Thanks for that. The download was from this site. The url is http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga4281. I clicked "send to GPS". A little window opened. A message identified that my GPS was found, so I clicked "write". A message appeared saying the information had been transferred BUT it does not appear as a weighpoint or geocache in my GPS when I push the find button. I tried "find by name" but the GPS message is there are no entries. I am vexed.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found

Post by PesceVerde » 14 April 12 3:03 pm

Interesting. Try a few different caches using the same process each time.

Faeries? The same thing happens on my GPSmap60 with cache GA4281 (all looks good but the cache doesn't show up on the GPSr). :?:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 14 April 12 3:09 pm

If someone wants to send us a GPSMap60 we can look at it.

Are you talking about uploading it from the 'Send to GPS' from the caches page or some other way?

Bill BD

Post by Bill BD » 14 April 12 3:40 pm

CraigRat wrote:If someone wants to send us a GPSMap60 we can look at it.

Are you talking about uploading it from the 'Send to GPS' from the caches page or some other way?
Using the "send to gps" from the cache's page. I have managed to download a few by downloading the data onto my computer, opening it in Garmin Basecamp, then exporting it to my GPS. Not bad as I have never done this before. A direct download to the GPS would be better though. I have tried a direct download on a few different caches and even another website. Doesn't work :( .

cheers, Bill

belken

Post by belken » 14 April 12 4:12 pm

There is a limit to the number of waypoints your GPS can hold. When I download my caches. I clear the memory first. Doesn't always have to be the case for you as I am downloading about 500 at atime. We also had a few walk routes stored. We had to save these to the pc to give us more memory. This was on the old garmin 60. We now have a 60cx with a mini sd card so more memory. When we used to download it used to just fill up teh memory and leave what it couldn't fit out There was never as message to say that only partfiles were loaded.

Try deleting at least 1 or 2 existing waypoints that you don't want and the see if it takes the one your sending(ie login and resend to GPS) if so then its an out of memory problem.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found

Post by PesceVerde » 14 April 12 5:45 pm

Bill BD wrote:Thanks for that. The download was from this site. The url is http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga4281. I clicked "send to GPS". A little window opened. A message identified that my GPS was found, so I clicked "write". A message appeared saying the information had been transferred BUT it does not appear as a weighpoint or geocache in my GPS when I push the find button. I tried "find by name" but the GPS message is there are no entries. I am vexed.
I haven't used the GPSmap60 for a while. After downloading the mentioned cache via "Send to GPS" on the cache page, and looking a bit harder, and frowning menacingly at the GPSmap60, the cache icon appeared on the map page, albeit about 3,500 km west of my current position. And also now lists in Find>Geocache>Menu>Find by Name, even. :?:
:gnome

Bill, Have/did you check for cache icons on the GPS60's 'map' page?
Cheers.

Bill BD

Post by Bill BD » 16 April 12 12:22 pm

Thanks PV. Nothing anywhere. Direct downloads are just not working.