Missing moveables.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
nutwood

Missing moveables.

Post by nutwood » 06 April 12 8:41 pm

As a relatively newcomer to caching I'm wondering about previous problems encountered with moveables going missing.
The last four frogs I have hidden in my home territory have gone missing. Two of them were posted as DNF's and when I checked on these, I thought it wise to check the other two. All gone.
The locations were such that it'd be virtually impossible for all these to have been found by chance. One was under rocks, next to a post in the bush.
It's now more than a fortnight since I did the rounds to confirm the absence of these caches and nearly a month since the first DNF. No logs.
Does this happen to moveables? Surely there's limited fun in simply stealing frogs? Could it be there's cachers who simply resent moveables and nail poor innocent amphibians when opportunity presents. Could it be a newcomer who doesn't realise how it works? :-k
Any ideas, this problem must have arisen before?

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Re: Missing moveables.

Post by fluffyfish » 06 April 12 11:20 pm

There seems to be a problem when GCA moveables are placed with gc.com caches. Mostly due to the ignorance of gc.com cachers to GCA and GCA moveables.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 07 April 12 9:57 pm

fluffyfish wrote:There seems to be a problem when GCA moveables are placed with gc.com caches. Mostly due to the ignorance of gc.com cachers to GCA and GCA moveables.
I don't think this was a factor in these cases. One was within a couple of hundred metres of a GC cache but that was simply a geographic coincidence. The hides had no other similarity.
I'm interested to see that there's been virtually no input to this topic. It appears that this isn't as common as I speculated it might be.
Personally, it presents a problem. Throughout the frog race I hid any number of frogs in this area and, apart from some frog blindness incidents, they all hopped happily on their way. Suddenly, four in a row, all gone and nary a log to show for it. I'm currently holding two frogs that need hiding, but they are also frogs I don't want to vanish. Do I simply abandon my local area and wait till I travel far away?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 07 April 12 10:13 pm

How odd!

Given I'm probably the only other person in the vicinity I'll say it's not me :lol:

I wonder if we have a tourist in our midst who hasn't logged them yet?

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 08 April 12 3:41 am

Yes Ive mostly experienced caches going when they are hidden near GC caches... unusual (though not unheard of) for a supposedly well hidden moveable to go missing... but a few in the same area is odd. As CR said, could be an interstate visitor, slow on the logging.

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 08 April 12 9:10 am

fluffyfish wrote:There seems to be a problem when GCA moveables are placed with gc.com caches. Mostly due to the ignorance of gc.com cachers to GCA and GCA moveables.
I got this message yesterday for one of my Swaggies that it creeping around The Netherlands

"We found this travel bug in the cache near the windmills that are on the list of Unesco. Ik am not going to make an account just to log a travel bug on this Australian site.

My not just do it with the geocaching.com? We wiil leave it in another cache.

Greetings from Holland."

I thought about pointing out that it was one of my trackables, they're free, there's more to geocaching that gc.com, that it was an Australian trackable, on an Australian site released on Australia day but.... Well the swaggies are just a bit more work to log than the other kind so they have a point. Many times the extra work seems to mean they "teleport" from cache to cache unseen and unheard...

:-$

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 08 April 12 1:09 pm

quiet1_au wrote:
I got this message yesterday for one of my Swaggies that it creeping around The Netherlands

"We found this travel bug in the cache near the windmills that are on the list of Unesco. Ik am not going to make an account just to log a travel bug on this Australian site.

My not just do it with the geocaching.com? We wiil leave it in another cache.

Greetings from Holland."

I thought about pointing out that it was one of my trackables, they're free, there's more to geocaching that gc.com, that it was an Australian trackable, on an Australian site released on Australia day but.... Well the swaggies are just a bit more work to log than the other kind so they have a point. Many times the extra work seems to mean they "teleport" from cache to cache unseen and unheard...

Actually, I set it up so people can drop and pick up swaggies without setting up a GCA account.

If they are not logged in they get an extra box asking for their username, that's all they have to do extra.

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 08 April 12 6:25 pm

CraigRat wrote: Actually, I set it up so people can drop and pick up swaggies without setting up a GCA account.

If they are not logged in they get an extra box asking for their username, that's all they have to do extra.
=D> \:D/ I stand corrected! It may be too late to remind this particular Dutch cacher, but I'll remember that for next time and see if they will log them. My experience with some users (of many things not just geocaching) is that even if its one extra step or it's a bit different to what they're used it its far too much trouble/too hard for them to bother with... :roll:

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 10 April 12 11:03 pm

CraigRat wrote:How odd!

Given I'm probably the only other person in the vicinity I'll say it's not me :lol:

I wonder if we have a tourist in our midst who hasn't logged them yet?
Of course we didn't think it was you CR. After all they found them. :!: :lol: Seriously though, having spent an entire frog race dropping enticing frogs within a few hundred metres of your door step we are under no illusions as to your available time for frog napping, logged or not.
As for the tourist, well I hope it's true. I'm all in favour of tourists who stay for weeks. If they can't log because they're snowed in at Pelion Hut I'll say no more.