Incoming Solar Storm

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Incoming Solar Storm

Post by Rabbitto » 08 March 12 4:29 pm

Currently it is 4:25pm Melbourne Time - A large geomagnetic storm should arrive at Earth over the next few hours. The storm is rated S3 which is "strong" in the 5 tier scale.
Don't Panic - Should be not too much to worry about from our point of view. This is the NOAA description of an S3 storm -

Biological: radiation hazard avoidance recommended for astronauts on EVA; passengers and crew in commercial jets at high latitudes may receive low-level radiation exposure (approximately 1 chest x-ray).
Satellite operations: single-event upsets, noise in imaging systems, and slight reduction of efficiency in solar panel are likely.
Other systems: degraded HF radio propagation through the polar regions and navigation position errors likely

Three things may be interesting -
1. Does it affect the satellites for geocaching? (most important)
2. Does it effect any other radio / tv / internet transmissions
3. Do you see an aurora? (May be possible - the closer to the poles the better the chance)

I would be interested to see your feedback for these for the next 24 hours

For the geeks - this is a result of the 2nd largest solar flare so far of solar cycle 24 and a direct hit geomagnetic storm on earth is fairly rare - ie most miss. Solarham.com is a wealth of information and links if you wish to learn more.

Picture below - Prediction of Solar Winds at about 9:00pm tonight Melbourne Time. The white is about 900km/s (fast) Earth is the green dot. The other two dots are forward and backward stero satelites that take pictures of the sun.

Clatmandu

Re: Incoming Solar Storm

Post by Clatmandu » 08 March 12 4:41 pm

I had heard on the news here in the states that it could possibly disrupt GPS recievers. Hopefully we will have clear skies and maybe see an aurora.

Rabbitto

Post by Rabbitto » 08 March 12 9:13 pm

9:10pm Melbourne time - disappointingly cloudy. Any luck further west?

Red shows extreme radio interference around poles. (Please note: If you are only looking at this picture in a day or two time, there will most likely be no red on it. It is a live link)

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 08 March 12 9:34 pm

AH...well, that explains my inability yet again, to find "Parliament Station" in Melbourne CBD about 5pm then...nothing to do with my incompetence =D> =D> =D>

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 08 March 12 11:04 pm

Certainly upset the Sri Lankan batsmen somewhat ....

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 09 March 12 6:33 am

Typical - whenever there's the possibility of seeing something interesting in the night sky the clouds move in... I doubt an aurora could be seen in Melbourne, but there was a big geomagnetic storm once that aurora were seen right up to 25 degrees.

I hope the GPS-Sats are affected - I've got my 1000 to get this weekend! [-o<

:-$

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 09 March 12 6:08 pm

It seems to have been a bit of a fizzer. But no problems driving around with the TomTom today.

The auroral prediction oval had the northernmost view well south of Tasmania, but a bit north of Macquarie Island.

budgietas
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by budgietas » 09 March 12 9:18 pm

Would have been a good time to search for bifrost. At least you could blame something other than your own searching skills!!!

:D :D

Richary

Post by Richary » 09 March 12 10:59 pm

Looking at tonight's auroral prediction oval it could be visible from Tasmania or Dunedin tonight.

http://www.ips.gov.au/Geophysical/4/1