Geosportz

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
pwags
1500 or more caches found

Re: Geosportz

Post by pwags » 09 February 12 8:57 pm

quiet1_au wrote:One concern springs to mind re the only logging caches you're not previously found rule. Doesn't that kind of put caching veterans at a disadvantage, against those with fewer finds and therefore more options open to them? I'm not sure that I'm not sure their prior knowledge (if you can remember every find) balances having far fewer caches that might fit the events?
Yes, but a "veteran's" experience is also an advantage, so this levels the playing field quite nicely!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 February 12 8:59 pm

pwags wrote:
quiet1_au wrote:One concern springs to mind re the only logging caches you're not previously found rule. Doesn't that kind of put caching veterans at a disadvantage, against those with fewer finds and therefore more options open to them? I'm not sure that I'm not sure their prior knowledge (if you can remember every find) balances having far fewer caches that might fit the events?
Yes, but a "veteran's" experience is also an advantage, so this levels the playing field quite nicely!
And with new caches coming up so much more frequently than 4 years ago, they should be good to find some if not all amongst the ones they haven't found. Those in the regional areas are probably more disadvantaged that the veterans as there aren't that many caches to start with.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 09 February 12 9:34 pm

And also, there is the "hide" a cache option to complete a particular event for people. Which means there will be new caches to "find" for that particular event for others :D

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 February 12 9:43 pm

There may nor may not be a hide style requirement this time. With so many caches out there, hiding one for a game (unlike moving caches) seems a little wrong nowadays.

Mind you, mine are still there from Geosportz http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc1ggqx and from RDMH http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc13wdp so maybe they're not a bad idea.

pwags

Post by pwags » 09 February 12 9:52 pm

caughtatwork wrote:There may nor may not be a hide style requirement this time. With so many caches out there, hiding one for a game (unlike moving caches) seems a little wrong nowadays.

Mind you, mine are still there from Geosportz http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc1ggqx and from RDMH http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc13wdp so maybe they're not a bad idea.
I'd love to see more GCA caches out there, so can we (please) have a GCA hide option on a few of the events? Seeing this is driven primarily by those active here on GCA, that would only be fair!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 February 12 9:59 pm

As a GCA supporter and (I suppose) being my game, I could make any rule I wanted.

Upthread people didn't want GC vs GCA caches to be different. Mind you that was for finds.

I am a little concerned that a GCA hide would be archived quickly after the game and turned into a GC hide, just for the numbers. Makes me sad, so I'm not sure we want to do that.

We saw evidence of that during the 10 year anniversary. People will do anything in the name of competition.

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 09 February 12 10:17 pm

Marcus Vitruvius wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Maybe the target should indeed be twofold.
1. A point limit to target (without going over).
2. Getting as close to 30 events as you can.
That is going to be tough.
This is my favourite proposal so far...if you want strategy, you would definitely have it using this method.
Also, it wouldn't introduce bias, as the events are usually not physical in nature. There was no swimming event last time, and if you wanted there to be, you might make it simply a cache with 'water' in it's title, or 'swim'.
I agree with Marcus Vitruvius, this sounds good.

I think everyone is starting to get too caught up with who is being disadvantaged and so forth. It's a competition and in any competition there will be well....... competition, that means the fittest, strongest, brainiest .....yeah wins! I know that sounds competitive but hey its a competition. The whole point of the game is to challenge yourself and move outside your comfort zone, and if that involves a swim well then so be it. If you don't swim then yeah its difficult, but you could always be creative and use say a blow up ring or some other flotation, that's half the fun....... it would make some great photos too OR just don't do that task! :D

I wouldn't like to see different levels like in Well Rounded Cacher, that was a different game. The whole idea behind GeosportZ was the fact it was run during the Olympics and we had our own kind of mini Olympics.
I really would like to play it the way it was last time maybe with some tweaking, I'm all for using averages, including all terrain and difficulty ratings and all cache type and sizes and also using a running total.

Please please please can we just play the original game???? [-o<

NB: If you haven't already figured it out, I am competitive by nature, and I know there are others just like me!!!!! :D :shock:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 February 12 10:22 pm

I'm tending on the side of keeping it simple so I am tending to go with the simplest points and things. There will likely not be any "swim", et al, style events. Water things will be watery things. If you want to go swimming in July, that's your choice (thanks SamCarter :-))

gd___
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by gd___ » 09 February 12 10:36 pm

Maybe it should be that you have to complete a set number of the sports and the winner is the team with the X highest number of points. X could be a percentage of the number of teams that complete the required number of sports. (ie if 10 teams finish all required sports the winner is the 4th highest team but if 20 teams finish the winner is the 8th highest team.)

So you need to workout what position you want to finish and how many points you need to get for that spot.

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 09 February 12 10:58 pm

Just thinking out loud.

If you don't post the points system until the end of the event. That way people don't know where they are coming until the end. I think we can trust c@w to impartially set the points system and keep it a secret.

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 09 February 12 11:47 pm

caughtatwork wrote: If you want to go swimming in July, that's your choice (thanks SamCarter :-))
I'm not sure I'd call what I did "swimming": more wallowing on a lilo. (I'm glad it wasn't proper swimming since Ballarat in August is/was just a tad chilly).

At least you had the decency to get your toes wet ...

I think you still need some sort of aquatics event, but having the choice of the way to get wet or be near/on/in water is good.

Besides, I have a kayak now ... :twisted:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 February 12 9:03 am

crew 153 wrote:Just thinking out loud.

If you don't post the points system until the end of the event. That way people don't know where they are coming until the end. I think we can trust c@w to impartially set the points system and keep it a secret.
My preference is to be open and transparent. Sometimes I get too much detail out there, but I'd prefer that you knew what target you were shooting for (pardon the Olympics pun) before the game starts.

I'm thinking of something similar to what we did last time. Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Then prizes for (maybe) 15th, 30th, 45th. So even though you may not be in a position to "win" per se, you have a chance by angling to "win" in a minor category. That keeps the interest of those (like me) who can't possibly achieve the highest, but may still be in with a chance. This may alter the scoring system from points + events to something else. I'll keep thinking and please keep suggesting.

I do recall last time the frenzy just before the game ended with people saving up their last 7 days worth of logs to try and get into a minor winning position. It was quite a hoot to watch. You won't be able to save up ALL of your finds as you will need to log your finds within 7 days of finding it or before the game ends. i.e. You need to commit to some finds as the game progresses so unless you line everything up for the last week, you're going to have to strategise as you go along.

tronador

Post by tronador » 10 February 12 9:14 am

caughtatwork wrote:My preference is to be open and transparent.
I'd prefer that you knew what target you were shooting for (pardon the Olympics pun) before the game starts.

I'm thinking of something similar to what we did last time. Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Then prizes for (maybe) 15th, 30th, 45th. So even though you may not be in a position to "win" per se, you have a chance by angling to "win" in a minor category.
Yes agree! :D

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 10 February 12 11:32 am

tronador wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:My preference is to be open and transparent.
I'd prefer that you knew what target you were shooting for (pardon the Olympics pun) before the game starts.

I'm thinking of something similar to what we did last time. Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Then prizes for (maybe) 15th, 30th, 45th. So even though you may not be in a position to "win" per se, you have a chance by angling to "win" in a minor category.
Yes agree! :D
+1 Yes it was fun watching the jockeying for the minor placings on the last day :D

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 11 February 12 7:12 am

Argh! Too much mental gymnastic involved in all that strategic stuff! #-o I'll stick with KISS, find (or hide) as many caches as I can and just hope for the best!... [-o<

:-$