GCA in same area as GC?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
gajinoz
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

GCA in same area as GC?

Post by gajinoz » 01 February 12 12:56 pm

I've noticed that, within 50 Km radius of my place there are around 80 GC caches, give or take, but no GCA caches unless you count the one at about 57 Km.

My question is; does it matter if I put a few GCA caches in similar, (but not the same), locations as the GC ones. I know what the rules are for separation of GC caches and I don't intend to put them close together but what do others feel about a GCA cache less than, say, a kilometre from a GC one?

Just trying to get a feel for what people think about this issue.

caughtatwork

Re: GCA in same area as GC?

Post by caughtatwork » 01 February 12 1:09 pm

Officially, there is no proximity requirement between cache listing sites. i.e. You can place a GCA cache near an existing GC cache. You can place a GC cache near an existing GCA cache.

IMHO, don't place them too close (100m at least). Think about why you would like to attract people to the area. Place accordingly. Avoid placing just for the numbers. Avoid confusion if someone finds the GC cache and thinks it's the GCA or vice versa.

gajinoz
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by gajinoz » 01 February 12 1:20 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Officially, there is no proximity requirement between cache listing sites. i.e. You can place a GCA cache near an existing GC cache. You can place a GC cache near an existing GCA cache.

IMHO, don't place them too close (100m at least). Think about why you would like to attract people to the area. Place accordingly. Avoid placing just for the numbers. Avoid confusion if someone finds the GC cache and thinks it's the GCA or vice versa.
I've already identified a few places to put them that might be of interest to people for different reasons, I'm not really interested in putting out dozens of them at random just for the hell of it.

Good idea about identifying them though, I'll leave a note in the GCA ones to let people know what they are.

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 01 February 12 2:22 pm

The other thing to consider is that GCA allow "Virtual" cache types, whereas GC no longer do.

This means that if you are trying to attract people from a different audience to a point of interest where there is already a GC cache, then consider the virtual option for the GCA. That way there aren't two container close together. I did one of these yesterday, where the same location is used for both and on the weekend just gone, I did a couple of trig point caches which share the same GZ area with GC caches. I even own one like that :)

Others may not like the idea, but I have no problem with it at all.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 01 February 12 3:30 pm

If you've got something genuinely interesting to highlight, then by all means put a cache there, be it on GC or GCA.

Of course, if it's the same thing that's already had a cache dedicated to it, then it's pointless to do it again.

As far as close proximity to existing caches, I see two issues. One is the confusion between boxes, of course. The other is that how different can the experience of finding your cache be if it's only a stone's throw away from another cache?

(Donning my GC reviewer cap for a second: there probably are situations where you can get a very different cache only 100m from an existing one. One of the reasons they won't get published on GC, though, is that we're not going to decide just exactly HOW special the second cache needs to be to get that guideline ignored!)

gajinoz
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by gajinoz » 01 February 12 5:41 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:If you've got something genuinely interesting to highlight, then by all means put a cache there, be it on GC or GCA.

Of course, if it's the same thing that's already had a cache dedicated to it, then it's pointless to do it again.

As far as close proximity to existing caches, I see two issues. One is the confusion between boxes, of course. The other is that how different can the experience of finding your cache be if it's only a stone's throw away from another cache?

(Donning my GC reviewer cap for a second: there probably are situations where you can get a very different cache only 100m from an existing one. One of the reasons they won't get published on GC, though, is that we're not going to decide just exactly HOW special the second cache needs to be to get that guideline ignored!)
I wasn't really thinking of putting one right beside an existing one, more like a kilometre or so down the road at least, and only then if I thought there is a reason to do so.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 01 February 12 6:43 pm

gajinoz wrote: I wasn't really thinking of putting one right beside an existing one, more like a kilometre or so down the road at least, and only then if I thought there is a reason to do so.
That's all good. GC caches in no way have 'priority' for a spot either, no matter what some people think, place where you see fit (if appropriate for a cache of course)!

ruralslicker
Location: Churchill Vic 3842 (Latrobe Valley) 160 km east of Melbourne

Post by ruralslicker » 02 February 12 11:00 am

Papa Bear_Left wrote: Of course, if it's the same thing that's already had a cache dedicated to it, then it's pointless to do it again.
There’s a classic example of this near where I live:

GC31BR2 "Count Paul Strzelecki"

GA3291 "Pawel Edmund Strzelecki"

Similar cache names, similar cache descriptions and both containers just metres apart :shock:

musta9

Post by musta9 » 03 February 12 3:54 pm

thers a gc cache that is gc and gca. its called combarton cache in box hill victoria

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 05 February 12 6:02 am

musta9 wrote:thers a gc cache that is gc and gca. its called combarton cache in box hill victoria
While this is possible (it is called "Cross-Listing") it is generally discouraged. It creates confusion and can throw off stats. Some people dont mind but a lot of people (myself included :P) really dislike Cross-Listed caches. ;)

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 05 February 12 6:44 am

The people who run the site are not keen on cross listing too, which is why we discourage it on the listing page.

Some other site encourage the practice, but we prefer to live and die by our own numbers alone.

ikkibrady

Post by ikkibrady » 05 February 12 12:13 pm

I myself have placed and have another gca planned that are within 100m (as the crow flys) away from a gc cache but offer a completely different experience and I think that's perfectly acceptable. If your creating a similar cache to that one that already exists change it up a bit.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 05 February 12 5:07 pm

How about two GCA caches side by side? (nothing stopping that by the way)

I've spotted this pair of GCA caches that have never been found up on Mt Kaputar near Narrabri.
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga1164
and
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga1165

It looks like the hider just hit publish twice or something. Can't see how it happened really but that's life.

I have been itching to go and find 'these' since I first spotted them just because I used to live in Narrabri and visited this mountain a lot to escape the heat of summer.

Smergol

Post by Smergol » 10 August 13 2:27 pm

I have had a cache listed on the GCA site since the 7th of Nov 2012 – Billy Goats Gruff # 10, now a GC cache (“Trolls off the Rails”) has been placed 2 meters from mine. I get very few people logging the caches down this way, and now I have had one accidental finder looking for the GC cache also logging mine. She also logged a few more along the Rail Trail – so there is some spin-off.

2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by 2max » 10 August 13 7:05 pm

ruralslicker wrote:
Papa Bear_Left wrote: Of course, if it's the same thing that's already had a cache dedicated to it, then it's pointless to do it again.
There’s a classic example of this near where I live:

GC31BR2 "Count Paul Strzelecki"

GA3291 "Pawel Edmund Strzelecki"

Similar cache names, similar cache descriptions and both containers just metres apart :shock:
That's kinda near where we live too, which means you must live close by! *waves* Yep, MADSTARS have archived the GC one now. Looks like the GC one was muggled back in early June but after it was disabled 3 more cachers went and 'found' it... they obviously didn't realise what they were finding was the GCA cache and all 3 described the GCA hiding spot in their GC logs. One of them even suggesting the cache should be 'put back' which would then result in a missing GCA cache... #-o From memory, I think the hiding spots were maybe only 2 metres apart.