Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Should I delete the offending log

Poll ended at 08 February 12 10:14 am

Yes
66
89%
No
8
11%
 
Total votes: 74

User avatar
Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Posts: 681
Joined: 21 September 10 4:20 pm
Twitter: bronnie1990
Location: Tuggeranong, Canberra.

Re: Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 04 February 12 11:59 pm

Seriously? That's just.... ](*,) (i think thats the appropriate smiley?)

I heard about panic, and his fiascos (more to the point, i was once reading about some of his caches..)
If it turns out to be him, that's just...crazy?

rinsemesocks
Posts: 73
Joined: 04 December 10 10:30 am
Location: sydney

Re: Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by rinsemesocks » 05 February 12 11:24 pm

You mean, you would prefer to disable your cache, go to your cache, retrieve the log, read through the logs, compare them to the online versions, email the poster, wait, delete the offending online logs, bring the log back, reenable it, rather go out and find unfound geocaches. I had one "found" disallowed by the CO because they couldn't find the log entry. They suggested names from the log book that weren't recorded online. I'm not flying interstate to find it again, and if the CO really doesn't want me to log it, so what.

User avatar
MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found
Posts: 875
Joined: 12 May 09 5:50 pm
Location: Seaton, Adelaide
Contact:

Re: Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by MtnLioness » 05 February 12 11:29 pm

rinsemesocks wrote:You mean, you would prefer to disable your cache, go to your cache, retrieve the log, read through the logs, compare them to the online versions, email the poster, wait, .....
I know someone who did this and informed me of a find on his cache, I had completely forgotten about it and thanked him very much for doing so! :-"

User avatar
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1200
Joined: 10 July 09 12:29 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by noikmeister » 06 February 12 6:32 am

every cache gets maintained from time to time and that is the time to reconcile the log book with the online log. I can abide most things in geocaching, but the one thing that is seriously not cool is claiming a find that you didn't make. I've even informed on people because I couldn't see the name of the last finder in the book.

User avatar
ruralslicker
Posts: 37
Joined: 25 July 09 11:31 am
Location: Churchill Vic 3842 (Latrobe Valley) 160 km east of Melbourne

Re: Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by ruralslicker » 06 February 12 8:50 am

noikmeister wrote:..... the one thing that is seriously not cool is claiming a find that you didn't make. I've even informed on people because I couldn't see the name of the last finder in the book.
I became aware of a cache recently where this occurred (log book not signed). The online log claiming a find was deleted not long after the discrepancy was pointed out. The problem is I'll always wonder how really accurate the Stats are of that particular geocacher.

juc_cacher
Posts: 129
Joined: 01 January 10 10:23 pm
Location: Jan Juc
Contact:

Re: Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by juc_cacher » 06 February 12 11:56 am

ruralslicker wrote:
noikmeister wrote:..... the one thing that is seriously not cool is claiming a find that you didn't make. I've even informed on people because I couldn't see the name of the last finder in the book.
I became aware of a cache recently where this occurred (log book not signed). The online log claiming a find was deleted not long after the discrepancy was pointed out. The problem is I'll always wonder how really accurate the Stats are of that particular geocacher.
I really don't understand why you'd bother to claim finds you didn't actually make. What possible enjoyment or kudos could you get looking at your stats and knowing they were false ?

As a CO, I'm interested in the number of people who find the caches I have hidden, but if people want to take the time to make false logs, it doesn't make much difference to me really.

But I guess there are all sorts in the world. :roll:

Tuena
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Posts: 527
Joined: 17 November 06 11:38 am

Re: Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by Tuena » 06 February 12 6:22 pm

noikmeister wrote:I've even informed on people because I couldn't see the name of the last finder in the book.
I sometimes sign my name on the first bit of spare space I find rather than leaf through the logbook to the last entry. This could prove unfortunate if you are then the finder after me.

I doubt that my signing in a spare spot would be unique so to be fair you should make a list of all finders for every cache you find & then check this against the on-line logs before you become an informant.

User avatar
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1200
Joined: 10 July 09 12:29 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by noikmeister » 06 February 12 6:44 pm

Tuena wrote:
noikmeister wrote:I've even informed on people because I couldn't see the name of the last finder in the book.
I sometimes sign my name on the first bit of spare space I find rather than leaf through the logbook to the last entry. This could prove unfortunate if you are then the finder after me.

I doubt that my signing in a spare spot would be unique so to be fair you should make a list of all finders for every cache you find & then check this against the on-line logs before you become an informant.
The time I did it, it was on a puzzle and it was pretty apparent that he hadn't signed because there were so few finders. On popular traditionals I would have no idea who the most previous finder was unless I go log diving.

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found
Posts: 476
Joined: 30 July 08 11:47 am
Location: VIC

Re: Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by covert » 06 February 12 7:35 pm

Tuena wrote:
I sometimes sign my name on the first bit of spare space I find rather than leaf through the logbook to the last entry. This could prove unfortunate if you are then the finder after me.

I do that to....a lot..

rinsemesocks
Posts: 73
Joined: 04 December 10 10:30 am
Location: sydney

Re: Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by rinsemesocks » 06 February 12 10:53 pm

The problem is I'll always wonder how really accurate the Stats are of that particular geocacher.
Does it really matter if their stats are out by claiming false finds. It's only a game, there is no ranking table, and we are all volunteers (if you are being paid, I want to know how to get my share). And you are probably doing a public service in boosting their self esteem by letting them feel better about themselves!

And by the way, some of the big names in caching do it. I had one that was disabled because half the cache was destroyed, but the cacher still claimed it even though there was no logsheet, and proudly noted it in their online log. Ha.

User avatar
tronador
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1547
Joined: 04 November 05 10:18 pm
Location: Lidcombe,Sydney, NSW

Re: Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by tronador » 06 February 12 11:10 pm

Bronnie_1990 wrote:
noikmeister wrote: He also threatened to refer me to the police.
I would really love to know how this would work out in real life..

"Hello, police? Someone's asking me why i didnt sign a notepad inside a container, out in Namadgi! Hello? Where did you go? Did you hang up on me? Oh man"
Too funny! =D> =D>
Seems like there is one of these here too. Member since 2009 25 finds but also refused to sign log.
http://coord.info/GC100MA

Oh and rude replies will get your log deleted :D . Delete the log.

User avatar
Richary
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Posts: 4160
Joined: 04 February 04 10:55 pm
Location: Waitara, Sydney

Re: Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by Richary » 06 February 12 11:14 pm

The couple of mine I have actually bothered to check had more logs in the book than online. Personally I find that a bit annoying as I want to read about the experience people had finding the cache. A slightly separate issue but if for whatever reason they can't be bothered claiming the smiley then that's up to them.

Whether I could be bothered checking a logbook against an online find to verify someone has actually been there is doubtful unless I have the cache in for maintenance for another reason. If people want to claim finds they haven't found, good on them. I'm not in a race with anyone for numbers so I don't really care. It's better than the plague of moveables with published codes that was around a few years ago, where people would move them across the planet in the space of a few minutes.

User avatar
mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 823
Joined: 28 November 03 10:49 am
Location: Canberra, ACT

Re: Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by mtbikeroz » 07 February 12 5:27 pm

tronador wrote:
Bronnie_1990 wrote:
noikmeister wrote: He also threatened to refer me to the police.
I would really love to know how this would work out in real life..

"Hello, police? Someone's asking me why i didnt sign a notepad inside a container, out in Namadgi! Hello? Where did you go? Did you hang up on me? Oh man"
Too funny! =D> =D>
Seems like there is one of these here too. Member since 2009 25 finds but also refused to sign log.
http://coord.info/GC100MA

Oh and rude replies will get your log deleted :D . Delete the log.

Police??? That's not as silly as it sounds!

This particular cacher (I mentioned his name earlier) has attempted something similar back in the early days when his alter ego, mythical girlfriend or whoever "she"was, geobabe was allegedly trashing his caches. All part of the ïnteresting ACT history with him.

For the record, I have deliberately NOT mentioned his current caching name, nor the particular 4 caches he logged/did not sign in the ACT in Jan. The 4 of us CO's are aware, we have been discussing this amongst ourselves with more detail than you see in this forum.

rinsemesocks
Posts: 73
Joined: 04 December 10 10:30 am
Location: sydney

Re: Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by rinsemesocks » 08 February 12 7:43 pm

If the logbook was missing, or full (and assuming you don't have a replacement log or piece of paper), would you claim the find.

User avatar
mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 823
Joined: 28 November 03 10:49 am
Location: Canberra, ACT

Re: Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by mtbikeroz » 08 February 12 7:47 pm

Yes, I would take a picture of the cache! And depending on the hide, whether it was a mere box or cleverly hidden, I would post the pic with the log for the former, and send the pic to the CO for the latter. I have even written several times on the cache container - along with others!

But that is not the issue here, to quote from one of his logs "" ....Nice view. Took nothing, left nothing and did not sign the log.""

Locked