My cache got muggled. Woe is me.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
chillibutts

My cache got muggled. Woe is me.

Post by chillibutts » 19 December 11 10:27 pm

Denial (this isn't happening to me!)
Anger (why is this happening to me?)
Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)
Depression (I don't care anymore)
Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes)

Having at first denied the fact that the cache was missing (and visiting GZ twice in a two hours time span) I have readily moved through the other 4 stages to have accepted the loss of this cache. In the process of grieving, I found that compilation of the attached graph, and reading all the crazy cacher-names in the logs, particularly therapeutic.

10 months and 113 finds. I think it should continue. A new container has been acquired. :D

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Re: My cache got muggled. Woe is me.

Post by Yurt » 19 December 11 11:11 pm

First time huh?

It's the most difficult one...

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Theory of Muggled Caches

Post by pjmpjm » 19 December 11 11:47 pm

Apart from those rare, isolated bush hides mentioned by Yurt, I've heard that there are only two types of caches: those that have been muggled and those that will be muggled.

That said, I haven't enjoyed the experience when it's happened to me . . . My commiserations . . . :(

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 20 December 11 12:03 am

I've been pretty lucky really with muggling. One in Adelaide (stuck in the middle of a bright orange memorial, in the middle of a 6 lane highway, spotlit at night) went missing a couple of times, but I expected that. I've also lost one to Parks locking off the access track, a 20km return walk from the nearest 4WD track is probably not going to get that many visitors (though it was open when placed and we camped there).

None of the ones I am proud of have disappeared, and some I have placed I am surprised haven't been muggled.

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by mundoo » 21 December 11 11:35 am

Richary wrote:None of the ones I am proud of have disappeared
The one I put the most effort into (took me 6 months to put all the elements in place), spent the most money on a special container ($18) and was the most proud of and received brilliant reviews was muggled, including the invisible magnet that you had to scrape off with a knife.

I have to admit I am still at the anger stage with it as I suspect it was a geocacher. Another cache (GCA) I had in the same street that had been in situ for several years as well got muggled at the same time.

The Tardis Trio
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found
Twitter: dpeters101

Post by The Tardis Trio » 21 December 11 9:11 pm

:( :( :(

For the non South Australians, the cache of chillibutts that has gone missing was an iconic cache, something the locals would show visiting cachers. It's accrued 47 favourite points since Feb (a 54% ratio of premium members). http://coord.info/GC2KXT9

There will be something not-quite-right in Adelaide until this cache is restored to its former glory.

chillibutts

Post by chillibutts » 23 December 11 5:05 pm

Thanks Mr Tardis ... I was thinking about moving it slightly to a more modern (albeit exposed) structure, but got the "one finger'd salute" 8-[

:D :D