Ever shrinking cache containers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
caughtatwork

Re: Ever shrinking cache containers

Post by caughtatwork » 20 December 11 8:22 am

September 2010 was the Burke and Wills cache series release.

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 20 December 11 8:29 am

blossom* wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Cache size is a sad situation.
http://geocaching.com.au/stats/graphs/a ... ze_percent
75% of caches hidden nowadays are small or micro. :cry:

Maybe we need "Hide an Ammo Can" day / month?
Yes, not a bad concept for some future project. But not ammo cans necessarily, just 1 litre capacity or bigger [-o<
I actually do like the approach of the ammo can: There is no way this gets watered down: Either it is an ammo can or it is not =D>

What about the 25th every month? We could even make it a competition like "best painted standard can wins".

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 December 11 8:56 am

I have a stack of 12 in the shed, so I'd be set up for a year at one a month. Although I don't think I could find a nice place for 1 a month. As PBL keeps on suggesting, don't hide a cache because you can, hide one because there's a reason (or something like that).

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 20 December 11 9:02 am

I was thinking with the 29th of February coming up, it being a special day an' all, we need something to mark the day.
Of course those of us without a find on that day will be making sure we grab one but it might be fun to have something else to do then. Maybe "hide an ammo can" is it? Or something to get us over the post-frog blues that will inevitably have set in by then! :frogette :frog

Whaddya reckon?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 December 11 9:22 am

The 29th will definitely be on peoples "find a cache" list as they will want to complete their "find a cache on every day of the year" charts. So I suppose if there were a huge influx of ammo cans hidden and published on the 29th of February, it would give people a huge kick in trying to find one.

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 20 December 11 9:24 am

caughtatwork wrote:The 29th will definitely be on peoples "find a cache" list as they will want to complete their "find a cache on every day of the year" charts.
We'll (ICC) be running a special event in Wollongong just for the occasion. There was even some talk of it being held at 2:29am :shock: :?

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 20 December 11 10:46 am

caughtatwork wrote: As PBL keeps on suggesting, don't hide a cache because you can, hide one because there's a reason (or something like that).
"When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot." – briansnat

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 20 December 11 11:27 am

Big Matt and Shell wrote:
caughtatwork wrote: As PBL keeps on suggesting, don't hide a cache because you can, hide one because there's a reason (or something like that).
"When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot." – briansnat
I thought it was to recycle used mint tins... :-k

ving

Post by ving » 20 December 11 1:45 pm

Yurt wrote: There are some very inventive micros which I've enjoyed almost as much as any cache but there is a preponderance of mint tins, bisons and rivets. I don't mind a well placed bison, a well camoed mint tin in the right spot (with a proper sized ziplock inside) can be good too. I'm pretty much over the rivets though.
whats a rivet cache? anyone got a photo of one?

totalube
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by totalube » 20 December 11 2:41 pm

Hoojar wrote:So how long until someone hides a picocache?!
Pico;

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc16b8e

Femto;

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc199ya

Unfortunately both are archived.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 20 December 11 4:34 pm

ving wrote:
Yurt wrote: There are some very inventive micros which I've enjoyed almost as much as any cache but there is a preponderance of mint tins, bisons and rivets. I don't mind a well placed bison, a well camoed mint tin in the right spot (with a proper sized ziplock inside) can be good too. I'm pretty much over the rivets though.
Ah... a pleasure awaits you! I don't want to spoil it for you though. :mrgreen:

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 22 December 11 2:52 pm

ving wrote:
I reckon they must be like a bolt cache container only samller, the size of a rivet :evil:

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Rosie the Rivet (Cache)

Post by pjmpjm » 22 December 11 3:01 pm

Pesky! wrote: whatever they are, someone has made a musical about them!...they must be impressive.
In point of fact, I did release a number of what could have been called 'Rivet Frogs' (athough I named them 'Micro Frogs' because of their overall size) and I missed a good chance to make all kinds of silly puns on 'Rivet Ribit' and so forth . . . :frogette :frog

Yurt

Re: Rosie the Rivet (Cache)

Post by Yurt » 22 December 11 6:11 pm

pjmpjm wrote:
Pesky! wrote: whatever they are, someone has made a musical about them!...they must be impressive.
In point of fact, I did release a number of what could have been called 'Rivet Frogs' (athough I named them 'Micro Frogs' because of their overall size) and I missed a good chance to make all kinds of silly puns on 'Rivet Ribit' and so forth . . . :frogette :frog
I'm surprised no one has taken Riblit with them and hidden a frog near Ribet (http://coord.info/GCHVH1)