Accurate UTM Coords

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Richary
8000 or more caches found

Accurate UTM Coords

Post by Richary » 07 December 11 9:56 pm

I was sent some coordinates in UTM format by a regional council today that wants a link between 2 sites. The amazing thing is that each coordinate had a decimal point with 8 numbers after it. If I read things correctly that gives an accuracy to 1 millionth of a centimetre.

Water Treatment plant – X: 674096.26376426 Y: 6335966.34546211

I'm guessing they didn't get those results using GPS - if they did I want one!

And yes they did give me the zone, but I won't include that or you will know where I am talking about which might be considered commercial in confidence.

ST_7
300 or more found
300 or more found

Re: Accurate UTM Coords

Post by ST_7 » 08 December 11 1:25 am

And yes they did give me the zone, but I won't include that or you will know where I am talking about which might be considered commercial in confidence.
That sounds like a challenge.

Well, I accept your challenge and all I will say is: make sure you get a good photo of the trig on the roof. \:D/
Last edited by ST_7 on 08 December 11 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 08 December 11 2:32 pm

Delta-squad wrote:
That sounds like a challenge.

Well, I accept your challenge and I all will say is: make sure you get a good photo of the trig on the roof. \:D/
Given that richary travels to every state in AUS, I think he's left it pretty confidential. except for addicts :lol:

Kerry

Post by Kerry » 09 December 11 4:34 pm

GPS results? nah would have come from some inexperienced CAD user, calculator syndrome, all those decimals have to be more accurate (looking).

Would be interesting to know with all that precision (not accuracy) did they bother to include the datum?

Anyway there is only 2 places in oz that site could exist, so 50/50 chance :)

Richary

Post by Richary » 09 December 11 6:58 pm

Yes they did send the datum. But the person who sent them has the job title IT Trainee which could explain the inexperience ](*,)