Frog Blindness Support Group

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

New Froggie Information Graph

Post by pjmpjm » 12 December 11 12:19 pm

caughtatwork wrote: To save you the trouble of counting these each time you're interested, there's a new graph on the ladder showing this and other informations.
Much appreciated.

There sure are lots of Leap Frogs to keep track of . . . :frogette :frog

pjmpjm

Re: Micro Frog Support Group

Post by pjmpjm » 12 December 11 12:25 pm

Yurt wrote:One thing that's a plague this year that we didn't have with gnomes is micro frogs! :frog :frogette
The last two tiny 'Bison Frogs' hopped off yesterday, so there will be no more of the little ones from yours truly.

Tried to assist rogerw3 in picking up one of the largest yesterday -- Grahame & Kenneth plus Kenneth & Grahame -- but it had gone missing from its Leura park. And as of early Monday afternoon no find has yet been logged! This is the problem, I guess, for frogs on the other side of the size scale.

Then, further off down the GWH, rogerw3 finally spotted a tiny amphibian clinging to the back of a street sign by his tiny magnet!

DG Tas
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Re: Frog Blindness Support Group

Post by DG Tas » 12 December 11 1:03 pm

Loving these frogs..but......in this day and age of smart phones....can people please log a find ASAP?? Even if it is just one word, and update with a further story later. I do it within a few minutes of picking up as I know how frustrating it is. I know some will say that is part of the fun, sure, sure I dont mind sometimes either when I have the time but......when I have spare time on my lunchbreak and want to dash out and drive 15 min to GZ, search for about another 15 before the trip back, only to return and find that somebody had picked it up on the way to work and logged at lunchtime. :frogette It would not worry me at all if I had got there 30mins after a find, now thats ok :D

Not Growling, just venting after a wasted lunch time! ](*,)

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 12 December 11 4:13 pm

DG Tas wrote:Loving these frogs..but......in this day and age of smart phones....can people please log a find ASAP?? Even if it is just one word, and update with a further story later. I do it within a few minutes of picking up as I know how frustrating it is. I know some will say that is part of the fun, sure, sure I dont mind sometimes either when I have the time but......when I have spare time on my lunchbreak and want to dash out and drive 15 min to GZ, search for about another 15 before the trip back, only to return and find that somebody had picked it up on the way to work and logged at lunchtime. :frogette It would not worry me at all if I had got there 30mins after a find, now thats ok :D

Thats assuming all finders have a smart phone. I do and do log ASAP but I'm aware of at least 5 cachers down here who are actively frogging but don't have that technology

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 12 December 11 5:03 pm

If your smartphone is with Optus you'd probably be home by the time the page loaded.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 12 December 11 6:26 pm

Yurt wrote:If your smartphone is with Optus you'd probably be home by the time the page loaded.
Well, I definitely won;t get one of those if I ever think of getting an iphone :o

pjmpjm

Re: iPhone Blindness Support Frog

Post by pjmpjm » 12 December 11 7:22 pm

Yurt wrote:If your smartphone is with Optus you'd probably be home by the time the page loaded.
If your smartphone is with VodaPhone, you probably won't get a signal at all . . .

Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Post by Dvixen » 12 December 11 7:43 pm

Same with Virgin - but it's on the Optus backbone, so...

I was at a shopping district in Newcastle (three actually) and couldn't get a signal. I don't often have data on my phone, and had activated it just for that trip - I was pretty pissed that I couldn't get ANY signal - even in Sydney on the way home.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 12 December 11 9:43 pm

DG Tas wrote:Loving these frogs..but......in this day and age of smart phones....can people please log a find ASAP?? Even if it is just one word, and update with a further story later. I do it within a few minutes of picking up as I know how frustrating it is. I know some will say that is part of the fun, sure, sure I dont mind sometimes either when I have the time but......when I have spare time on my lunchbreak and want to dash out and drive 15 min to GZ, search for about another 15 before the trip back, only to return and find that somebody had picked it up on the way to work and logged at lunchtime. :frogette It would not worry me at all if I had got there 30mins after a find, now thats ok :D

Interesting point that I soul search over quite a bit. I've an old N95. If I've got an email linking to the frog I manage to log it but to search it out and log it is just too hard. So, if the frog you're looking at is likely to be sought after, should you collect it now or later in the day as you know you won't be logging for several hours?
On the other side of the coin, when you search for a frog, how much time do you spend when there's every chance someone collected it hours before? I recently walked twenty minutes along a beach to collect two frogs, then couldn't find either of them. Aaargh. Careful consideration of GZ at two locations convinced me that no-one had searched before and a frog, followed by a second, resulted. It would have been very easy to have given up and if the start of the beach had been close to home I probably would have.
Is this the true cause of Frog Blindess; the feeling at the back of the mind that the frog you are searching for is happily motoring down a distant highway?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 December 11 10:03 pm

I've been blindsided 5 times so far.
http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/caughtatwork/dnf
1 of which was actual frog blindness and 4 were people who beat me to the frog.
I reckon s_mc500 and themd hide at the end of the street and when they see me come along, they jump out, grab the frog and watch, laughing from their car.
Curse you s_mc500 and themd :-"

chillibutts

Post by chillibutts » 12 December 11 10:39 pm

I think the Darwin caching community are frog-blind ... or oblivious! I have sent some emails out to try and get the 2 frogs moving... but nothing so far :frogette :( :frog

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 12 December 11 10:47 pm

There and Brisbane are pretty well dead zones.

Must be the heat, it sucks all the fun out of people :lol:

chillibutts

Post by chillibutts » 12 December 11 10:54 pm

I dropped a stack of gnomes in Ipswich last year ... they had a lengthy holiday there! :gnome :gnomette oops :stabby

Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Twitter: bronnie1990

Re: iPhone Blindness Support Frog

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 12 December 11 10:56 pm

pjmpjm wrote:
If your smartphone is with VodaPhone, you probably won't get a signal at all . . .

This.

(really, i spent at least twenty minutes waiting for a frog page to load (which also included turning the phone off and on again to see if that worked)...to find out that yes i was beaten to a frog :S)

In other news, Wagga Wagga cachers? Are you out there? Will you save my frogs? Three of mine still are needing FTF's! (and one ended up being muggled? before being found! Grr!)

s_mc500
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by s_mc500 » 13 December 11 8:49 am

caughtatwork wrote:I've been blindsided 5 times so far.
http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/caughtatwork/dnf
1 of which was actual frog blindness and 4 were people who beat me to the frog.
I reckon s_mc500 and themd hide at the end of the street and when they see me come along, they jump out, grab the frog and watch, laughing from their car.
Curse you s_mc500 and themd :-"
Maybe, but I don't have a car...

At least there's 3 fairly active frog hunters in the area, I can see if there were only two then could be long waits for another move.