Frog Blindness Support Group

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Frog Blindness Support Group

Post by CraigRat » 04 December 11 3:50 pm

Tell you what, these frogs are harder to find than I thought!

Share your tales of woe here!

I had one turn up 400m from my house and 3 visits later could not find it, but then today it got pounced on by Tassie Trekkers and they found it really quickly :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Anything smaller than a lunchbox seems to be kryptonite to me!

GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found

Re: Frog Blindness Support Group

Post by GJMMelb » 04 December 11 11:18 pm

CraigRat wrote:Tell you what, these frogs are harder to find than I thought!

Share your tales of woe here!

I had one turn up 400m from my house and 3 visits later could not find it, but then today it got pounced on by Tassie Trekkers and they found it really quickly :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Anything smaller than a lunchbox seems to be kryptonite to me!
We couldnt locate "Ben" ..... http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga3649

We didnt have much time but still ....... he's a "LARGE" so you'd think we'd find him :oops: lol
GJMMelb

The Empire

Post by The Empire » 04 December 11 11:22 pm

I'm having trouble telling them apart! It seems that most people got their frogs from the same sort of place and after a big frog hunt, I had a few sets of twins in the boot! ](*,) I had to check all the GA numbers twice before hiding them, and I still mucked it all up :stabby :stabby

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 04 December 11 11:30 pm

There is a frog in Lismore GA3731 - In the Night Garden. His party trick is that he glows in the dark, although we were seeking during the day. We thought we'd made a reasonable search of GZ but were worried that he might have been muggled in between being moved here and our searching so we posted a DNF.

Renroc, who moved him, to this spot checked later that evening and sent me a message with images of a glowing frog and his hiding place - just the other side of the bush where we were looking.

So CraigRat.. I feel your pain.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 December 11 8:32 am

We picked up about a dozen down at Avalon on Friday night. As we were driving home, we logged "all of the froggies at Avalon". i.e. As we knew we'd picked them all up we just logged a found against them all. Come Saturday morning and I'm counting the frogs and gathering the GA codes to make sure I don't hide the wrong doppelganger in the wrong place and I come up one short. I checked everywhere, in the boot, in the car, in the computer room, downstairs, upstairs. Oh, oh. Did I drop it off? Did I lose it? What have I done?

We eventually drove back to Avalon and checked each of the hiding places again and ... tada, we missed one. We think the co-ords for Avalon were added after we'd been there but before we started logging. So, phew, we picked him up and the count was right again.

I was almost frog blind.

I've been having all sorts of problems with doppelgangers and simply knowing which frog is which. We've taken to making very clear notes on names and codes before we log them as found and drop them off now.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 05 December 11 8:41 am

caughtatwork wrote:I've been having all sorts of problems with doppelgangers and simply knowing which frog is which. We've taken to making very clear notes on names and codes before we log them as found and drop them off now.
Next cache race we need to have QR codes stuck on em

(I've got the libraries, playing with something right now)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 December 11 9:07 am

What on Gods Green Earth makes you think I'm entertaining this madness again next year?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 05 December 11 9:34 am

CraigRat wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:I've been having all sorts of problems with doppelgangers and simply knowing which frog is which. We've taken to making very clear notes on names and codes before we log them as found and drop them off now.

what's a QR code?

and yes, I am going crazy trying to keep them all separate. :stabby Yesterday, I mistook Secret Frog Red 1 for for Secret Frog Red 3. So I sent Red 3 to Canberra but I took Red 1 home by mistake. That's not much good becasue I've already found Red 1 only 1 person ago and so I can't find or hide him again until another cacher moves him - which was why I wanted to take Red 3 home as it was 2 finders between for him. So NOW what do I do?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 05 December 11 9:36 am

I'm making sure I don't have more than 2 on me at any time

So confusing!

The Empire

Post by The Empire » 05 December 11 9:52 am

I've been writing the GA numbers underneath them. I'm hoping someone comes and grabs them all in Williamstown - I think they are still in the wrong order! \:D/

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 December 11 10:13 am

blossom* wrote:
CraigRat wrote:

what's a QR code?

and yes, I am going crazy trying to keep them all separate. :stabby Yesterday, I mistook Secret Frog Red 1 for for Secret Frog Red 3. So I sent Red 3 to Canberra but I took Red 1 home by mistake. That's not much good becasue I've already found Red 1 only 1 person ago and so I can't find or hide him again until another cacher moves him - which was why I wanted to take Red 3 home as it was 2 finders between for him. So NOW what do I do?
Just log a find and move it on. The rule is to stop people gaming the system, not to penalise for honest mistakes. I'm not going to DQ for this reason.

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 05 December 11 10:15 am

I almost got myself very confused last night with two similar flatish frogs.
I had 5 frogs in my bag and was dumping them all along the beach front in Adelaide and if not for taking pics with my Oregon 550 I would totally have mixed them all up and lost track of who was where. Thank goodness it takes co-ords down WITH the pics! \:D/

Taiko'sFamily

Post by Taiko'sFamily » 05 December 11 11:48 am

I saw a log against Ferdy Frog that said he was seen at the christmas party - only problem is he didn't go to the geocaching party, and was only dropped off by us in his new hidey hole about 4pm - so I think it is a case of mistaken identity.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 05 December 11 11:52 am

Taiko'sFamily wrote:I saw a log against Ferdy Frog that said he was seen at the christmas party - only problem is he didn't go to the geocaching party, and was only dropped off by us in his new hidey hole about 4pm - so I think it is a case of mistaken identity.
And then there are the GA codes written on frogs that blur a bit and look like a different code altogether! (s-a-l removed the log and thanks for the heads up)

Taiko'sFamily

Post by Taiko'sFamily » 05 December 11 1:26 pm

s-a-l is welcome, I was still figuring out how to pm him :)