Hola, another 'cacher

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
takagawa-kun

Hola, another 'cacher

Post by takagawa-kun » 29 October 04 8:03 pm

Hey everyone, today I join the pack :). Last couple of days, I've been lurking around the Software/Hardware forum for details in buying a GPS. And today I've got mine shiny new Garmin Legend. So my first geocache was the '<a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... bd44149">A Kiddies Haven</a>' in Dandenong, since it was close by. A very tricksy hiding spot for the cache, very enjoyable indeed ^^. <br><br>

Although I became a little confused when I first tried it, my GPS led me into the middle of a school across the road =. Let's just say the maintainance guys there were wondering who the hell was this guy trespassing on private property ^^;;. Then I started to fiddle with the 'Datum' setting and it got onto the right one that pointed across to the correct location. I still don't get what that setting does, I'll figure it out later :]. <br><br>

So anyways, I love it, I hope to continue this rather adventurous sport, and I also hope to rectify the lack of caches in the Dandenong area as well.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 29 October 04 8:15 pm

A datum is something used as a basis for calculating and measuring. In the case of GPS, datums are different calculations for determining longitude and latitude for a given location.

You should be set to WGS84 which is the datum that is used by GC.com

You may find maps that use different datums such as Australian Geodetic Datum (AGD66) or Geocentric Datum of Australia (GDA94).

These will put you in slightly different spots (as you have noticed).

For geocaching, use WGS84 and you're set.