Cache/puzzle spoilers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Diadem
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Re: Cache/puzzle spoilers

Post by Diadem » 22 November 11 8:30 am

I post so little that I must bear a stricking resemblance to a troll, but anyway...

I'm not fond of puzzle caches. I get some satisfaction from solving those that I do, but wouldn't get any satisfaction from just swapping coords. Sometimes I get the feeling that more than a few puzzle people are more interested in puzzles than geocaching. Me I want to go out with a set of coords and find a little box (or whatever) I don't want to slave over complex cryptographic techniques, software manuals, etc just to get the coords of an eclipse tin (sorry that was a low blow). I stuggle to find time to geocache and don't want to waste lot of that time by not geocaching, i.e. solving puzzles. I started geocaching as a way to get me out of the house, not to stay in my house trying to solve multi-layered puzzles.

There are behaviours I'm not fond of - people trashing GZ looking for caches, people claiming finds because they've been handed the cache, puzzle caches, etc. Swapping coords may be rude, but two wrongs don't make a right.

I have to agree with Facitman's therapist - it feels good.

mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Re: Cache/puzzle spoilers

Post by mtbikeroz » 22 November 11 5:14 pm

And for a different take:

Agree with Norkmeister originally, OK with group solving* etc etc etc.

As holder of several puzzles in the ACT, I have seen the solution technique to two of my puzzles published in these forums, by a reviewer no less! But before you jump the gun and complain, ask who, or delete this posting - I say - I don't care. (And I hold NOTHING against the person for doing so - he did it to explain something (Why he chose then I don't know), but he also knew full well the "consequences")

Why? (Why Don't I care?)

It's one thing solving a puzzle, it's another getting to the cache - especially when it involves a 20km return hike cross country across some of the ACT's roughest terrain, and / or some severe Mountain biking on long steep fire trails thrown in too!

I have seen these and other solutions to some of my 4.5 terrain caches "passed around", but how many extra people have gone out there and found them, other than the genuine puzzle & terrain mad cachers????? - NONE! :shock:

*Group solving - OK if all participate, or are involved initially somehow. I suspect/know one 5/5 in the recent past, solved "by me in a group" (The ftf group of 7 or so was a real hoot & fun night) has had its solution passed around here in the ACT over time - Their loss, not mine.

Agree with the Bear also with his comment about the positive experience for real solvers. It's good to solve something, after so much &*(%^&^%&*^)*(^)*&%*&%!!!! anguish.

And if someone shows me real progress, I am always happy to help them solve my puzzles. Some I have had to lead many times - but then again, so have I on other's caches. LOL.