Australian Power Trails

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Re: Australian Power Trails (BMPT)

Post by pjmpjm » 08 September 12 9:06 pm

Zalgariath wrote:Only one I have attempted is the Blue Mountains GCA Power Trail... and even that is not really a PT as there are several kilometres between each cache, and no micros ;) It was great fun!
And you and your colleagues were the first to complete all 60 BMPTs in a single day!

budgietas
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re: Australian Power Trails

Post by budgietas » 12 September 12 6:00 am

I assume that the series of caches with tour de France winners are a power trail. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=gc3ftm7

Oh and will the lance Armstrong caches be removed once he is stripped of the titles?

Marcus Vitruvius
5000 or more caches found

Post by Marcus Vitruvius » 28 October 12 9:25 am

Sorry to have to dredge up another conversation on power trails...but there has been a new trail put out along the High Country Rail Trail from Talkangatta to Wodonga spanning 44 kms and approximately 105 or so caches. I had the pleasure of doing most of the series yesterday...and loved it...but...on the local forums...there are some who don't...(without of course never having found any caches on it, or any other power trail for that matter). Now everyone's entitled to their opinion...but I thought I'd share the comments of two cachers in particular who found it necessary to have a go at the people who put it out. The reason for bringing it to the attention of the wider Australian caching community is that the Albury/Wodonga caching community is quite small, and I wanted to provide some support and feedback to the CO's of the power trail that there are a lot of cachers who will enjoy this type of caching...

From Sarrett...

1. Very sorry my first post is going to be negative, I promise I will post a few positives!

I'm quite annoyed that my inbox just got flooded with 100 odd new caches placed along the Albury rail trail. Literally every 60 m (or whatever the min distance is) there is a cache.

I'm a strong believer in quality, not quantity. It was hard to cache in Canada due to the attitude of 'well there is no cache marked on the map here so I will throw one in' and I really don't want us to go down that road.

So to the organisation that has placed this series, if you are wanting to promote the area (I suspect that they have been placed by the council as the user has no geocache finds) a few clever hides in interesting areas will excite most cachers more than 100 cr*ppy caches placed along the trail.

Grrr

And from Bingley3683

I'm afraid I agree with Sarrett. This seems a meaningless series - as Ministro says 'a cache must have a reason for being there'. How many of these have?
Also I actually placed 2 caches at the bridge 2 weeks ago and applied for approval and was told there was another cacher planning to put 2 there - I assumed they were working on a tricky puzzle or multi not the boilerplate series I now find. (which now also preclude anyone else from placing any tricky or interesting ones along the Trail).

The idea of someone placing and having approved 109 caches before they've even found ONE, is strange to say the least....Is this team ready to start maintaining 109 caches?

Sorry but I won't be bothering with any of these.....

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 28 October 12 10:42 am

Do you have a link to that thread Marcus? I can't find it

Marcus Vitruvius

Post by Marcus Vitruvius » 28 October 12 10:49 am

Sorry...I probably should have made that clearer. The discussion is on the local Albury Wodonga forums...so I'm not sure the wider community will be able to see it. I knew that by posting it here, there would be a greater number of more experiences cachers to share their opinions rather than just the three or four who regular visit the local forums. I just wanted to be able to take some more feedback to the locals who don't visit these forums.
Last edited by Marcus Vitruvius on 28 October 12 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 28 October 12 10:51 am

yeah I had a thought that might be the case lol. I notice neither person has ever posted here. Maybe it should be suggested they place GCA caches if they need to use the area ;)

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 28 October 12 4:38 pm

I don't personally have a huge problem with it per se, but having looked at some of the listings what I don't like is the generic text that is the same for each cache, with all that varies is the hint and occasionally size. I would prefer to see some info on the particular location chosen for each cache and what was significant about that spot.

Of course I am probably missing the point of a power trail, which isn't to see new things and learn stuff, but to get numbers up.

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 28 October 12 5:21 pm

MV you sure do get around..
:lol:

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 28 October 12 6:22 pm

I have a theory that MV can divide himself into at least 6 separate MVs, and 5 of them go off caching in various directions, whilst the 6th is obviously a wonderful family man. :-)

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 28 October 12 6:29 pm

Like this? but they weren't perfect copies ;)

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 28 October 12 6:39 pm

Cheesy pigs wrote:Image

Like this? but they weren't perfect copies ;)
You could have at least 'shopped his head on :)

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 29 October 12 8:59 am

Marcus Vitruvius wrote:Now everyone's entitled to their opinion...
Great idea, and likely to attract cachers to the area hunting numbers, as evidenced by those who have been to, or are planning on going to, the Port Macquarie area.

I sure wouldn't complain if I woke up to 100 new nearby caches, I've got to drive a LONG way to get those kinds of numbers!

belken

Post by belken » 29 October 12 10:18 am

Hoojar wrote:
Marcus Vitruvius wrote:Now everyone's entitled to their opinion...
Great idea, and likely to attract cachers to the area hunting numbers, as evidenced by those who have been to, or are planning on going to, the Port Macquarie area.

I sure wouldn't complain if I woke up to 100 new nearby caches, I've got to drive a LONG way to get those kinds of numbers!
Whereas I find that even with the greater numbers of caches its very difficult to find a caching experience that works for us. I can be very critical of power trails and having looked at the one mentioned I am sure it will attract a cacher whose experience is initially measured by numbers but it would be ignored by us. Even if you say there is a good caching experience in it for us. We are just not going to sift through the numbers to work it out by reading exactly the same thing on each cache page.

We are in the minority with regards to numbers. But power trails are notorious for the numbers grabbing and not the language of location and even if you believe this one is different the fact that the solution was a power trail will taint it with like minded people.

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 29 October 12 2:57 pm

tronador wrote:MV you sure do get around..
:lol:
He sure does, he left his tag in the Base Backpackers in Queenstown... :mrgreen:

Marcus Vitruvius

Post by Marcus Vitruvius » 29 October 12 3:57 pm

Haha...Gold! I might have to use that for my next design...just not sure about the glasses!