Australian Power Trails

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
rogerw3
8000 or more caches found

Re: Australian Power Trails

Post by rogerw3 » 27 December 11 8:56 am

tronador wrote:Well you can get out your camera and wave cause blossom*, Zalgariath and I are attempting it in one day. We insist that rogerw3 watches us cross the finish line.
:twisted: \:D/

Well while I might not be at the finishing line, if I am in Lithgow at the time I might shout you a Cappuccino (or chocolate for blossom*) mind you this could possibly cost you some Frogs! :frog :shock:

On the other hand I could go to Sydney since the terrible trio would not be stealing frogs before I get there! :frogette [-X

Good luck, and keep in mind that due to the recent torrential rain in the mountains you may very well have to empty and dry quite a few of the container. you can blame my lack of foresight for using mostly cheap containers. #-o

Go team BTZ.

:frog :gnome :frogette :gnomette

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Team BTZ Mountain Blitz

Post by pjmpjm » 27 December 11 11:40 am

blossom* wrote:
tronador wrote:Well you can get out your camera and wave cause blossom*, Zalgariath and I are attempting it in one day. We insist that rogerw3 watches us cross the finish line.
And we need pjmpjm waiting at the most difficult one, showing us where to look :lol:
So let us know when . . . we might have to get prepared mentally . . . :wink:

Keego_and_Chil

Post by Keego_and_Chil » 24 August 12 12:46 pm

Hi there from the West Coast, the Wandoo series was released in July 2012. It has around 130 caches and a bonus. It stretches for about 300 kms.

toy hunters
5000 or more caches found

Post by toy hunters » 03 September 12 9:18 pm

In the ACT, we have a new PT of 52 caches. It's named "50 Must See Places". Each cache is named after a must see place around the world. I still need to go out there and do it, but from what I've heard, it's a fantastic PT to do!

Bookmark Listing - http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/vie ... 515409e457

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 05 September 12 12:36 am

The Wandering Heroes SERIES in NOT a powertrail even though some people have tried to make it so by dumping caches irresponsibly as close to the road as possible without them actually touching bitumen. :roll:
It was NEVER set out as a powertrail and few regard it as such.

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 05 September 12 12:59 pm

MtnLioness wrote:The Wandering Heroes SERIES in NOT a powertrail even though some people have tried to make it so by dumping caches irresponsibly as close to the road as possible without them actually touching bitumen. :roll:
It was NEVER set out as a powertrail and few regard it as such.

Whether you like it or not, over 200 caches lined up along a country road is a power trail. :D Everyone I have spoken to thinks it is one.

I have occasionally considered what would happen if one put out a handful of caches spread along a road, and then other people came along and filled in all the gaps. By default your original caches would them form part of a power trail. Such is caching.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 05 September 12 7:40 pm

Alansee wrote: Whether you like it or not, over 200 caches lined up along a country road is a power trail. :D Everyone I have spoken to thinks it is one.
Agreed

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 06 September 12 4:14 pm

Alansee wrote:Whether you like it or not, over 200 caches lined up along a country road is a power trail. :D Everyone I have spoken to thinks it is one.

I have occasionally considered what would happen if one put out a handful of caches spread along a road, and then other people came along and filled in all the gaps. By default your original caches would them form part of a power trail. Such is caching.
The first time I saw it on a map I saw it was a power trail

o'cholio

Post by o'cholio » 06 September 12 8:37 pm

I am one of the minority out there who isn't a big fan of power trails. But a few nights ago, I broke my oath, teamed up with a friend and did an 11km run for 50+ caches in a Canberra nature reserve.

But it isn't a power trail, because:
- We weren't driving, we were running.
- Power trail caches have to be 160m apart. These were easily 180m!
- Power trails, by definition1, must comprise at least 55 caches. This series was only 52.
- It is often stated2 that power trails must take a minimum of two hours to complete. We did this in 1 3/4 hrs.
- When viewed on a map, the shape of the caches doesn't draw a picture.
- I enjoyed this series. I don't enjoy power trails.

:-"

1. Actual wording of definition may vary.
2. I think I was talking to somebody who heard someone say this at an event once. So it must be true.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 06 September 12 8:48 pm

o'cholio wrote:I am one of the minority out there who isn't a big fan of power trails. But a few nights ago, I broke my oath, teamed up with a friend and did an 11km run for 50+ caches in a Canberra nature reserve.

- Power trails, by definition1, must comprise at least 55 caches. This series was only 52.
- It is often stated2 that power trails must take a minimum of two hours to complete. We did this in 1 3/4 hrs.

2. I think I was talking to somebody who heard someone say this at an event once. So it must be true.
You should try the Woodlands 100 (when the whole area is open again). I felt the same way about it, even though I broke my bike on it.

Marcus Vitruvius

Post by Marcus Vitruvius » 07 September 12 12:30 am

noikmeister wrote:
Alansee wrote: Whether you like it or not, over 200 caches lined up along a country road is a power trail. :D Everyone I have spoken to thinks it is one.
Agreed
Without a doubt!

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 07 September 12 8:54 am

o'cholio wrote:I am one of the minority out there who isn't a big fan of power trails. But a few nights ago, I broke my oath, teamed up with a friend and did an 11km run for 50+ caches in a Canberra nature reserve.

This made me giggle. It reminded me of a saying "I'm not an alcoholic, those guys go to meetings. I'm a drunk"

Alansee

Post by Alansee » 07 September 12 4:41 pm

I have to say that so far, the Power Trails that have been placed in Australia have been above the ordinary (and I will declare my position - I was involved in one).

Why?

- Because they have been of very limited numbers, (with the possible exception of the Wandering Heroes, but that is a specific exception, and still not that big)
- Because they have been for a specific reason (a place, a celebration of something,)
- they have not been under a pile of rocks every 500 feet,
- Effort has often been put into the hides themselves.

Long may it last. =D>

Richary

Post by Richary » 08 September 12 1:52 am

I will start by saying I have never done a power trail. As for the Wandering Heroes series in SA the only involvement is that one of the caches has my name on it :D Started as recognition for cachers and people have added to it so it becomes a power trail by default, but it was never planned AFAIK to be such with more people adding things to it.

Still, if the SA Mega happens in 2014 I might well be trying to nab a lot of them on the drive over!

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 08 September 12 4:42 pm

Only one I have attempted is the Blue Mountains GCA Power Trail... and even that is not really a PT as there are several kilometres between each cache, and no micros ;) It was great fun!