Cache contents

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
wyrdsister
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Cache contents

Post by wyrdsister » 06 November 11 8:23 pm

:? Why is it that many people don't replace items in a cache with something interesting? Kids had a disappointing day with really poor treasure. (did you really think I needed a pen lid?) What are some of the best things people have found?

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Re: Cache contents

Post by noikmeister » 06 November 11 8:40 pm

I think cache contents degrade over time. My son never puts in anything he thinks is worth keeping and hence probably others kids wouldn't want either. I had a day a bit like that yesterday and it got me to thinking that people should go and replace the crap with new, good quality swaps. Especially if the cache is targeted as kid-friendly. I think the best thing I got was these cool magnet thingos. Hard to describe, they were oval shaped and made cool noises.

andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by andiamo » 06 November 11 9:37 pm

I'd also be interested to hear what people traded for these interesting things they took :roll:

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 06 November 11 9:41 pm

I dunno, perhaps different people get different things from caching.

I can't think of the last time we swapped something in a cache.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 06 November 11 9:52 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:I dunno, perhaps different people get different things from caching.

I can't think of the last time we swapped something in a cache.
Me either. I only swap when I am caching with my son.

ForYourEyesOnly

Post by ForYourEyesOnly » 06 November 11 10:23 pm

Maybe my wide-eyed rose-coloured view of geocaches has changed over the two years I've been at it but my feeling is that swag has degenerated over the past couple of years. It's disappointing to me. I may not want to swap anything but at least I'm interested to see what's in a cache if just for curiosity value.

With this in mind I've undertaken to (where possible) actually put something in the cache and not remove anything in the hope that the next finder may find it at least a degree more interesting. However, I don't put anything in a cache that is moisture compromised; only in caches that have a good chance of the contents being preserved in a decent condition.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 06 November 11 10:37 pm

Yes the geoboy used to always go through all the swag and often find something to swap. On odd occasions we wouldn't have something of equal or greater value so there was no trade. In the past year we've hardly found anything to swap at all. New caches often have nothing in them (by noobs) plus there are sooo many nanos that hold nothing which reduces the opportunities. The geoboy is also growing up so has less interest in trinkets however we have cleaned out a lot of stuff at home (nothing rubbishy) and have started putting it into caches without taking anything trying to raise the standard.
Got a whole swag of swag at present, just need some caches to put it in.

In my travels I've found that Brisbane has the worst swag by far but that's based on a smaller sample size.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 06 November 11 11:16 pm

Personally these days I don't really care about swaps having been at it for 8 years. I am more interested in finding the thing. However that said a few years ago I did have kids caching with me back in Adelaide, and they were more interested in the swaps than the hunt. So I generally kept a supply of reasonable swaps with me to replace what they wanted to take.

If I place one I try to put some reasonable swaps in, but aren't that interested in maintaining the swap level if others don't trade fair.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 06 November 11 11:42 pm

My swaps are polished semi precious stones & purchase these from a lapidary club. I don't leave one in every cache, only those I consider deserving.

The last 10 caches I've hidden are all GCA & for the ICEM ones in particular, the contents have been of a higher quality. If people swap fairly then the contents will always be attractive. In reality of course some people think a Maccas' toy is a wonderous thing. I'm waiting for Zazz to advertize throwies again as the supply is getting low.

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 06 November 11 11:59 pm

I placed a lot of caches over the past 8 years and normally all of them degenerate. The swaps just disappear over time ... except for this one: www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCJRCC

It's a 50 litre box which just keeps filling. Every now and then I had to go there and take stuff out because there was too much in there.

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 07 November 11 8:32 am

I used to carry a bag of swaps around but found there was never anything worth swapping so most the time the swag bag remains in the caching box at home unless I got out with a friend with kids. The only thing I take out of caches now is cache trash and it is a shame that about every second cache I go to has some type of trash in it that some cacher at one stage believed was of value to other cachers.

I notice more so now the value of trade items in new caches dropped down very quickly with very few cachers respecting the trade even guidelines.

wyrdsister

Post by wyrdsister » 07 November 11 2:09 pm

Sorry Philippe I think that cache is going to have to wait for a while a tad far from Vic at the moment. :lol: What do people suggest as good kids booty ?

TwoDrews
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen
Twitter: _macca_

Post by TwoDrews » 09 November 11 5:30 pm

wyrdsister wrote:What do people suggest as good kids booty ?
Here's an idea for kid's booty I came up with today. Haven't put them into any caches so end-user acceptance hasn't been fully tested yet, but FWIW my 13yo son thinks it's a pretty cool idea.

The bird cards are from packets of Tuckfield's Tea. I have 300 of them that my parents collected over many years. Not worth much on eBay.

I used to collect stamps and ended up with envelopes full of spares. Was going to toss them all then I thought to use them in caches, they might get a kid or two interested.

Everything else is from Officeworks. The stickers come in packets of 100 and I cut the sheets in half, cost is 9c to 18c. The (washable!) pen comes in a pack of 12 and work out at 33c each. The Simpsons erasers come in a pack of 5 for $3 (60c each) and is probably the coolest thing there so I didn't mind spending extra on them.

The baggies cost $3 for 100 at PakStat (3c each) and the labels I already had, but probably cost a similar amount each.

All up cost is just over a dollar. I'm thinking initially I'll just drop maybe four at a time into my own caches. I rarely do any swag swapping in other caches, mainly because my son rarely finds anything interesting.

Comments welcome.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 09 November 11 6:26 pm

I have no idea what makes a good swap for a child, but that looks good.

What REALLY impresses me is that it has a value on it! On the rare occasion that I take a fancy to something in a cache, I have no idea whatsoever to replace the item with. I am sure that I sometimes leave a replacement that is a lot more or less valuable.

Great idea! I love it! I may steal it! The part about valuing swaps. :-)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 November 11 6:29 pm

No, no, no.
You're not supposed to steal it, you're supposed to swap for it 8-[