Left Handed Geocachers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Are you right-handed, left-handed or ambidextrous?

Right-handed
68%
Left-handed
26%
Ambidextrous
6%

Total votes: 81

ForYourEyesOnly

Left Handed Geocachers

Post by ForYourEyesOnly » 02 November 11 8:10 pm

I read that lefthanders are over represented in those professions that use spacial ability - such as architects and in the past, navigators. (As an aside 25% of the Apollo astronauts were left-handed, and I don't know what it means but 4 out of the 5 members of the design team on the first Mac were also left-handed).
This got me thinking - are left-handers over represented in the Geocaching community (being a spacial activity)?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Re: Left Handed Geocachers

Post by SamCarter » 02 November 11 8:39 pm

I selected right-handed, since that is my natural dexterity, but I taught myself a degree of ambidexterity by taking my calculus notes left-handed when I was in first year uni. :roll:

rbirtles
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by rbirtles » 02 November 11 8:50 pm

I came from a school system from the past where they tried to make left handed people right handed but due to my stubborness and nature's demands I always ended up going back to being left handed. I could class myself as ambidextrous in many ways but I have voted left handed because that is how nature intended me to be.

Interesting topic - I'll be interested in the results.

Rob.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 02 November 11 9:26 pm

SamCarter wrote:I selected right-handed, since that is my natural dexterity, but I taught myself a degree of ambidexterity by taking my calculus notes left-handed when I was in first year uni. :roll:
Interesting way to make calculus more interesting.... :mrgreen:

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 02 November 11 9:49 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:
SamCarter wrote:I selected right-handed, since that is my natural dexterity, but I taught myself a degree of ambidexterity by taking my calculus notes left-handed when I was in first year uni. :roll:
Interesting way to make calculus more interesting.... :mrgreen:
I think you'll need to come up with something more left field than that to make calculus notes interesting.
I remember a commentator earlier in the year saying that left footers were over represented in the Richmond Football Club ... it didn't work for them either ....

Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Post by Dvixen » 03 November 11 7:44 am

Selected Ambidexterous, I'm a produ
    ct of a achool system where teachers were encouraged to ... encourage students to conform. :evil:

I wish i could remember where i saw it, but there is belief theright vs left could be close to an even split as the encouragement to be right handed goes extinct. Would like to see the split in another 50.

Lucy
    3000 or more caches found

Post by Lucy » 03 November 11 9:24 am

Dvixen wrote:Selected Ambidexterous, I'm a product of a achool system where teachers were encouraged to ... encourage students to conform. :evil:
    Me too! Pyscho nuns :stabby

I do many things with either hand, something which has proven to be very useful in my profession, so perhaps it was a blessing in disguise?

Team Wibble
    2100 or more geocaches found
    2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 03 November 11 9:48 am

A lefty here (well, this half of Team Wibble, the other half is a righty).

Luckily the only "conformity" I experienced as a child was my grandmother forcing me to use my cutlery right handed, otherwise "people would stare at me in restaurants" :shock:

Computer mice on the right in uni computer labs and a distinct lack of left handed scissors at school means I am ambidextrous when it comes to these two tasks. The mousing is particularly useful, because I can mouse and take notes at the same time. Often comes in handy when solving puzzles :mrgreen:

Interesting about the lefties/spatial ability. Although I've always loved spatially based activities - regular orienteer from the age of 5, cacher, etc, I have no innate sense of direction. I get turned around and confused in large shopping malls. I don't know which way is north when I am indoors or if I can't see the hills or the ocean in Adelaide. I do wonder if this is because of an early reliance on maps and compasses as a child (and later GPSrs).

CraigRat
    850 or more found!!!
    850 or more found!!!
    Twitter: CraigRat
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 03 November 11 11:02 am

I'm left handed for writing only

Everything else like golf or playing the guitar or whatnot I'm right handed

rbirtles

Post by rbirtles » 03 November 11 11:18 am

Here is an interesting test which helps determine whether you are left handed or not:

http://lefthanded.cdf-design.com/test/html_test.php

Cheers!
    Rob.

jusojara

Post by jusojara » 03 November 11 11:22 am

CraigRat wrote:I'm left handed for writing only

Everything else like golf or playing the guitar or whatnot I'm right handed
    I do everything that is single handed with my left by anything two handed I am right. I confuse them with cricket as I bowl left and bat right :? .

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 03 November 11 11:43 am

rbirtles wrote:Here is an interesting test which helps determine whether you are left handed or not:

Cheers!
    Rob.
    Interesting thing on this site is that they say left handed people prefer to have the gear stick on there left in the car. Does that mean Australia has more left handed people than USA? :-k
    I thought I was right handed in every way possible but I have no trouble with Australian cars...

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 03 November 11 12:31 pm

Some further research reveals that most countries used to drive on the left side because right handed horseman preferred to travel on the left so they could greet oncoming riders with there right hand. And slowly countries have changed to right side driving since. Maybe left hand drive (American) cars are easier for the right handed...
    Does that make Australia and UK left handed friendly countries? :D

ForYourEyesOnly

Post by ForYourEyesOnly » 03 November 11 12:55 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:Some further research reveals that most countries used to drive on the left side because right handed horseman preferred to travel on the left so they could greet oncoming riders with there right hand. And slowly countries have changed to right side driving since. Maybe left hand drive (American) cars are easier for the right handed...
    Does that make Australia and UK left handed friendly countries? :D
    Actually, it was oncoming riders used to pass each other on the left because this was less of a threat to both riders because their combat/weapon arm was the right-arm. Passing on the right of each other meant you were ready for combat. Napoleon formalised the practice of passing on the left on one another during his reign (and thus throughout much of Europe as he conquered it. Naturally the English couldn't agree with the French so they formalised the contrary - passing each other on the right. During the American Revolutionary War, France was an ally of America against the English...thus America adopted the French system.

ForYourEyesOnly

Post by ForYourEyesOnly » 03 November 11 12:57 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:
    rbirtles wrote:Here is an interesting test which helps determine whether you are left handed or not:

Cheers!
    Rob.
    Interesting thing on this site is that they say left handed people prefer to have the gear stick on there left in the car. Does that mean Australia has more left handed people than USA? :-k
    I thought I was right handed in every way possible but I have no trouble with Australian cars...
    For geocachers I had to laugh when the question was "Which hand do you hold the tupperware container in when you open it?"