Geocacher banned on unfair terms (IMO anyway)

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Should geocachespoilers (AKA Sven. on GC.com) be banned?

Yes he should.
46%
No he shouldn't be banned
54%

Total votes: 61

nutwood

Re: Geocacher banned on unfair terms (IMO anyway)

Post by nutwood » 01 November 11 2:58 pm

I can see the motivation for banning him but, as with most internet enforcement, it appears to be a pointless exercise. I seriously doubt they can prevent him rejoining under another identity so all they've achieved is to make an enemy and publicise the fact. Depending how determined he is, it now remains to be seen how much damage he can do to geocaching before getting bored with it all.
Much better to educate than aggravate.

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 01 November 11 4:16 pm

Devar wrote:I fail to see how terms & conditions can apply to the entire internet. They just can't. Geocaching.com are not the internet police. He should not have been banned. [-(
He hasn't been banned from the internet, just GC.com

budgietas
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by budgietas » 01 November 11 4:47 pm

nutwood wrote:I can see the motivation for banning him but, as with most internet enforcement, it appears to be a pointless exercise. I seriously doubt they can prevent him rejoining under another identity so all they've achieved is to make an enemy and publicise the fact. Depending how determined he is, it now remains to be seen how much damage he can do to geocaching before getting bored with it all.
Much better to educate than aggravate.
Totally Agree.... This was the point I was trying to get across before, just put I lot better than I could. ](*,)

lemmykc
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by lemmykc » 01 November 11 5:20 pm

roundcircle wrote:
Devar wrote:I fail to see how terms & conditions can apply to the entire internet. They just can't. Geocaching.com are not the internet police. He should not have been banned. [-(
He hasn't been banned from the internet, just GC.com
I think Devar was talking about how the terms and conditions state that you may not publish any spoilers on caches into any form of Media. He is absolutely right though: they can't apply to the whole internet.

I think that one thing that has come from this is just how snarky, mean and self centred the Groundspeak Lackeys have become. Their response to the Challenges anarchy was bad enough, but now this...... :-k ](*,)

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 01 November 11 6:27 pm

lemmykc wrote:I think that one thing that has come from this is just how snarky, mean and self centred the Groundspeak Lackeys have become. Their response to the Challenges anarchy was bad enough, but now this...... :-k ](*,)
I absolutely disagree: He chose to violate the TOU so he got banned. Of course he can sign up again but just because the consequences are minor it doesn't mean they are random and not rectified.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 November 11 6:48 pm

He did not breach the TOU.
http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx
All features, functions and areas of the geocaching.com website, including the Groundspeak Forums (http://forums.groundspeak.com), are governed by this Agreement and are also subject to such additional terms and conditions as Groundspeak may, from time to time, publicize. To post in the Groundspeak Discussion Forums, you must be 18 years or older, or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian.

You and not Groundspeak, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via the Site. You agree not to:

(m) Publish, in any form of media, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner.
He did not use "the site" to publish his videos, therefore he is not in breach of the ToU.

FarmerFrentzen
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by FarmerFrentzen » 02 November 11 7:18 am

caughtatwork wrote:He did not breach the TOU.
http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx
All features, functions and areas of the geocaching.com website, including the Groundspeak Forums (http://forums.groundspeak.com), are governed by this Agreement and are also subject to such additional terms and conditions as Groundspeak may, from time to time, publicize. To post in the Groundspeak Discussion Forums, you must be 18 years or older, or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian.

You and not Groundspeak, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via the Site. You agree not to:

(m) Publish, in any form of media, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner.
He did not use "the site" to publish his videos, therefore he is not in breach of the ToU.
Agreed. Item (m) should not be read in isolation. Section 4 relates to use of the Groundspeak Website and Forums.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 02 November 11 11:58 am

Can anyone else see the irony in this thread?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 November 11 1:19 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:Can anyone else see the irony in this thread?
Nope. My irony meter must be malfunctioning.

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 02 November 11 1:49 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Nope. My irony meter must be malfunctioning.
I'm a liberated woman. I don't do irony. I just fold the clothes neatly after they've dried.

ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by ruzzelz » 02 November 11 11:05 pm

:-k :-k ](*,) ](*,) :-" :-" [-X :^o =; =; #-o #-o 8-[ 8-[ :-$ :-$ :-& :-& :-# :-# [-o< :roll: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :( :( :cry: :cry: :wink:

winterdragon
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by winterdragon » 03 November 11 1:31 pm

Nope. Couldn't spot it. I've checked for hidden text, converted text to numbers, performed a frequency analysis on the text looking for encryption or steganography, and checked the EXIF tags on the images. It's well hidden - what's the difficulty rating on this puzzle?

belken

Post by belken » 03 November 11 6:47 pm

I think it may be that Groundspeak is attempting to protect a cache owners "rights" and we complain they don't protect a cache owners "rights".

However I have never seen a benevolence in Groundspeak(That is in the last 6 years). My impression is that they will do things that benefit them. I must admit I can't see how this benefits them but why pick this fight. There is something in this fight that is different..

Or it maybe just a return to the good old days of when the development team listened to the community and worked with them to progress the game.

Oink oink flutter flutter

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 03 November 11 9:21 pm

All features, functions and areas of the geocaching.com website, including the Groundspeak Forums (http://forums.groundspeak.com), are governed by this Agreement and are also subject to such additional terms and conditions as Groundspeak may, from time to time, publicize.
Which adds a different issue, does Groundspeak "publicize" any changes to the Agreement, or am I just expected to read it every time I log on? I don't recall seeing any changes to it flagged in the weekly emails, and I don't regularly follow their forums.

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 03 November 11 9:43 pm

Richary wrote:
Which adds a different issue, does Groundspeak "publicize" any changes to the Agreement,
As if they'd bother, judging by their behaviour considering the careless attitude regarding the challenges and all the other changes that didn't go down so well lately I don't think they give two hoots about what we think nor about letting us know what they're about to do/have done. They do something, don't care what we think and justify it with blockading and dismissing and expect us to all suck it up.
Just like they expect this guy to do.